Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Holland v Norn Iron, 7pm BBC2

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,250 ✭✭✭✭briany

You'll be waiting a long time. Anyone with a Republic of Ireland IP is blocked/banned.

That must be a new thing and not very well thought through. That would mean southern based GAWA faithful won't be able to get on without resorting to proxies etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I wonder did that result gain any supporters in Norm Iron for SF All Ireland team idea.
    Why would we have an all-Ireland team? The people who support Northern Ireland are British, they will never have any interest in following a team with players from the Republic of Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Paul4As wrote: »
    Yeah...probably by an ex-Northern Irish youth player! :D

Who is Irish!! You don't really mean the smilely face!! We all know that's an act, buddy!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

That game could have honestly been 10-0.

Van Der Vaart's shot that nearly looped Carroll was awesome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Why would we have an all-Ireland team? The people who support Northern Ireland are British, they will never have any interest in following a team with players from the Republic of Ireland.

Rugby? Hockey? Cricket? They seem to have no problem supporting ROI born players in those sports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

You'd feel sorry for the North. But it's a tiny country.

Holland ironically being smaller again :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Samich wrote: »

The Netherlands is a much bigger country!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Samich wrote: »

efb wrote: »
    The Netherlands is a much bigger country!

As my dutch friend tells me Holland is only part of The Netherlands, like Leinster or Munster.

Holland- Area
    5,488 square kilometres
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holland

Netherlands- Area
    41,543 km2

Norm Iron- Area
    13,843 km2

• Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭slingerz

What NI player would make the Irish side apart from Johnny Evans!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

slingerz wrote: »

James mc Clean?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Digitalism

dreamers75 wrote: »
    James mc Clean?
    not sure if youve heard, but hes already playing for the republic...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

slingerz wrote: »

Darron Gibson?

Oh wait he is on the bench.

Marc Wilson?

Oh wait he is not good enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Don't forget Pat McCourt if we needed someone to tear the Faroe Islands or San Marino apart.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

kitakyushu wrote: »
    Don't forget Pat McCourt if we needed someone to tear the Faroe Islands or San Marino apart.

Who? No really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,250 ✭✭✭✭briany

As my dutch friend tells me Holland is only part of The Netherlands, like Leinster or Munster.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭the realpigiron

I was surprised when Michael O'Neill left Shamrock Rovers to take that job. O'Neill was/is a young manager that may get an opportunity to manage in Scotland and England. Taking the NI job was backward step for him to take from managing Rovers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

Rugby? Hockey? Cricket? They seem to have no problem supporting ROI born players in those sports.

Fine, you go up to Ballymena and East Belfast and tell the locals there should be an all- Ireland football team because some minority sports have 'em.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

I was surprised when Michael O'Neill left Shamrock Rovers to take that job. O'Neill was/is a young manager that may get an opportunity to manage in Scotland and England. Taking the NI job was backward step for him to take from managing Rovers.

I reckon International football is a better shop window than going to some bottom of the prem spl team. I can't think of any LOI manager who ever went to the prem or championship via the spl or league1. Sanchez and Hamilton got Fulham and Norwich on the back of Nir stints. That said tho losing 6-0 against Holland rather than beating England , Spain, Sweden etc probably has a lot to do with it.

Also if the best solution you can come up with vs superior opposition is to just play a deep 4-5-1 with no countering presence (he did the same in the Shamrock Rvs europa games) then I don't think you should be worried about people knocking down your door with job offers anyway. Last night by the end Holland were playing their full backs as pretty much legit wingers as they knew the North weren't even going to try attack. Makes the job so much easier when you know that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭the realpigiron

kitakyushu wrote: »
    I reckon International football is a better shop window than going to some bottom of the prem spl team. I can't think of any LOI manager who ever went to the prem or championship via the spl or league1. Sanchez and Hamilton got Fulham and Norwich on the back of Nir stints. That said tho losing 6-0 against Holland rather than beating England , Spain, Sweden etc probably has a lot to do with it.

Also if the best solution you can come up with vs superior opposition is to just play a deep 4-5-1 with no countering presence (he did the same in the Shamrock Rvs europa games) then I don't think you should be worried about people knocking down your door with job offers anyway. Last night by the end Holland were playing their full backs as pretty much legit wingers as they knew the North weren't even going to try attack. Makes the job so much easier when you know that.

I think if Pat Fenlon can get some relative success at Hibs - he'll be given next season to see what he can do - then he'd get an offer from the EPL or Championship perhaps if that's what he wants. Tony Mowbray got the WBA job on the back of getting Hibs to finish 3rd in the SPL. Managing NI looks like it's going to be a thankless task for O'Neill.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

I'm still waiting for Our Wee Country to approve my registration. Boy I'd be having a laugh now...
    You'll be waiting a long time. Anyone with a Republic of Ireland IP is blocked/banned.

I used a proxy though. Confused =-O

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

I think if Pat Fenlon can get some relative success at Hibs - he'll be given next season to see what he can do - then he'd get an offer from the EPL or Championship perhaps if that's what he wants. Tony Mowbray got the WBA job on the back of getting Hibs to finish 3rd in the SPL. Managing NI looks like it's going to be a thankless task for O'Neill.

If Fenlon does well with Hibs it will go like so. Is he Irish? Yes. Celtic interested.
    I used a proxy though. Confused =-O

They can smell fenian blood!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

TBF, NornIron are in holiday mode and the dutchers are just off peak in prep for a major tournament. A spanking was always on the cards.
    I remember we got royally rogered by them at Lansdowne 5 or 6 years ago.
    4-0 if I rem rightly and that could have been 8 or 9.

Advertisement