Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Honestly, have you lied on your CV's

• 03-06-2012 12:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 177 ✭✭Memory Of 98

I have just finished my first Curriculum Vitae, "CV", since my last one years ago when I was only a young chap out of school.

I have to say, I was honest in my writing and it is the most boring and unimpressive thing ever. I am certainly going to have to break out a thesaurus and make things a bit more eloquent and even that may not help all that much. I could make up stuff, but I would be afraid that my interviewer would be a fountain of knowledge on the subject and make me look like a fool.

Be honest, how many of you have lied on your CV's, and did you get away with it?

And if any of you have been caught, please share your stories, they would help brighten up this dreary wet night. :pac:

Have you lied on your Curriculum Vitae 59 votes

I have lied
    0% 0 votes
    I have not lied
    100% 59 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭joshrogan

In fairness I've never been given the chance to tame a lion but I think I would give it a good go...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

Hell yeah. I told them I was a good worker that enjoyed helping people.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,908 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Never!! I would never do such a dastardly thing!

OK, yeah I have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭OakeyDokey

Nah!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

according to my last CV I founded the company I was applying for an entry level position in

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

Nah, but lied my ass off in interviews!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

Honestly, have you ever lied on your CV?

These two words don't go in the same sentence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 177 ✭✭Memory Of 98

joshrogan wrote: »
    In fairness I've never been given the chance to tame a lion but I think I would give it a good go...

Do they still use the chair and whip method or is that outdated?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Straight out lies now.
    Exaggerations have been made in a couple things

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Battered Mars Bar

I'm quite the miserable b*astard but according to my CV I'm a socialable team player :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

Seven years at the New York Institution of Dance?

Seems legit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

No, but I'm feckin sick of giving "references" for people I barely know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

I remember one of the guys on the UK Apprentice lied on his CV and was found out.
    He won !

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/3554129/The-Apprentice-Lee-McQueen-winner-of-BBC-show-despite-CV-lies.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

Doyler92 wrote: »
    Honestly, have you ever lied on your CV?

These two words don't go in the same sentence.

What are you talking about? Yes they do!

English, Doyler92, do you speak it?

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Vicar in a tutu

Well yeah I used to.. only about stupid things that make me seem like an upstanding member of society.

InReality wrote: »
    I remember one of the guys on the UK Apprentice lied on his CV and was found out.
    He won !

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/3554129/The-Apprentice-Lee-McQueen-winner-of-BBC-show-despite-CV-lies.html

So, if I lie on my CV will I become rich, famous and a celebrity?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

One of my references was Genghis Khan:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

I actually got sacked from a job I was very good at for lying on my c.v, I never told them I had a single poxy conviction for the makings of 3 joints. The same sick individual of a Garda who originally caught me actually searched me on my way into work while my workmates were passing, So naturally enough the managers got wind of it, I'v never sold drugs or ever brought drugs into work but the cops were obsessed with that factory anyway just because we earned way more than them. A shítload of people were let go from there over convictions and the clowns had a job replacing me on the server too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

All my CV is basically lies.

I feel sorry for the lads who actually paid to get a degree and or work experience!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭southcentralts

if ya don't believe me just call NASA and they will tell ya I was a cowboy astronaut millionaire, like it says on my CV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I dont have one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

if ya don't believe me just call NASA and they will tell ya I was a cowboy astronaut millionaire, like it says on my CV.
    i worked with a girl a few years ago in a pub, who went on to get a placement at NASA, dont know exactly what she does now, but i could do with writing up a CV

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Ms.M

I've only ever lied on CVs in the past to make myself seem less nerdy and less qualified.
    Anyone else done this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Don't have a CV yet.

But I don't see the point of a CV and writing bull **** in it like oh I'm an excellent team worker and I'm motivated and enthusiastic and I've done all these bull **** things in my past which have nothing to do with the job I'm applying for but make me look cool and outgoing and other meaningless adjectives people use to describe themselves.

All a CV should have is your basic contact details, your past qualifications and experience and a couple of references if required. None of that bull **** talk about I've done all these bull **** things in the past and it makes me somehow awesome and perfectly suitable for this job which has nothing to do with anything of that bull ****.

In a perfect world when you apply for a job, they should give you a trial for like 4 weeks or something and if you show that you can learn and have the capacity of doing the job well, then they should hire you. Not based on what all bull **** you did in your past...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

There is no need to lie on your CV. You can make any job or experience sound great on the piece of paper if you want too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭optimistic_

Don't have a CV yet.

But I don't see the point of a CV and writing bull **** in it like oh I'm an excellent team worker and I'm motivated and enthusiastic and I've done all these bull **** things in my past which have nothing to do with the job I'm applying for but make me look cool and outgoing and other meaningless adjectives people use to describe themselves.

All a CV should have is your basic contact details, your past qualifications and experience and a couple of references if required. None of that bull **** talk about I've done all these bull **** things in the past and it makes me somehow awesome and perfectly suitable for this job which has nothing to do with anything of that bull ****.

In a perfect world when you apply for a job, they should give you a trial for like 4 weeks or something and if you show that you can learn and have the capacity of doing the job well, then they should hire you. Not based on what all bull **** you did in your past...

I'd suggest you broaden your vocabulary for your upcoming CV.

The entire interview process is wrong, I'll grant you that. Aptitude tests, and example work from the role are the way forward, along with a brief informal chat to check you fit in personality-wise.
    One or two days max mixing with the staff, and then a decision should be made.

