Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting Fields Into Shape

Options
  • 02-06-2012 9:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭

We'll be adopting two Connemara mares in July, and our fields need to be cleaned up a bit. A good bit of them is overgrown with fern (bracken) and thorns. Our land is quite rocky and uneven (we're on the coast in Connemara), so it's not possible to simply run a tractor through it with a mower attachment or anything like that.

What's the best course of action just to clear most of the unwanted vegetation out in preparation for the ponies? It doesn't need to be perfect...just need to clean-up the worst parts. We'll need to hire someone with the right equipment to help us with this, obviously.

Thanks in advance for any sound advice.

~ ryan

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭KingOfBreifne

I suppose the main thing I'm concerned about is the bracken. I've heard how detrimental it can be to the health of equine if they decide to eat it. Is this something we need to be concerned with, or am I over-thinking it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

I suppose the main thing I'm concerned about is the bracken. I've heard how detrimental it can be to the health of equine if they decide to eat it. Is this something we need to be concerned with, or am I over-thinking it?

AFAIK the horse would need to consume a rather large amount over a prolonged period (several weeks) for it to be poisonous. Horses will tend to avoid eating it anyway if there is plenty of other grazing materials so it's important to ensure there are plenty of other non-toxic grasses/plants etc available in addition to their regular feed and hay.

Personally I would try remove all of the bracken but if this isn't possible then clear away all the larger ferns from the root and as many of the smaller ones are you can manage. Then just try maintain it as much as possible while the horses are grazing there. As I said, they shouldn't eat it by choice so keep an eye on the other grazing materials levels so they have no reason to resort to eating the bracken.

Advertisement