Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Point and click adventure games

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

D wrote: »
    Wait the Dig had an
    Alternate ending?!
    tell me more!
    I played it and never realised.

Edit: Will also +1 Beneath a Steel Sky.
    Also the first point and click that I played was Simon the Sorcerer, great game, the sequel had the worst ending in video game history.

One thing I really liked about steel sky is that you could often try an use an item on random things to get a different reaction of Robert. They went to quite a bit of effort recording lines for all those things - actually better than what I've seen from most modern games too.

In the Dig,
    when the woman sacrifices herself (can't remember the details of why) she begs you not to revive her with the green stones. If you don't, she hugs you at the end and tells you how happy she was that you didn't bring her back. If you do revive her, she's very upset and she jumps off a cliff. Then in the final sequence, she slaps you and is pretty angry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Shocking that no one here's mentioned the Quest series from Sierra [King's, Space, Police] and the Quest for Glory series... or Legend of Kyrandia series [by Westwood, 3rd one was HORRID though - transition to "3D"].

Sierra Entertainment did a LOT of good point and click adventure games.

Another good one was Flight of the Amazon Queen.

Oh, and there's " Inherit the Earth: Quest for the Orb " if you don't mind anthropomorphic characters in it's entirety... :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

I would have said that Sierra had their golden age with their text parser based games rather than their point and click ones. Actually, I just looked back and in fact I already said pretty much exactly that :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Jasus this thread gives me an awful does of nostalgia. Speaking if Sierra i thought Gabriel Knight 3 was fantastic.

sentient_6 wrote: »
    Jasus this thread gives me an awful does of nostalgia. Speaking if Sierra i thought Gabriel Knight 3 was a fantastic.

I was enjoying it but it seemed pretty tough and the 3D was really weird. I seem to recall that it would change camera as you moved around the rooms but didn't make it clear where that would happen. So you'd have to move to a corner to find out that there was a different camera associated with the corner that allowed you see a game item (or whatever). I always meant to go back to it but never did.

I did back her Kickstarter though. Haven't played it yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Point and click? Too weird?

Now I HAVE to get it!

It's more a point and click story and I'm not entirely sure if its disguising crappness with weirdness. First episode had my attention but 2nd has just been boring me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Ben Croshaw (Yahtzee of Zero Punctuation fame) released a few point and clicks called "5 Days a Stranger" and "7 Days a Skeptic". Graphics are intentionally crap, as he wanted to show that you could make a good game purely through story.

There's a more recent one called Revenance I think. Kinda sci-fi where the player controls a few different characters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

Must give that a try. The two games I mentioned earlier have cheap graphics but good stories and genuinely funny dialogue:
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/37400/

lots of references to the classics too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Some great point and click adventure games that I will never forget:

Simon the Sorcerer 1+2
    Day of the Tentacle
    Sam and Max Hit the Road
    Full Throttle
    Monkey Island 1-4, although the last one was a little disappointing.
    Lure of the Temptress
    Cruise for a Corpse
    Discworld
    Beneath a Steel Sky
    Gabriel Knight 2+3. Loved the story to 3
    Tex Murphy Pandora Directive, Overseer and Under a Killing Moon. Have Tesla Effect ready to go!
    Maniac Mansion. Was really young when I played this and the old doctor/nurse woman in it scared the crap out of me!
    Broken Sword 1-3, 5. Never played 4, might look into it
    Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, and Fate of Atlantis
    Grim Fandango
    Heart of China

Never played The Dig and I probably should. In my opinion, anything built on the SCUMM Engine must be played. It's almost like the perfect sign for a good point 'n' click adventure.

Can anybody recommend me a good adventure that I have yet to play? I should note that I have played more recent adventures like Machinarium and the Telltale series of games.

• Advertisement

Falthyron wrote: »
    Gabriel Knight 2+3. Loved the story to 3

Did you actively dislike 1 or did you just not play it?
    Can anybody recommend me a good adventure that I have yet to play? I should note that I have played more recent adventures like Machinarium and the Telltale series of games.

Gemini Rue is good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Falthyron wrote: »
    Can anybody recommend me a good adventure that I have yet to play?
    Based on your list, have you tried Syberia (I and II), and The Longest Journey (and its sequel, Dreamfall)?

I don't play as many adventures as I used to :( I think I've lost patience with the slow pace. I've had Sam and Max 3 and Wallace and Gromit on the back burner since they were part of a Humble Bundle and they just bore me. They're no Walking Dead!

Recently, I've enjoyed some Wadjet Eye games, namely Gemini Rue and Resonance. Primordia's on the backlog.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Loved point and click games growing up...started off with some text based ones, moved onto input based police quests games then finally onto the monkey islands, beneath a steel skys of this world. However one that stuck with me which i loved at the time was KGB. Havent played in in twenty years but remember loving it at the time, quite difficult in places and if you made a wrong move it could be game over very quickly! It had an internal clock as well so sometimes you'd to be at certain places at certain times... I'd recommned checking it out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I almost forgot about Dark Seed. Great game! The artwork that went into it was fantastic too, all produced by HR Giger!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

I remember I loved Space Quest 4 when I was younger. Not sure if it's aged well, but remember enjoying the humour, then again I was like 8 or 9.

Zab wrote: »
    Did you actively dislike 1 or did you just not play it?

Gemini Rue is good

I never played it. However, I backed Jane Jensen's Kickstarter that entitles me to two of her games. I received Moebius a few months ago, and apparently those who backed the project will also be receiving Gabriel Knight Sins of our Fathers the remake/HD version, so I will definitely playing that as soon as I get access. :D

Gemini Rue? Don't think I have heard of it. *starts googling*

Also @ RobertFoster: Syberia I + II. I have heard of these, but unsure of their quality. Are they decent enough? And The Longest Journey and Dreamfall? *starts further googling* :D

I love point 'n' click adventure games. I guess it is because I am a big reader and I love great dialogue, characters, setting, and story most of all. I am only 28 (strongly emphasising the 'only' so I can be young), but kids growing up today really have missed out on those classic adventures. Sure, they can probably still access most of them, but is Simon the Sorcerer going to look as interesting and as exciting as COD? Shame, really. I plan on sitting down and playing all these adventure games some day when I have kids, just like how my father did for my brother and I. :) At least we won't get read errors on floppy disks...! :D

• Advertisement

Oh wow! Just looked up Gemini Rue on Steam. It looks perfect! Exactly the type of Adventure game I would play! Going on the Wishlist now! :D Thanks again!

Advertisement