Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Formerly Beautiful

• 02-06-2012 11:22pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭

As the title suggests, are you formerly beautiful? If so, how has losing your looks affected you and changed your life. Do people treat you differently? Perhaps Father time took your looks, perhaps you were disfigured in an industrial accident. Did you accept the loss of looks or try to fight it?

( hoping this will make the ugs in the ugly thread feel better)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,908 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

I never had any looks to lose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

smokes have left me with a gob like a burnt fence but im correcting at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

To be honest, I'm getting better looking as time goes on, but then again I'm more aware of where the fat is on my body and I work to get rid of it. I have pretty decent genes, so I shouldn't look "old" until I am near 70 and I am very self-conscious while being extremely vain so I don't let myself get ugly. So yeah, I'm still improving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,676 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Kind of. I was beautiful until the age of abotu 11. Since then I've been ugly. How has it effected me? Hey, I knw what I am and to hell with it.

Women seem to like the honesty. Men are more judgemental. Kids and small animals, not bothered one way or the other

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Chips Ahoy

To be honest, I'm getting better looking as time goes on, but then again I'm more aware of where the fat is on my body and I work to get rid of it.I have pretty decent genes, so I shouldn't look "old" until I am near 70 and I am very self-conscious while being extremely vain so I don't let myself get ugly. So yeah, I'm still improving.

Levis or Wrangler

• Advertisement

Nah, I'm a ride

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I was no beauty, but I was beautiful that day...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Ex-attraction.

"Men only get better lookin" so here's to the good life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I went from very good looking to average. Im just another face in the crowd now a days. It takes a lot to get used to and i have a **** personality so i have nothing to fall back on. Now all i have are my notches in the bed post that have gotten better looking with age. Back in the day i was the good looking one in the relationship. Now some of them are out of my league :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

I am the artist formerly known as Beautiful.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

LH Pathe wrote: »
    Ex-attraction.

Tell that to The boyfriend of Sabrina the teenage witch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

My body goes to **** every time I get pregnant, and it takes over a year to get it back again.
    It's really hard and frustrating.
    Other than that, I look the same as I did 10+ years ago.
    Age hasn't gotten me yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

My body goes to **** every time I get pregnant, and it takes over a year to get it back again.

Stop getting preggers so.

Nah, I'm a ride

You are and all! :)
    Glad you know it - most attractive women can't admit they are attractive.
    Maybe that's just an Irish thing. I don't know.

Keno 92 wrote: »
    Stop getting preggers so.

So logical.
    So simple.
    I think you're onto something.

You are and all! :)
    Glad you know it - most attractive women can't admit they are attractive.
    Maybe that's just an Irish thing. I don't know.

My love for myself increases with alcohol.
    I'm really quite unridish :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Nah, I'm a ride
    My love for myself increases with alcohol.
    I'm really quite unridish :(

I agree with the first thing you said...*fap fap fap*

Beside, as I've said before and I'll say it again, you have the happiest name on boards.
    Chips Ahoy wrote: »
    Levis or Wrangler

Um Jeans != Genes....but you do have a great username if it comes from where I think it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I've looked the same since I was about 12; ie like a 12-year old.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Wereghost

Suas11 wrote: »
    I never had any looks to lose
    Ditto. Am probably edging towards the norm as I age, or rather the norm is getting closer to my level. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

What's with all the ugly/pretty threads this evening? It's like EdenHazard on drugs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

Ex-attraction.

In my experience its a myth perpetrated by middle aged men hoping to pull a younger woman, and accepted by younger men who desperately hope its true.

For every one George Clooney there's 50 Rowan Atkinsons.

Sorry. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

I've aged well and most think I'm way younger than I am, despite smoking 40 a day and drinking like a fish - down to the genes I think, auld lad died old with a full head of hair and looked like Elvis(shared a birthday too) in his prime. I've a sister who came 2nd in Miss Universe so the blood is good(not good enough to come 1st though:D)- other sister is 40 and still has men drooling wherever she goes to the point of it being funny(whenever we need to go to hospital we drag her along as the Doctors all fall over her and we get great service). Looks are handy and tend to be all people judge you on short term. Losing them, well thats why God invented Gyms and beauticians..

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Vicar in a tutu

I'm like a fine wine :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I used to be beautiful till I got really fat.

I'll start fighting it tomorrow, gotta finish this pizza first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

Ex-attraction.

Yep, that's why most women prefer old men in their 70s over Zac Efron and Taylor Lautner- OH WAIT,

NO THEY DON'T! HAHAHA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭tan11ie

Ex-attraction.

Not in Ireland .....:p:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭tan11ie

Yep, that's why most women prefer old men in their 70s over Zac Efron and Taylor Lautner- OH WAIT NO THEY DON'T HAHAHA

Mmmmm Zac Efron :D

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

tan11ie wrote: »
    Mmmmm Zac Efron :D

Yup. He's quite the little slice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

You were beautiful, no matter what they said

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Giselle wrote: »
    In my experience its a myth perpetrated by middle aged men hoping to pull a younger woman, and accepted by younger men who desperately hope its true.

For every one George Clooney there's 50 Rowan Atkinsons.

