Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is Earning Over 60K+ Still Considered A Good Wage These Days??

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

newmug wrote: »
    Yourself and the OP's friend need a good kick in he arse. I am a fully qualified electronic enginer. I started working for Intel (probably the most famous engineering company in the world) in2003, I was earning 290 Euro per week. Yes, you read that correctly. By 2011I was earning E500 per week.This was for 24 hour call-out availability, day and night, weekends, and even Christmas day. Thats what all the engineers in my area were on. I was made redundant last year along with 300 others. Only 3 people of my crew of 21 were kept. I didnt get a fraction of E60K for my redundancy after 8 years of loyal service. OP, your friend will get a nasty shock when he graduates if he thinks E60K per year is not a good wage.

Jaysus, I earn that from waitressing in a cafe!
    Though I imagine you find your job a lot more rewarding than cleaning tables ;). You should keep in mind also that you entered the job market in 2003, things are a lot more difficult for graduates these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Elvis_Presley

Dudess wrote: »
    Ideal age to be doing a phd IMO - still young but old enough to have the maturity for it. However it's a massive commitment and it's tough. Awful brokeness too as you say.

Go back and do a PhD with a few years experience in the real world - the difference in work ethic alone, i.e. used to doing 9-5 etc will make a massive difference. Plus all the other experience you would have gained from having worked a few years will make your time a lot easier, you'll get through work a lot quicker than someone without experience. One advantage that the younger people will have though is that they will never have earned real world money so you'll have to do some lifestyle adjustments, they won't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Sandwlch

Odysseus wrote: »
    Does your post not validate my point

Even more :confused::confused::confused:. I thought I was contradicting it.
    You state that they work for next to nothing. I that there are lots of people doing little or nothing yet being paid above average.
    :confused::confused: Am missing the validation bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Sandwlch wrote: »
    Even more :confused::confused::confused:. I thought I was contradicting it.
    You state that they work for next to nothing. I that there are lots of people doing little or nothing yet being paid above average.
    :confused::confused: Am missing the validation bit.

Try reading the bit of my post that states people think you earn loads of money for doing nothin. Your next post validated it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭theTinker

per month

Mortgage 700
    bills 350
    food & groceries 350
    pets 40
    transport 200
    discretionary 400

= 2040 + 25%(taxes) = €2550

This is my minimum expenses each month. So anything less than €30,000 per year I'd consider unliveable. Sure you could surivive, but if im just looking to survive, i'd use the dole + rent allowance and skip the work part.

My expenses are not flash, but i dont do without anything. 60k is a great wage. Its more than what most families with 2 incomes will bring in.

I get 43k per year now. Took me 6 years to get to this in my industry. Its still going up, so im sorted financially for the moment. I HOPE to one day earn 60k-70k per year, and i'd consider myself a victor financially.

to think 60k is not enough...your friend must want to be able to buy a new car every year..and burn the old one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Thats grand except, in reality, you wont. You will be subject to luck of the draw, like everybody else.

Depends entirely on your profession. My chosen profession isn't luck, it's down to work ethic and ability. The only luck that will favour me is my connections in getting started, this will effect my workload but not my wage. My wage will be entirely determined by my ability and work ethic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

RMD wrote: »
    Depends entirely on your profession. My chosen profession isn't luck, it's down to work ethic and ability. The only luck that will favour me is my connections in getting started, this will effect my workload but not my wage. My wage will be entirely determined by my ability and work ethic.

Will it take a catastrophe to knock some sense into you? Even brain surgeons can have freak accidents rendering their ability to work, and therefore their wage, in jeopardy. There are people who work, and work, and work, and work, and work, who are also masters of their craft, who have fallen foul of lay-offs, company closures, changes in the market, advances in technology, cheaper or more available labour, and all sorts of other random occurances that directly effect their wage, regardless of profession, work ethic, or skill level. Anyone who thinks they're "safe", especially because of their qualifications, are only deluding themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

C.D. wrote: »
    60K is what I would expect for an Engineer that does not move into management. As already discussed here, once you move into management 6 figures is not an unrealistic expectation.

I worked for a building and services engineering company in Monaghan and their payscale said that chartered/senior engineers of 8 years+ we're paid around 50k and management of not much more than 60k+. 100k was definitely not possible where I worked, unless the owner was secretly on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭C.D.

Gnobe wrote: »
    I worked for a building and services engineering company in Monaghan and their payscale said that chartered/senior engineers of 8 years+ we're paid around 50k and management of not much more than 60k+. 100k was definitely not possible where I worked, unless the owner was secretly on that.

They are not great salaries at all, espcially if it is a mid-big company and boom time salaries. I work in Med Dev / Pharma for a big MNC and principal engineers are 60-80k, management 100k, senior management 120k and 150k+ for the big boys. Add 50% on to that for our American counterparts.