However your CV should definitely contain more than just your qualifications and previous experience. One brief opening paragraph. Then bullet points of work, qualifications, references. 1 page - Only give detailed breakdown of the most recent or current employment, and job titles for everything before that.

And to answer the OP - Exaggerated slightly on numbers, but never an outright lie. My references are solid enough and i sell myself well in an interview. If you're not qualified for the job you won't make interview stage. The interview is to check facts on your cv and to make sure you're not out of your mind insane.

Ms.M wrote: »
    I've only ever lied on CVs in the past to make myself seem less nerdy and less qualified.
    Anyone else done this?

Well kinda yeah! Up until recently I was looking for a job. I had three standard CVs, one for a job I was qualified for, one that was aimed at call centre/customer service jobs and one for hospitality/cleaning jobs. I have experience for all three and focused in on all the experience relevant to each job.

I have to admit it seemed to work, especially for hospitality/cleaning jobs as I got a few interviews, 1 offer cleaning offices for a few hours a day, but I then got a fulltime job that I'm qualified for (start tomorrow :D:D:D:D ).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭optimistic_

RachaelVO wrote: »
    Well kinda yeah! Up until recently I was looking for a job. I had three standard CVs, one for a job I was qualified for, one that was aimed at call centre/customer service jobs and one for hospitality/cleaning jobs. I have experience for all three and focused in on all the experience relevant to each job.

I have to admit it seemed to work, especially for hospitality/cleaning jobs as I got a few interviews, 1 offer cleaning offices for a few hours a day, but I then got a fulltime job that I'm qualified for (start tomorrow :D:D:D:D ).

Congrats, Also starting a new job this week after four years in my old job!

Thanks a million. I genuinely couldn't wipe the smile off my face when I got the offer! I was absolutely delighted! Wasn't working for just over a year so now I'm back to the grindstone and I couldn't be happier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,520 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I may not have a traditional medical qualification but I'm fairly good at crystal therapy so it's not really lying.

However your CV should definitely contain more than just your qualifications and previous experience. One brief opening paragraph. Then bullet points of work, qualifications, references. 1 page - Only give detailed breakdown of the most recent or current employment, and job titles for everything before that.
    no, that should be for your cover letter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Yeah, my CV says that I enjoy helping people while working in retail. I don't. I really do not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

I'm liberal with the truth when it comes to the wishy washy traits team playing, extensive experience etc etc. Don't like talking myself up.

All the actual work stuff, like what I did in previous jobs, is true though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

I then got a fulltime job that I'm qualified for (start tomorrow :D:D:D:D ).

Well done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

Yep... quite fabulously actually!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Happy Dayz... well done :)

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Well done

mattjack wrote: »
    Happy Dayz... well done :)

Thanks lads, I'm genuinely delighted, nearly started crying when I got the offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Thanks lads, I'm genuinely delighted, nearly started crying when I got the offer.

Aw shucks...Mikemac1..... the lady's gone all emotional an' ****....

• Advertisement

mattjack wrote: »
    Aw shucks...Mikemac1..... the lady's gone all emotional an' ****....

Shush, you're gonna ruin my street cred... SHEESH :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Yes.

But who gives a ****? I want jobs, I feel no guilt for trying me best to get them. As long as it's not something like some random fella faking medical/healthcare qualifications, and the job gets done well, then who ****ing cares what it says on the CV?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 hammerhanley

I have just finished my first Curriculum Vitae, "CV", since my last one years ago when I was only a young chap out of school.

I have to say, I was honest in my writing and it is the most boring and unimpressive thing ever. I am certainly going to have to break out a thesaurus and make things a bit more eloquent and even that may not help all that much. I could make up stuff, but I would be afraid that my interviewer would be a fountain of knowledge on the subject and make me look like a fool.

Be honest, how many of you have lied on your CV's, and did you get away with it?

And if any of you have been caught, please share your stories, they would help brighten up this dreary wet night. :pac:

Look there has to be something that you could talk about, like doing charity work, cycling begginer. I had no education none no juiner no leaving. but i had great imagination. but i always safe in the knolage that the job i was going for, it was not out of my reach. And always worked my arse off. so my cv was never questioned. As i do the interveiwing now, i dont look to hard at cvs, i look very hard at the person looking to join my work force. be confident not cocky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

What are you talking about? Yes they do!

English, Doyler92, do you speak it?

:cool:

Well, now that you say it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

I've lied.

In hobbies I wrote 'Zorbing' and 'Slam Dunking'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

My CV says that I'm a good team player. so yes

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Stacey.

Yeah, might as well. It's not like they're ever gonna find out anyway. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,036 ✭✭✭✭bnt

No. It's already a squeeze to get my details on to two pages, and I already have difficulty remembering what I have done. No space for any more on the page or in my brain. Maybe that's why my CV seems to fall in to a black hole every time I send it out ... :rolleyes:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

Nothing major...just a few little pointless fibbeens. Upgraded my leaving results a grade or two and embellished my hobbies in the past and now I write "fluent" for my level in Irish because I'm a big saddo and the Spanish wouldn't know any better anyhow and it sounds cool. :cool:

Oh and I also put down I finished the Marketing certificate I dropped out of at the end of the second year when I started a new college course.

And that's it!

Mad thing here....they don't check references for ANY position in Spain. I'm serious! The only way you'll be caught out is by starting the job and having no fecking clue what you're doing....

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

No, I don't make up any facts. It would be too easy to get caught out otherwise. I make the most out of the traits/experience I have and try to tailor each CV to the job at hand. I have two - one for retail and one for cleaning. Mind you, I'm still unemployed so maybe I'm doing something wrong :o

• Advertisement
Advertisement