Sorry. :)
    Mr Bean is HUGE in South East Asia, still daily viewing for many people. If there's anyone that has actually done the Japanese triplets thing, its him.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

True Rowan Atkinson is an odd one. Hardly conventionally good looking when he was young, but pulled some serious beauties even before he was as well known and rich as he is.

I'd agree that the notion that men age better is kinda odd. Like bald men name checking Sean Connery, Patrick Stewart, or Bruce Willis. Yea right lads. Those blokes with or without hair, from 9 to 90 or 9 hours dead would have women(and gay chappies) crawling over broken glass to get to them. Not quite the same as Liam from accounts, with no hair, a beer gut and baggy eyes at 30. :D

I would agree that men have the advantage that age can improve them and that signs of age are less of an issue for them. That's harder for women. There are very few gorgeous women at 25 that look better at 45, whereas G Clooney was a very good looking man at 25 he would be considered better looking in his 50's.

Still as Giselle said for every one George...

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Middle age has ravaged my looks somewhat. I'm usually considered to be merely handsome these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Wibbs wrote: »
    There are very few gorgeous women at 25 that look better at 45, whereas G Clooney was a very good looking man at 25 he would be considered better looking in his 50's.
    I think regardless of gender if someone has really looked after themselves they are attractive at almost any age. I'd be more attracted to a 40 or 50 year old woman with great muscle tone (indicating discipline, self respect and willpower at a minimum) than to a teenage hottie whose greatest physical achievement was being born. Hell this is a 77 year old I'd have no difficulty with.

You can't do a whole lot with your face over time, but there's no reason for the rest of your body to become unattractive. It just gets more difficult to maintain the standard over time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

I used to be really cute it's all gone downhill since I was about four.

• Advertisement

I used to be really cute it's all gone downhill since I was about four.

Yeh I've put on so much weight since I was born :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

A beautiful person inevitably losing their looks means they'll just one day know what it's always been like for the non-beautiful people. :) So, it'll be an adjustment for them but it certainly won't be the end of the world. :) And if said beautiful person has a full life, and doesn't put too much value on their looks (difficult to do, I'm sure, when your looks have celebrated all your life) then that will make it easier again.

Tell that to The boyfriend of Sabrina the teenage witch.

In fairness, pretty boys never get better with age. It's always the men who weren't that great when they were younger who improve with time.

Wibbs wrote: »
    True Rowan Atkinson is an odd one. Hardly conventionally good looking when he was young, but pulled some serious beauties even before he was as well known and rich as he is.

Ooh really, who? Celeb goss is my guilty pleasure.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Wereghost

Sea Filly wrote: »
    In fairness, pretty boys never get better with age. It's always the men who weren't that great when they were younger who improve with time.
    This is good to hear. ;)

• Advertisement

Scrawny71 wrote: »
    This is good to hear. ;)

Case in point: Leonardo Di Caprio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭CL7

In fairness, pretty boys never get better with age. I

What?

Richard Gere, Robert Downey Jr, Tom Cruise. I'm sure there's thousands more but I don't feel like looking at pictures of good looking men all day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

I used always get served immediately at the bar if there was a female barmaid but now I have to wait like everybody else:(

CL7 wrote: »
    What?

Richard Gere, Robert Downey Jr, Tom Cruise.

I wouldn't class them as pretty boys. They were handsome when they were younger. Pretty boy is a class all of its own. :)
    CL7 wrote: »
    I'm sure there's thousands more but I don't feel like looking at pictures of good looking men all day.

Suuuuurrrrre you don't. ;) :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Nah I don't agree being really good-looking when you're very young means you'll deteriorate more noticeably as you age - could mean you'll just get more ravishing. But yes, the former can happen - and it must suck.

I'd definitely prefer Leo Di Caprio now though to when he was in Titanic! He actually looks like a man rather than a young boy as he did then, despite being in his 20s.

Dudess wrote: »
    I'd definitely prefer Leo Di Caprio now though to when he was in Titanic! He actually looks like a man rather than a young boy as he did then, despite being in his 20s.

He looks really bloated, IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

I kinda think I fall into this bracket too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Table Top Joe

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    Hell this is a 77 year old I'd have no difficulty with.

Holy shi*t!......thats some going(but then as the fella says "black dont crack",look at Obama or Will Smith to just name two off the top of my head,the black folk age remarkably well in fairness.......presuming they were good looking to begin with of course)

I agree with the rest of your post,looking after yourself is essential from about your late 20s on i think,your body cant do it as effortlessly anymore
    I was only discussing this with a mate recently,how hard it must be to go from being a beautiful or good looking woman to just....average after the years pile up,not nearly as bad for men i reckon,men can get away with a lot more(dont blame me!)smoking is big part of people losing their looks,i always shake my head when i see a hottie smoking,shes gonna regret that down the line,Irish diet is a disaster too of course

"The problem with beauty is that it's like being born rich and getting poorer" Joan Collins

On the plus side for myself i finally grew out of my baby face over the last couple of years(yeaah!).......but my hair is now slowly(but surely:()receding......ffs,cant win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

^Obama looks really old since he became the president...

Also was it Marilyn Monroe who said no matter how hard you try gravity will eventually pull you down...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Pantsface

Case in point: Leonardo Di Caprio.

Oi! Leo is still a massive big ride

• Advertisement
Advertisement