Edit: I have seen salary scales for our competitors and salary surveys for the industry and this payscale is not uncommon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭Shane732

theTinker wrote: »
    per month

Mortgage 700
    bills 350
    food & groceries 350
    pets 40
    transport 200
    discretionary 400

= 2040 + 25%(taxes) = €2550

This is my minimum expenses each month. So anything less than €30,000 per year I'd consider unliveable. Sure you could surivive, but if im just looking to survive, i'd use the dole + rent allowance and skip the work part.

My expenses are not flash, but i dont do without anything. 60k is a great wage. Its more than what most families with 2 incomes will bring in.

I get 43k per year now. Took me 6 years to get to this in my industry. Its still going up, so im sorted financially for the moment. I HOPE to one day earn 60k-70k per year, and i'd consider myself a victor financially.

to think 60k is not enough...your friend must want to be able to buy a new car every year..and burn the old one.

Where is the 25% taxes coming from? I assume this it's some sort of average rate you are using.

Expenses are different for everyone so it very difficult to compare.

I spend about €110 per week on petrol out of my net income (i.e. not recouped through expenses).

Also are you saving anything or do you have a pension or anything? Is your mortgage capital and interest?

My own personal opinion is that I would not be willing to entered into a mortgage unless I was earning anything under €75,000k per annum.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭flash1080

Shane732 wrote: »
    Where is the 25% taxes coming from? I assume this it's some sort of average rate you are using.

Expenses are different for everyone so it very difficult to compare.

I spend about €110 per week on petrol out of my net income (i.e. not recouped through expenses).

Also are you saving anything or do you have a pension or anything? Is your mortgage capital and interest?

My own personal opinion is that I would not be willing to entered into a mortgage unless I was earning anything under €75,000k per annum.
    Never heard anyone say they wouldn't enter into a mortgage if they were earning less than that sort of money, including many people who are on significantly more than that. What's the reasoning?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭Shane732

flash1080 wrote: »
    Never heard anyone say they wouldn't enter into a mortgage if they were earning less than that sort of money, including many people who are on significantly more than that. What's the reasoning?

It's my own personal opinion.

A salary of €75,000 gives you roughly a net monthly salary of €4,000.

The way I see it living expenses for anyone vary between €1,500 and €2,000 a month. Then on top of that €2,000 for a mortgage repaying it over as a short as the €2,000 per month would allow.

It's a personal opinion but my reasoning is that I'd want €2k over living expenses for a mortgage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

It might not be a huge wage depending on your field of work but by any yardstick, it's a respectable enough salary. It's nearly twice the average industrial wage after all. I guess it depends on your outgoings and expectations. It's certainly enough to service a - reasonable - mortgage, make some savings and raise a family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

its what anyone who deals with the public should be on :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭con1982

1ZRed wrote: »
    You seem to be unfamiliar with the whole engineering hierarchy;

Civil engineers are the boring ones,
    The electronic engineers are the geeks,
    The mechanical engineers are the real men,
    The biomeds are the arrogant ones stuck between engineering and medicine,
    The sports and fitness 'engineeers' are the jocks,
    And the construction management engineers are the glorified builders.

So by that logic, mechanical and biomed must pay highest!:pac:

And the sport and fitness engineers are just dtf:p

Less civil engineer bashing please. They have feelings too.

Mechanical engineers, real men. LOL

Structures 4eva !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

Dudess wrote: »
    Ideal age to be doing a phd IMO - still young but old enough to have the maturity for it. However it's a massive commitment and it's tough. Awful brokeness too as you say.

Try getting a 4 year Degree with a mortgage, OH and 2 kids... then you will know brokeness :D But I'm happy to do it as I will be leaving call centers for good and "I do science me" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 markgb

Well there ya go. You havent a clue who gets paid what, your figures are all wrong. I know all about what Intel starts people on, I spent my twenties there.

You can PM me for my WWID if it helps. But rest assured I know exactly what I am talking about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

let alone in IB, (who pay low to mid 20's for new grads FYI) you will need to re-align your expectations. IB tends to recruit top tier talent.

They pay a lot more than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭C.D.

They pay a lot more than that.

Doesn't quite read properly, meant grads working as trainee accountants in the Big 4, not IB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

Doesn't quite read properly, meant grads working as trainee accountants in the Big 4, not IB.

My mistake.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Yourself and the OP's friend need a good kick in he arse. I am a fully qualified electronic enginer. I started working for Intel (probably the most famous engineering company in the world) in 2003, I was earning 290 Euro per week. Yes, you read that correctly. By 2011 I was earning E500 per week. This was for 24 hour call-out availability, day and night, weekends, and even Christmas day. Thats what all the engineers in my area were on. I was made redundant last year along with 300 others. Only 3 people of my crew of 21 were kept. I didnt get a fraction of E60K for my redundancy after 8 years of loyal service. OP, your friend will get a nasty shock when he graduates if he thinks E60K per year is not a good wage.

