Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is my iPhone unlocked?

Options
  • 03-06-2012 12:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hey,
    I have a second hand iPhone from O2 on bill pay...just wondering if anyone knows if it'd be unlocked or not? I'm not bothered unlocking it if it isn't, but am just waiting for a code to unlock an older phone to use abroad and am worried I won't get the code in time. I put the new sim in and it just said no service but I don't know if that was cos the sim is a US one and just had no signal? I read somewhere that billpay phones aren't locked sometimes?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Your phone is locked, ring o2 for an unlock and it will be done via i tunes when you plug your phone in..

Edit: Sorry just noticed it's secondhand you would have to ask the original owner to request the unlock

• Registered Users Posts: 25,458 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

To be 100% certain I'd borrow a SIM from another Irish network (i.e. anyone but O2) from a friend and see if you can get a signal but as far as I remember the phone will refuse to even search for a service if it is locked and you put another SIM into it.

If it was locked and you put a US SIM into it, a message saying the phone was blocked would have come up first thing. If it just said no service it's probably unlocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 cartwheel_

coylemj wrote: »
    If it was locked and you put a US SIM into it, a message saying the phone was blocked would have come up first thing. If it just said no service it's probably unlocked.

Yeah that's what I was thinking...thanks a mill I'll try that!

Advertisement