Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SSD for Netbook

Options
  • 02-06-2012 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭

Looking to get a SSD to rejuvenate an old Netbook.

The Netbook itself is used for netbooky things, internet and email mostly. Some Google Earth thrown in for good measure.

It's a Medion E1210 and I was looking at this one. I know it's no M4 or 830 or anything but it will still be a huge boost from the 4200RPM HDD in there now.

I have been unable to find if the SATA ports on the motherboard are SATA II or III and this SSD seems like a good choice for the job.

Anyone have any comments?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Oh, I could get a much better SSD. :D
    But for the amount of use it gets, and the tasks it will be performing, it's not worth spending a whole lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

That drive isn't even listed on their website! :/

It's probably SATA 2. Only laptops in the past year would be likely to have SATA 6Gbps and they usually don't splash out with netbooks.

It's the best value per gigabyte with the same price as the OCZ petrol. You'll certainly get better speeds than what you have but who knows exactly when there's no specifications apart from a few rumours on forums.

You could always be the guinea pig and test it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Not sure if same drive
    But its the reason I picked it over the Petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

That's not bad. A little slower than last generation though. With the price of the 830 just a little more, I think I'd get that anyway. It's only like a fiver extra (+ Irish VAT?). A year or two down the road, you might like to move it to a different computer to get the full benefits.

• Advertisement
Advertisement