Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Seeing other boards users online

• 02-06-2012 7:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭

Have you ever been in a public place and seen other boardsies online close to you?

I am sitting in a cafe and in south central Dublin, and I can see a young gentleman surfing boards. Would you say Hello in this situation?

It would be a bit awkward if the person were someone who was terribly shy, or hated your guts.

Anyone ever been in this situation?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I would assume the majority of Boards users rarely leave their house.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I was on Boards in an internet cafe a few years ago and this weirdo came in and started reading my posts over my shoulder and trying to spark up a conversation with me, he was a lot older and smelled of drink, just generally unwelcome attention and the guy behind the counter came over and turfed him out.

I then got a PM from another user referring to what had just transpired in the shop.. turned out to be the guy behind the counter :D was kinda bizarre..

I wonder if he's still around these parts.. I think his username was Syco or something like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Would be funny if whoever it was looks around, i.e is reading this thread.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Saw someone using it in work once.

Why on earth would I say hello to a stranger just because they were using boards?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

xzanti wrote: »
    I was on Boards in an internet cafe a few years ago and this weirdo came in and started reading my posts over my shoulder and trying to spark up a conversation with me, he was a lot older and smelled of drink, just generally unwelcome attention and the guy behind the counter came over and turfed him out.

I then got a PM from another user referring to what had just transpired in the shop.. turned out to be the guy behind the counter :D was kinda bizarre..

I wonder if he's still around these parts.. I think his username was Syco or something like that.

sure that could be any of us

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Sometimes see people in college on boards.

Wouldn't say anything, would be weird.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

Oh yeah, sorry Xzanti, that was me. I'm a guy in real life. All my posts on Boards about my "wimmens problems" are just a cover. And wishful thinking. You smell purdy tonight...

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Syco or something

I remember when I was working in a cafe some man who smelled like drink had to be kicked out for reading over someones shoulder. I then pmed the guy after it happened. I think his name was xzanti or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭TheBody

Hey op. Go over and give him the top secret boards greeting.......lick his face. He will then know you are a boards head too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Yes, I saw one of my college teachers on it. Turns out she's a mod, and I would have never known only for she was browsing in class that one time ;)

So be careful where you browse boards, if someone see's your username they'll be snooping your post history. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

later12 wrote: »
    Have you ever been in a public place and seen other boardsies online close to you?

I am sitting in a cafe and in south central Dublin, and I can see a young gentleman surfing boards. Would you say Hello in this situation?

It would be a bit awkward if the person were someone who was terribly shy, or hated your guts.

Anyone ever been in this situation?

Hello, is it me you're looking for....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

How many boardsies are there?

Ten thousand?
    Twenty thousand?
    Anyone know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I would assume the majority of Boards users rarely leave their house.

Wrong

I use boards on the go. How else would I pm people while watching them through their window?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I'd be much too shy to do something like that personally.
    mikemac1 wrote: »

Ten thousand?
    Twenty thousand?
    Anyone know?

I reckon about 20 billion but I'm not very good at estimates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

cocoshovel wrote: »
    So be careful where you browse boards, if someone see's your username they'll be snooping your post history. :eek:
    That's another reason I probably wouldn't say Hello

Me: Hey, you're on boards? Me too
    Him: Oh yeah? I'm mattjack(or someone)
    Me: Yeah, I'm Later12
    Him: Oh, that guy. [face drops]/ awkward silence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

You should just say hello to me him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Wrong

I use boards on the go. How else would I pm people while watching them through their window?

....there needs to be an improved interface though. Its very difficult to communicate, hang onto the window frame and have a good hard fap at the same time.

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Go to the boards.ie index, and at the bottom it says members: 555,161.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

later12 wrote: »
    That's another reason I probably wouldn't say Hello

Me: Hey, you're on boards? Me too
    Him: Oh yeah? I'm mattjack(or someone)
    Me: Yeah, I'm Later12
    Him: Oh, that guy. [face drops]/ awkward silence.

I just wouldnt say hellow because thats just a bit rude and nosey in general, and I wouldnt like some randomer etc coming up to me doing the same. I like to keep my online life and real life seperate, and would prefer people not knowing my real identidy. Of course thats not always avoidable but hey what can you do.