That doesn't bear any resemblence to the conditions of the many Intel employed fully qualified engineers I've know over the last 15 years or so.

They are/were the conditions of a relatively low level technician position in Intel. Which matches up with the vast majority of the people who were unfortunate enough to be made redundant last year, many with little or no qualifications at all.

Back to the OP and of course 60k is a good salary, but many civil engineers will earn more than that as they advance in their career.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Mickey Dazzler

60k is a good wedge. There is such a big difference between non-prpfessionals and professionals. I work in a business where it took me 10 years of training and degrees etc to get where I am. Yet amateurs do what I do all the time and often think that could do the job as good if not better...... but at the end of the day it is about responsibility. If I fuck up people die. If a call centre workers fails to make a sale everyone goes home alive.

I honestly earn over 200k a year and looking back at the quality of my previous posts there is no justice in this world!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭fat__tony

Shane732 wrote: »
    If €60k was the maximum that I could earn per year I wouldn't be happy with it.

The comment you made about engineers isn't correct. A couple of years ago engineers were making money for fun. Even still there is still plenty of money in engineering.

Not in Ireland.

Salaries have generally been driven into the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

60k is a good wedge. There is such a big difference between non-prpfessionals and professionals. I work in a business where it took me 10 years of training and degrees etc to get where I am. Yet amateurs do what I do all the time and often think that could do the job as good if not better...... but at the end of the day it is about responsibility. If I fuck up people die. If a call centre workers fails to make a sale everyone goes home alive.

I honestly earn over 200k a year and looking back at the quality of my previous posts there is no justice in this world!!!
    What do you do as I smell bs

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

What do you do Mickety'dazzler thats so interesting, like a brainteaser.

What profession requires alor of training and degrees that amateurs do all the time and think they could do the job just as well, but if you ****ed up some-one could die, and lets you earn over 200k a year.

'Not a doctor...
    Not a pilot...
    Air traffic Control?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

copacetic wrote: »
    That doesn't bear any resemblence to the conditions of the many Intel employed fully qualified engineers I've know over the last 15 years or so.

They are/were the conditions of a relatively low level technician position in Intel. Which matches up with the vast majority of the people who were unfortunate enough to be made redundant last year, many with little or no qualifications at all.

Good for you. Whats your point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Claasman

con1982 wrote: »
    Less civil engineer bashing please. They have feelings too.

Mechanical engineers, real men. LOL

Structures 4eva !

mechs build weapons

civils/structures build targets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭irelandrover

copacetic wrote: »

Back to the OP and of course 60k is a good salary, but many civil engineers will earn more than that as they advance in their career.

I did 8 months work experience in Intel in 2005 and got 330 euro a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 markgb

Good for you. Whats your point?

Your posts don't add up. A fully qualified engineer is someone who has BE or equivalent after their name. They don't work for minimum wage for Intel or anyone else. The role you are describing is manufacturing technician which does not require a degree in anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

60k a year so thats a 2.5k a week,it might be low wage for top grade engineer,but for the rest of the world its like 2-3 years wages all together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭irelandrover

scamalert wrote: »
    60k a year so thats a 2.5k a week,it might be low wage for top grade engineer,but for the rest of the world its like 2-3 years wages all together.

I think you messed up the maths a bit on this one. 2.5k a week is about 130 a year.
    In answer to the OP 60k is a good wage but at the top of a profession it is not that much.

you try running three houses and a place in France on 60k a year!

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭eoins23456

1154 a week ! depends on your expectations at the start of your career I suppose. If you had high aspirations of earning well over 100k a year when you were young then 60 thousand is nothing.It would be a hell of alot to some people

at the mo I live comfortably on less than half of that, I'd be happy out on 60k, but I dont have a mortgage or kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 carvaggio

Yourself and the OP's friend need a good kick in he arse. I am a fully qualified electronic enginer. I started working for Intel (probably the most famous engineering company in the world) in 2003, I was earning 290 Euro per week. Yes, you read that correctly. By 2011 I was earning E500 per week. This was for 24 hour call-out availability, day and night, weekends, and even Christmas day. Thats what all the engineers in my area were on. I was made redundant last year along with 300 others. Only 3 people of my crew of 21 were kept. I didnt get a fraction of E60K for my redundancy after 8 years of loyal service. OP, your friend will get a nasty shock when he graduates if he thinks E60K per year is not a good wage.

You are either not a qualified electronic engineer or have made a severe error in your numbers.

Typical graduate electronic engineer wages are in the 25k-30k bracket. Some rising as high as 40k and some being at the 20k mark.

There is actually quite a high demand for electronic engineers, so wages are more than reasonable.

Advertisement