Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rent allowance Dublin

• 03-06-2012 12:09am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭

Hi all, i was approved by the local authority as being in need of social housing and put on a waiting list last monday. was speaking to a landlord in the city centre about renting a apartment over the week and he wants me to move in tomorrow. will i be entitled to rent allowance? I am also unemployed.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69 ✭✭yellowtrout

To qualify for rent allowance you must be renting privately for 6 months and be on the housing list.
    Best to speak to your Community Welfare Officer for more info..or someone will post more helpful stuff here, I'm sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

http://www.welfare.ie/en/schemes/supplementarywelfareallowance/pages/rentsupplement.aspx

have a read of the link above, you need to be renting for 6mths out of the last 12 privately, apply for social housing and your rental accommodation must be within the limits for your area

you need to go to your cwo, they give you the forms to fill in along with landlord details once you have that done, return them to cwo, they will then arrange a visit out to you to check your place is where you say it is and habitable...you then wait and eventually they send a letter out saying it you are approved or not and the rate you will receive every week/mth depending on how often you are paying your rent. it is put into post office with your sw payment.

best of luck op

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭amtw

To qualify for rent allowance you must be renting privately for 6 months and be on the housing list.
    Best to speak to your Community Welfare Officer for more info..or someone will post more helpful stuff here, I'm sure.

AFAIK you must be renting privately for 6 out of the past 12 months or have been assesed as being in need of housing by a local authourity within the past 12 months.

Depending on where you live you apply to your local CWO or to the Central Rents Unit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

^^^^^

they do say renting privately for 6 out of 12mths or on housing list

however in my experience you really do have to do both I have been on rent allowance for nearly two years and have moved county council in that time and in both council areas they required me to transfer to the housing list in that cc area

the only thing that annoyed me was any time i spent on the first council list is not transferable over to the new council list i am on, i was on the first council list for years as applied when i was working so all that time is now no existent which is a bad new rule that was brought in

and just before any of you say it isnt this way, it really is as had words with SDCC over it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭stevek93

Thanks for all the info. Was told monday in the dublin city council housing office that i am entitled to rent allowance once im on the list for social housing but never said anything about having to rent the property for minimum of 6 month. Be sleeping on the couch the past 4 years as well not sure if the cwo will take that into account.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

stevek93 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the info. Was told monday in the dublin city council housing office that i am entitled to rent allowance once im on the list for social housing but never said anything about having to rent the property for minimum of 6 month. Be sleeping on the couch the past 4 years as well not sure if the cwo will take that into account.

No it does not mean rent that property for 6 monthsl; it means renting privately anywhere for that while... As you are now on the list you are fine; no problems Apply for RA

Advertisement