Some of my friends in class browse it too, and I might have said "ah hey you browse boards too" or something if I saw them, but thats a different story seeing as you know them well and can be friendly about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Syco or something

Pushtrak wrote: »
    Go to the boards.ie index, and at the bottom it says members: 555,161.

Yes but I have 17,000 accounts approximately so that can't be an accurate number. Unless you're allowed to count each account as a different person. Can we all (each of my personalities) claim the dole?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

cocoshovel wrote: »
    I just wouldnt say hellow because thats just a bit rude and nosey in general, and I wouldnt like some randomer etc coming up to me doing the same. I like to keep my online life and real life seperate, and would prefer people not knowing my real identidy. Of course thats not always avoidable but hey what can you do.

Some of my friends in class browse it too, and I might have said "ah hey you browse boards too" or something if I saw them, but thats a different story seeing as you know them well and can be friendly about it.
    Yeah, well I did say another reason. Obviously there is the privacy issue. That's why I started this thread as opposed to walking up to the guy. Just thought it's a bit of an unusual situation to be sitting beside someone you could have be speaking with online 5 minutes earlier or later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

It would depend really - if I could see their username and I found their posts amusing or agreed with their opinions I might say hello. Otherwise I'd move seats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I've seen a few people over the last year or 2 browsing Boards on their phones whilst i sat behind them on buses. I'd never say anything,you'd never know who they are!

Me: How's it going,i'm a fellow Boardsie.
    Him:Cool, I'm Boardsie1234
    Me: I'm Lord Lucan,nice to meet you.
    Him:I know you,you banned me from Rock & Metal before you miserable bastard.
    Me: Oh look,i think that's my bus stop coming up!

*****Runs away quickly!****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭Archeron

Wrong

Me too!! Incidentally, would you mind flicking over to sky news for a minute and opening the curtains a bit more?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

If I saw their username and it was someone who had once quoted me and said "fail" or "meh" I'd probably go over and stab them in the neck.

If I saw their username and it was someone who had once quoted me and said "fail" or "meh" I'd probably go over and stab them in the neck.
    But what if you were to try that and fail? Would you say meh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

boards ppl are generally anti social who avoid human contact as much as possible, sure, why not say hi...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

I'd go over, give em' a thumbs up and say 'thanks'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

I think there are boardsies out there working around the clock trying to find my home address so they can come burn me out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Remember seeing a car around with a boards.ie bumper sticker a few years ago. I'd beep at them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

oh, and where do you get these stickers?! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

candy-gal1 wrote: »
    oh, and where do you get these stickers?! :D

Boards bumper stick? :eek:

Candygal you need to change your avatar to nerdy hello kitty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

People are nosy bastards in internet cafes. Any time I've ever had to use one I'd have a shoulder surfer beside me. If I'm logged in I normally tab away boards if some cúnt is at it.

Not just in internet cafes, but nosy people in general for me is like showing a red rag to a bull.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

Other boads users scare me.

If I saw one I'd be mortified

(doesn't help that there's one right beside me :()

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Other boads users scare me.

If I saw one I'd be mortified

(doesn't help that there's one right beside me :()

Yeah.. about that.. the noose is tightening on that one, I think I know who it is ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

Abi wrote: »
    Yeah.. about that.. the noose is tightening on that one, I think I know who it is ;)

Haha I'll give ya one guess?

Irony is I didn't know he was a boardsie until I logged on and he went 'omg that's YOU!'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Battered Mars Bar

I wouldn't give it a second thought if saw a Boards user surfing in a public place but if I saw that they were using After Hours :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Abi wrote: »
    People are nosy bastards in internet cafes. Any time I've ever had to use one I'd have a shoulder surfer beside me. If I'm logged in I normally tab away boards if some cúnt is at it.

Not just in internet cafes, but nosy people in general for me is like showing a red rag to a bull.

When stuff like that happens (usually when I'm browsing on the phone in a bus or queue), I normally jump on Twitter and write a tweet saying something like, "Hey nosy cnut, your breath smells. Now kindly stop reading over my shoulder. Thanks."

Advertisement