Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ordinary level maths.

• 02-06-2012 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭

Hey guys, I've neglected ordinary maths quite a bit as I'm not counting to but I still want to do ok. Im happy enough for paper 1 but about paper 2, the new course seems to be a bot all over the place and i dont really know where to start revising! can anyone help:? Also does anyone have a list of things we need to know off by heart(i.e. theorems, formula's, constructions etc) and are there any questions that are almost guaranteed? Sorry for all the questions. Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭smithy77

I'm in the same boat!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Killian In The Name Of

I hate Paper 2 with a passion! It drives me mad. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭_pure_mule_

I know, there seems to be no structure to it at all! I dont know where to start revising:O

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Tuubbeess

For paper 2 - the main constructions that come up which is normally 5a on the paper is the circum circle and centre and the centroid - according to my teacher so make sure you know them :)

Tuubbeess wrote: »
    For paper 2 - the main constructions that come up which is normally 5a on the paper is the circum circle and centre and the centroid - according to my teacher so make sure you know them :)

Thank you:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

Know the empirical rule, the standard deviation, the interquartile range and the rest of that statistical goodness.
    Know all the constructions for that choice question, because constructions are so much easier than proving things about shapes inside circles.
    Know your co-ordinate geometry, especially the circle.
    Know the definitons like what a theorem, the converse etc. are.
    Probability... hate it, so confusing at times.

And I assume you know the Area & Volume question well since it's from the old Paper 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭annettesayz

Anyone know of any good websites to show how to construct?? Im useless at that stuff and the book doesnt teach me.. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

Anyone know of any good websites to show how to construct?? Im useless at that stuff and the book doesnt teach me.. :)

My teacher was always on about the project maths website but I never checked it out.
    Try geogebra too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I've neglected paper 2 completely the paper 2s too confusing and I only had one year to learn project maths well really only about 6months. I really need a c3.
    Paper 1 I'm not too bad just need to work more at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Munster07

Totally neglected pass maths as a whole! It's going to be fun entering into these papers! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Astrozombies

all constuctions are shown here :) they're interactive
    http://www.projectmaths.ie/students/cd-strand1and2/strand2-geoandtrig-junior.asp

basically, just know probability.. bionomial probability, and statistics
    geometry, trig, the circle :) you'll be graaaaand

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Chris68

Try this website - they have organised all the constructions and included video, flash, worksheets, etc.

http://cbsthurles.scoilnet.ie/blog/files/2011/05/Constructions-pdf.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Geo10

Same! I switched from higher at the start of 6th year and I got an A in JC HL Maths so everyone just assumes I'm fine with OL Maths and that I'll get an A but truthfully I've been putting off this subject all year, thinking that it doesn't matter cos it's pass Maths but I looked at a paper a while ago and I can't remember how to do a lot of things!!:( I may start studying for it cos even though I'm not counting it, it would be embarrassing to do bad when everyone is assuming I'll easily get an A! How much I hate other people's expectations... Literally the biggest source of stress in all my subjects!

subz3r0 wrote: »
    Know the empirical rule, the standard deviation, the interquartile range and the rest of that statistical goodness.
    Know all the constructions for that choice question, because constructions are so much easier than proving things about shapes inside circles.
    Know your co-ordinate geometry, especially the circle.
    Know the definitons like what a theorem, the converse etc. are.
    Probability... hate it, so confusing at times.

And I assume you know the Area & Volume question well since it's from the old Paper 2.
    Very helpful:) thanks!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭ConTheCat

For the constructions my maths teacher has the incircle or outcircle should come up, as it was sent out in an email recently!

Advertisement