Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog repellent / heron deterant

Options
  • 02-06-2012 8:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭

Are those "get off " repellent effective ? Do they work for dogs?
    I had a heron eat my fish and was given an electric cattle fence to scare him off.
    Just dont want the dogs going near it. Does anyone know if the repellent is poisonous to fish and wildlife?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Are those "get off " repellent effective ? Do they work for dogs?
    I had a heron eat my fish and was given an electric cattle fence to scare him off.
    Just dont want the dogs going near it. Does anyone know if the repellent is poisonous to fish and wildlife?

Don't worry about the dogs and the electric fence... The dogs won't touch it and if they do it won't harm them and they learn real quick to avoid it... I'm interested how you will stop a bird with it??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

The waters to deep for the heron to stand in so he has to stand at the side of the pond to catch the fish. If the fence is there he'll get a fright and dine somewhere else( hopefully)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

The waters to deep for the heron to stand in so he has to stand at the side of the pond to catch the fish. If the fence is there he'll get a fright and dine somewhere else( hopefully)

A few lengths of plant climber/training wire laid about 1 foot up over the pond,and the Heron will not be able to get in.Use a few lengths of pressure treated 2 x1 inch and tie on the climber/training wire.

Very simple and effective method,that my girlfriend uses for the Koi Carp Pond in her garden.:)

I have the electric fence already ... I want to frighten him off so that he wont come back

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

I have the electric fence already ... I want to frighten him off so that he wont come back

The heron wont come back,if you use the easier and more humane method of the training wire.

It cant get past the wire,so the heron will go elsewhere for its daily meal.

Also electric fence and a pond/water...eh no thanks.

• Advertisement

Its not high voltage . Battery powered .with the wire wont i have to keep it up? I only have to leave the fence up for about 2 weeks until he gets the message.
    After all the fish its eaten im not concerned about being humane . They introduce paracites to ponds as well as causing hundreds in damage .its not going to cause it harm anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭muckyhands

The heron wont 'remember' not to go there the way you hope it will by using the electric fence. Even if it was possible that it would 'get the message', sure its not the only heron around that will spot your pond.

Wire across the pond may work for you, now and always in future. I have a pic somewhere of a heron sitting on top of my shed wishfully looking at the fish in my pond, but it coudnt get near them because their wingspan is too big, they cant fly in. :)

I've had the fish for three years and I was gone for the weekend and had left the dogs inside . This was the only time the pumps were off. He stood on the waterfall and must have been big as he pulled the whole lot in. If its know that the string method will work and is less humane i may as will give it a go. Raging as the fish were tiny when I bought them and were getting bigger

Advertisement