Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick Physics Question!

• 03-06-2012 12:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Explain the significance of conjugate foci.

This came up on a mock a few years back and I can't find a definite answer anywhere....care to help? :o

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

I have no idea what that is. I seriously doubt something like that would be asked on a real paper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Some of those physics mocks are mad, but if they are what I think they are, its something to do with 1/f1 + 1/f2 = 1/f

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Astrozombies

as in.. focal lengths of lenses/mirrors?
    probably just like complex conjuates in maths (-1/2i , +1/2i) hmm, dunno, bit of a weirrrrd one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

Conjugate foci
    Since the lens equation (1/f = 1/u + 1/v) is symmetrical for image and object, it follows that the positions of an object and its real image can be interchanged. In other words, if an object at some position O produces a real image at I, then if the object is placed at I, the image will be formed at O. Such positions are called conjugate foci. The distance D between the two position is a minimum when u = v, and this occurs when u = 2f.

Stolen from skoool.ie

I doubt this would come up, it's a bit of an awkward definition. It may have come up more on the old course, as I know optics was done a bit more in depth back then. You had to know how a microscope worked and image formation for a system of lenses, perhaps its more important there.#

The current syllabus doesn't specify that it's to be known.

Advertisement