Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

computer build (€1,500)

Options
  • 02-06-2012 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭

Well i am building a gaming rig and want to know what to get.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Fill this out, so we know what exactly you need:

1. What is your budget? [€xxx]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Gaming/Video editing/3D Modelling/HTPC/Internet] (If gaming include which games)

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [Yes/No]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [Hard drive/DVD Drive/Case/PSU/etc.] (If possible state brand and model of the parts to ensure compatibility)

5. Do you need a monitor? [Yes/No]

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [19'/20'/22'/24'/etc.]

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [1920x1080/1440x900/etc.] [Yes/No]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Keyboard/Mouse/Wireless Card/Card Reader/Speakers/etc.]

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [Yes/No]

8. How can you pay? [Bank Transfer/Credit Card/Laser]

9. When are you purchasing? [In x days]

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [South Dublin City/Cork City/Kerry/etc.]

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭war2k10

1. What is your budget? [€1,500 to 2,000]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? - Gaming maybe some programming, Games are (S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and battlefield 3)

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [No]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [Hard drive/DVD Drive/Case/PSU/etc.] (If possible state brand and model of the parts to ensure compatibility) - NO

5. Do you need a monitor? [No]

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [19'/20'/22'/24'/etc.]

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [1920x1080] [No] it's a 75'' Panasonic ?

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Keyboard/Mouse/Wireless Card/Card Reader/Speakers/etc.] - Yes

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [Yes]

8. How can you pay? [Bank Transfer/Credit Card/Laser] What ever

9. When are you purchasing? [next 60]

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [Wexford but work up in dublin.]

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Peebro

Interesting build Eboggles! However I have to disagree with dual Gtx 670's. There really is no need, If anything he should purchase one GTX 680.
    which will max all current games, and should he need to upgrade in the future, just buy another one for cheap by then. I know you may complain they're practically the same but for the very best he might as well, Hell for that price he might as well buy a GTX 690!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

Peebro wrote: »
    Interesting build Eboggles! However I have to disagree with dual Gtx 670's. There really is no need, If anything he should purchase one GTX 680.
    which will max all current games, and should he need to upgrade in the future, just buy another one for cheap by then. I know you may complain they're practically the same but for the very best he might as well, Hell for that price he might as well buy a GTX 690!
    If he has the money, why not? Anyway, two GTX 670s offer 95% of the GTX 690's performance.

I wouldn't think too much about it though, the thread is two months old ;).

• Advertisement

Well how much is it ?

war2k10 wrote: »
    Well how much is it ?

How much is what?

Ohhh sorry the gtx 690 ?

Ohhh sorry the gtx 690 ?

Nearly €1000. It's two GTX 680s on one PCB.

Do you think it worth it ?

• Advertisement

Do you think it worth it ?

Nope.

Why ? Haha sorry for asking so many questions

Why ? Haha sorry for asking so many questions

As previously stated, you could just get two GTX 670s for much less and have basically the same performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

The 690 is an epeen card - they are very difficult to get and marked up accordingly.

a 670 or 7970 would do the job just as well (assuming you are not using more than 1 monitor) - if you want to waste money there are far better places to do it such as 3 monitors.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

yeah what he said.. I hav a 670 and it does the job perfectly
    runs metro2033 at max settings around 30fps average at 2560x1440p

and I've played some of the more graphically intensive stalker mods.. handles them more than fine even at that ridiculous resolution

some of you people just love spending other peoples money vicariously :)

yeah what he said.. I hav a 670 and it does the job perfectly
    runs metro2033 at max settings around 30fps average at 2560x1440p

and I've played some of the more graphically intensive stalker mods.. handles them more than fine even at that ridiculous resolution

some of you people just love spending other peoples money vicariously :)

It's cheaper than spending our own :D.

OT how is your GTX 670 handling 1440p? I would've thought 2GB vRAM could limit it... I'm using a 6850 so I guess anything would be a massive step up for me... :o.

Noo il just be running it on a 60'' tv thats about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

TVs have low resolution - 1080p so you'll be grand with a single 670 - there would be no point going over this.

A bigger SSD would be an idea for a gaming machine. I'd also go with 2 x 2TB HDDs - you can then backup data from one to the other - or set them up in RAID 1 (which I wouldn't) so the PC does it for you.

Eboggles wrote: »
    It's cheaper than spending our own :D.

OT how is your GTX 670 handling 1440p? I would've thought 2GB vRAM could limit it... I'm using a 6850 so I guess anything would be a massive step up for me... :o.

so far metro2033 is the only game i've tried that's given it a bit of trouble and as I said above, pretty stable 30fps average from that.

I've even ran the stalkersoup mod for stalker which is meant to be a killer on gfx ram and the half life 2 cinematic mod.. both ran great.. i was surpried by that, the hl2 cinematic mod is a beast

so far metro2033 is the only game i've tried that's given it a bit of trouble and as I said above, pretty stable 30fps average from that.

I've even ran the stalkersoup mod for stalker which is meant to be a killer on gfx ram and the half life 2 cinematic mod.. both ran great.. i was surpried by that, the hl2 cinematic mod is a beast

Actually playing HL2 with cinematic mod right now, it's pretty awesome!

• Advertisement

completely OT here so sorry OP but eboggles.. which alyx skin did you end up using?

I use all the new skins for every character except alyx..aside from the fact that the HD models for her are kinda weird lookin, every one of them has her in her underwear which is just ridiculous for the game that's in it.

completely OT here so sorry OP but eboggles.. which alyx skin did you end up using?

I use all the new skins for every character except alyx..aside from the fact that the HD models for her are kinda weird lookin, every one of them has her in her underwear which is just ridiculous for the game that's in it.

Yeah it can be a bit odd, I'm using the second one in the list. It's this one

Advertisement