Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using old sky dish and box

Options
  • 02-06-2012 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Hi all,

Sorry if this has been asked before, looked through 7-8 pages and didn't find a definte answer. I recently moved into a house with a sky dish mounted on the back, and coax cables into nearly every room in the house. I then found an old sky box with a viewing card in it in the shed.

I was wondering could I get some free to air channels on it even with it being out of subscription and I hooked everything up to the tv in the living room.

Unfortunately all I'm getting is "No Satellite Signal being recieved" when I select All Channels on the TV Guide. Could it be that the dish has been de-activated in some way or should I still be able to recieve something?

Thanks for any help

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

So you're sure the cable you've connected to the box is actually coming from the dish? Does it have an f-connector (screw type)?

Pics here of f-connectors & 'normal' coax. plug.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

It seemes unlikely that the coax cables in every room are coming from the dish, possibly are distribution cables from some main point perhaps in attic. Trace from the dish how many cables are coming in to house and where they are going. If just a single cable then
    You need to find the cable coming direct from dish lnb with f-connector as Peter described.

Card in Sky box will probably be deactivated so just remove it. Dish could be out of allignment but if in a sheltered position might be ok. Could even be pointing at wrong satellite.

When working you have over 50 regular English channels and dozens of rubbish and foreign ones for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 shtory

Yeah the cables have the F-connector. Looks like I'll be taking a look around the attic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Liameter

Sky Digibox may have missed a firmware update, which could produce the "No signal.." result. What make/model is it and which Sky card is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 shtory

I got it working in the two bedrooms upstairs. From the dish, there are 4 cables running off of it. Two black ones which go downstairs and to the living room (I assume 2 wires for sky+) and two white cables going into both bedrooms. I can't get anything downstairs which leads me to think that it might be a HD signal and upstairs is an SD one which is why I can pick it up on the old digibox.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭zg3409

shtory wrote: »
    I got it working in the two bedrooms upstairs. From the dish, there are 4 cables running off of it. Two black ones which go downstairs and to the living room (I assume 2 wires for sky+) and two white cables going into both bedrooms. I can't get anything downstairs which leads me to think that it might be a HD signal and upstairs is an SD one which is why I can pick it up on the old digibox.

No such thing. The cable for HD is the same as SD. The cable for recording (+) is the same also but two needed for recording.

So if the two wires do go to the dish they SHOULD work

Advertisement