Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good psychologist/counsellor Limerick.

• 02-06-2012 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hello all. Just joined so apologies if I have posted this in the wrong section, it seems fitting enough. To be fair there are a lot of different sub-forums, I kinda got lost :)

Anyway does anyone know of a good psychologist or councellor near/in Limerick City? I have searched online but I'd like to go see someone who has a good reputation and to be honest I'm a little afraid to ask anyone I know. I have some demons I need to face and I really need to spill the beans to a professional ya know? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭celticcrash

Can you tell us a bit more so we know what direction to send you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 SeaDawg00

Depression, anxiety issues, that sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭celticcrash

Jack Byrnes
    Nirvana Hynotherapy and Counseling Centre
    O`Brians bridge
    Co. Clare

Phone; 087-922-5733

Email: jackbyrnes08@yahoo.co.uk

Nice fellow who knows his stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Brian O'Keeffe (Psychologist)
    19 Barrington Street,
    Limerick,
    061 313 811

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Go to your GP.

Best of luck :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

amiable wrote: »
    Go to your GP.

Would second this. Make your GP your first port of call, and follow whatever advice you get there in terms of treatment/counselling.

Well done on being brave enough to want to speak to somebody, and I wish you nothing but the very best going forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

OP, there's a very good lady in Thurles. I know it's a bit out of your way, but I went to her myself for issues similar enough to yours and would definitely recommend her. If you're interested at all then PM me and I can give you her name and number etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

SeaDawg00 wrote: »
    Depression, anxiety issues, that sort of thing.

Best of luck with it all SeaDawg - Attitudes to and understanding of depression seem to be evening out in recent years, seems like its more 'normal', you hear of more people casually mentioning bouts of it same as any other illness it and it seems to carry less negative social stigma etc thankfully.

- Search for depression on here, I think there's a few good threads - especially this one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭jsd1004

Kess73 wrote: »
    Would second this. Make your GP your first port of call, and follow whatever advice you get there in terms of treatment/counselling.

Well done on being brave enough to want to speak to somebody, and I wish you nothing but the very best going forward.

Certainly go to your GP but GP's are doctors, not psychologists, they practice what they have been trained as best practice which usually involves prescribing drugs. Try Terry Lynch (a GP but also a psychologist) or Marieanne Murphy, both come highly recommended. (Google)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 lady fox

Eugene Cleary
    clearycounselling.com (i think) Qualifications are on website
    Based in Castletroy near UL
    Male, discreet and easy to chat to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 limerickperson

Michael Horgan
    Based in Barrington Strret
    in the city centre
    really really good guy

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Evennia

Colette Linehan Westbury, Corbally, Limerick
    linehancolette@gmail.com / (087) 279 8553 / http://www.counsellinglimerick.com/
    Fantastic lady - has really helped a friend of mine and deals with a variety of issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 epicureanlady

Hello there, I joined boards to respond to you. Phil Foley is based on Cecil Street and was a therapist with Pieta House. She was the best I came across. Here's her number (087)9164596. The very best of luck to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 RYR

Hello there also

Can I give a second vote to Terry Lynch

He has also written some books on the topic u might find good.

Good luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 112 ✭✭redron74

amiable wrote: »
    Go to your GP.

Definitely go to your GP first.
    Although doctors' usual modus operandi is to prescribe drugs, most will have attended a seminar on mental health issues at some time in the last decade, and would probably not jump straight to the prescription pad. Anyway, you can always tell him/her that you don't want to go down the drugs route straight away, that you'd prefer to keep that as a backup plan.

If you have a medical card, your GP can put you on the public waiting list. AFAIK, the waiting times for these services are not very long. Then if the psychologist you're assigned doesn't work out for you, you can go private.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Whatever you, don't go to Arthur Guinness..

+1 on Jack Byrnes

Some counsellors/psychs will work well for one person but not for another. Depends...

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Mcjmetroid

Hi sorry to bump an old thread but I'm wondering about this myself.
    I'm also looking for someone who might be able to work on a budget because I have a medical card and I am unemployed at the moment.

Thanks very much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Taco Chips

Hey Mcjmetroid. Like some of the other posters have mentioned the best first stop would be to go to your GP. They are trained in mental health and providing help. They will know what type of therapy would help you best and they'll know who the best local therapists in the area are. They'll also know which ones are most accessible/shortest waiting list if you have a medical card and which ones may be more financially suitable for you :) Best of luck with everything.

Advertisement