Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carlow for visitors/locals.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Memory Of 98

When it comes to advertising the history of Carlow I usually stay away from cliche things. For anyone interested, Carlow has a vast militaria history that has helped shape not only the development of Leinster, but all Ireland.

For example, you can travel to LeighlinnBridge, to see where the High Kings of Leinster once sat in the Dinn Rig. Although long gone, you can visualize what the citadel that once occupied the site must have looked like.

The name Leinster actually comes from Carlow, Loingseach burned the Dinn Rig to the ground, over the years Loingseach was bastardized into Leinster.

You can view Carlow Castle, one of the first and finest examples of early Anglo-Norman four keep styled architecture. While there, try to imagine that not only was the castle once completely walled, but the whole town as well at one stage!

You can go to the Croppy Graveyard in GraigueCullen and see where the men of 1798 are buried, and if you had been there last week you could have seen me give a very impassioned and gory speech to enthusiasts and dazed passersby alike. Carlow was very important during the 1798 Rebellion. Peter Ivers, from Carlow was held in incredibly high esteem nationwide, so much so that the password that every high ranking United Irishman had to use to gain entry to Oliver Bond`s house was "Is Ivers from Carlow come?"

You can take a tour of the old Graves on the Barrow track, which links back into the 1798 topic heavily.

You can also go to St Mullins, they have a great display of 1798 related monuments.

More to my interest, there are quite a lot of exquisite Georgian houses hidden out of view around the town which are quite interesting to view.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Cool Story Bro

Hey everybody Its Brendogg and Bolsak! We're like if Biggie had babies with Tupac!
    059!
    That song is all ye need in c-low

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 45 NiThigim

Hey everybody Its Brendogg and Bolsak! We're like if Biggie had babies with Tupac!
    059!

NOT a cool story, bro.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

to be fair to him, they actually are kinda funny even if whichever one of them controls that account appears to be a bit of a twat

• Registered Users Posts: 9 warwick

You could spend the best part of a day exploring Carlows Castles. Carlow castle obviously but also Ballymoon, Ballyloughan and clonmore are all worth a look.
    Calow tourism needs to highlight them in my humble opinion. Potentially there is work for a CES scheme to tidy them up and part time work for tour guides.

• Advertisement

059!

I don't know what any of that means.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Old Leighlin Cathedral, holy well and rag tree are very often overlooked.
    http://www.carlowcountymuseum.com/carlow-county/old-leghlin-cathedral/index.html

I agree about the castles, especially Ballymoon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Altamont Gardens is lovely, and free.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭bogof

You can visit Carlow Cathedral . St. Patricks College, The Visual Arts centre and the new Museum all very close together.That should take up a few hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

warwick wrote: »
    You could spend the best part of a day exploring Carlows Castles. Carlow castle obviously but also Ballymoon, Ballyloughan and clonmore are all worth a look.
    Calow tourism needs to highlight them in my humble opinion. Potentially there is work for a CES scheme to tidy them up and part time work for tour guides.

Is Carlow Castle not off limits ?

I, much to my shame, dont know of the other castles , are they easy to get to/access ?

My kids would love to get near to a real castle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

I know it's for health ad safety reasons but it's a shame that the tunnels under ducketts grove castle have been blocke up, they were great fun when we were younger and would be a brilliant tourist attraction

Owryan wrote: »
    Is Carlow Castle not off limits ?

I, much to my shame, dont know of the other castles , are they easy to get to/access ?

My kids would love to get near to a real castle

You can walk around the castle, just don't go there before 8 in the morning. The aggressive hobo's that live there don't like being disturbed.

The Military Museum is also very fascinating, I believe it is being done up at the moment for a re-opening.

Advertisement