Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Amazed at the number of Irish people heading off to Perth

• 02-06-2012 8:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭

im amazed at the number of Irish people heading off to Perth WA , each week i hear of someone else heading off, leaving Ireland.

crazy times.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Dont know why, its not much better in Scotland than here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Oh no we both did the same joke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Oceans12 wrote: »
    im amazed at the number of Irish people heading off to Perth , each week i hear of someone else heading off, leaving Ireland.

Perth.......... my favorite type of nipples.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭senorwipesalot

Fcuk em.....I mean good luck to them
    The"re the ones that can afford to get out of this hole,the rest of us are too tied down with debt.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

im amazed at the number of Irish people heading off to Perth , each week i hear of someone else heading off, leaving Ireland.

crazy times.

Your pretty easily amazed aren't you? Would you enjoy seeing some of my card tricks or juggling skills?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

crazy times.

Perhaps he'll finally make his mind up and actually go instead of dithering.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

Ah yes, the crops our parents call children, all being raised for export!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 265 ✭✭unclejunior

I'm amazed at the amount of eastern europeans still living and working here while at the same time Irish people are emigrating. Very bizarre indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

I'm amazed at the amount of eastern europeans still living and working here while at the same time Irish people are emigrating. Very bizarre indeed.

Well now, in fairness, there is a big chance that they had the jobs the Irish were too proud to do during the boom, and they're still doing em. Ya can't sack someone based on where they're from just because you want to fill the position with someone Irish!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Oceans12

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Oceans12

tdv123 wrote: »
    Your pretty easily amazed aren't you? ?

not really. you probably voted YES? :rolleyes:

tdv123 wrote: »
    Would you enjoy seeing some of my card tricks or juggling skills?

wait until the budget in December, you might need them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

More dole for me, nyak, nyak!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 265 ✭✭unclejunior

RachaelVO wrote: »
    Well now, in fairness, there is a big chance that they had the jobs the Irish were too proud to do during the boom, and they're still doing em. Ya can't sack someone based on where they're from just because you want to fill the position with someone Irish!

Possibly but it still doesnt take away the fact that it is so bizarre

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

not really. you probably voted YES? :rolleyes:

wait until the budget in December, you might need them.

I didn't not not vote yes.

I'll need them for my trip to Perth in July. Gets a bit boring on that boat journey over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

That's EU for you...

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭RoverZT

Management at my work place had to send HR staff to Slovakia, Poland etc to recruit workers in 2005.

Business was expanding quickly and the Irish lads just wouldn't work there, it's physical heavy warehouse work and pay at the time of 13 euro per hour + shift allowance was sniggered at by the young Irish men.

They couldn't get any Irish lads to fill the roles and the one's that did fill the roles didn't give a **** about there jobs, not turning up half the time, messing etc so they had to get HR staff to meet agencies in east Europe to get foreign lads over here.

Management have never forgotten those days and continue to hire Polish, Slovak, Czech guys etc and some Irish with experience.

I agree fully with there policy.

Best candidate gets the job, nationality shouldn't come into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

RoverZT wrote: »
    Management at my work place had to send HR staff to Slovakia, Poland etc to recruit workers in 2005.

Business was expanding quickly and the Irish lads just wouldn't work there, it's physical heavy warehouse work and pay at the time of 13 euro per hour + shift allowance was sniggered at by the young Irish men.

They couldn't get any Irish lads to fill the roles and the one's that did fill the roles didn't give a **** about there jobs, not turning up half the time, messing etc so they had to get HR staff to meet agencies in east Europe to get foreign lads over here.

Management have never forgotten those days and continue to hire Polish, Slovak, Czech guys etc and some Irish with experience.

So seeing as the doors to Eastern Europe were only opened a year earlier, and presumably there were warehouses operational in Ireland before 2004, are you sure it wasn't just a cynical opportunistic easily-disposed-of-employees grab by management to bump up company profits? Jumping on the cheap workforce bandwagon as it were.

I love these posts about Irish people being too good for menial work, you'd swear there was never a burger served nor a toilet mopped before 2004.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭bhovaspack

RoverZT wrote: »

"Management have never forgotten those days" - it sounds vaguely as if you're saying that the management actively discriminates against the current generation of Irish applicants based on a crop of lousy Irish workers from 8 years ago. In which case, nationality clearly does come into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Varied

Votes Yes in referendums

Complains about lack of jobs and people emigrating

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭RoverZT

bhovaspack wrote: »
    "Management have never forgotten those days" - it sounds vaguely as if you're saying that the management actively discriminates against the current generation of Irish applicants based on a crop of lousy Irish workers from 8 years ago. In which case, nationality clearly does come into it.

I wouldn't say that.

They don't show favouritism if that's what you mean, they don't have a jobs for Irish policy like alot of companies.

Which is very discriminating.

It's best candidate for the job, be it Irish or foreign.

New employees are about 60% Irish, rest foreign.

Alot of the Irish lads are not happy with it, they wanted a job for there friends, family etc and a foreign lad go it instead.

Foreign lad had experience, cousin had none, they never bring that up:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

It never stops being funny how you'll always have at least one person come in and give out about non-nationals taking our jobs...in a conversation about Irish people emigrating to take other people's jobs in different countries...

Welcome to...sorry, I forgot about the hearing aid, I'll speak up...

WELCOME TO 2012, UNCLEJUNIOR! IT'S QUITE DIFFERENT TO YOUR DAY: WE'RE AS BROKE AS BACK THEN, BUT THE PRIESTS DON'T GET AWAY WITH MOLESTING ANYMORE, THE 'COLOUREDS', AS YOU CALL THEM, HAVE EQUAL RIGHTS AND IT'S LEGAL TO BE GAY NOW. YOU'LL HATE IT.

Advertisement