Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Gaming PC

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 210 ✭✭Craig B

Thanks a million I'll get right on ordering one.:)

Ok, this vid might help a bit tho. Glad to help ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭i am an onion

Craig B wrote: »
    Ok, this vid might help a bit tho. Glad to help ;)

Thank you!

Hey, I was in the process of ordering the PC when a thing called a " Order Defective-pixel test " came up. should I do it, it's an extra 20 euro though?
    They also gave this link : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defective_pixel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

What's the monitor? Unless it's an import like a Catleap, I wouldn't bother.

What's the monitor? Unless it's an import like a Catleap, I wouldn't bother.

This is the monitor.http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?agid=603&aid=58698&basket.changed=1
    So what do you think?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Don't bother, if it has a dead pixel (very unlikely) you can get it replaced.

Don't bother, if it has a dead pixel (very unlikely) you can get it replaced.

Thanks for your help!

Hey, could I ask you one more question? How do you think my internet will perform? ( if you look at the bottom of my opening post you will see what my internet is like, on average ). It's just playing online on my PS3 is a pain (sometimes) due to the bad connection. Will this be the same for the PC, or will it be better on the computer seeing as it's, well, a computer:)? I was especially wondering about the wireless card. Will it be able to pick up a connection better than the PS3 seeing as it's new and not 6 years old :)?

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Is there any chance of you getting it wired to the access point instead of wireless?

Xenoronin wrote: »
    Is there any chance of you getting it wired to the access point instead of wireless?

Very doubtful.

• Advertisement

Do you know if there is anything I could do? The access point is connected to the family PC, which is downstairs. I can't take the access point upstairs where the new PC will be, but I was wondering if maybe I could get a longer cable and make it so the signal isn't as corrupted by the stairs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭TheAmateur

Do you know if there is anything I could do? The access point is connected to the family PC, which is downstairs. I can't take the access point upstairs where the new PC will be, but I was wondering if maybe I could get a longer cable and make it so the signal isn't as corrupted by the stairs.

Can you run an ethernet cable down? Something like this maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

You could use a long net cable.

1.Get a bog standard switch like this;(A cheap 10/100 switch from PC world etc. will do fine-this is just an example)

2.Use a short Cat 5 patch cable to connect the switch to the access point/eircom/ntl box.

3. Run the long Cat 5 cable to your PC, ideally as neatly as possible if on the stairs, you can clip it to the side with cable clips-this will prevent family members involuntarily decending the stairs at speed.;)

Plug the power cable for the into a socket to power up, done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

There is also this option but i'm not sure how good it actually is
    http://www.dabs.ie/products/tp-link-av500-mini-powerline-adapter-starter-kit-849M.html?src=15

TheAmateur wrote: »

Thanks. I might try that. however, I just thought of something.

At present the router/access point is connected to the family desktop via an Ethernet cable. I was wondering if I could perhaps move the router near to my PS3 ( in this case, however, PC ) and connect the Ethernet cable to my PC, and if so, would the family PC be able to pick up the wireless? ( I'm pretty certain it has a wireless card in it, but if not, I could easily use the one I'm buying ).

Unfortunately, I do not have a phone socket in my room ( where I wish to put the PC ). The phone socket is downstairs ( specifically under the stairs ). I was wondering if I used a long telephone lead to connect the router to the phone socket, would this affect the signal ( It's just that I'm aware that a long Ethernet cable affects the signal but I'm unsure about telephone leads ).

Thanks for your time.

TheAmateur wrote: »
    glynf wrote: »
    You could use a long net cable.

1.Get a bog standard switch like this;(A cheap 10/100 switch from PC world etc. will do fine-this is just an example)

2.Use a short Cat 5 patch cable to connect the switch to the access point/eircom/ntl box.

3. Run the long Cat 5 cable to your PC, ideally as neatly as possible if on the stairs, you can clip it to the side with cable clips-this will prevent family members involuntarily decending the stairs at speed.;)

Plug the power cable for the into a socket to power up, done.
    Xenoronin wrote: »
    There is also this option but i'm not sure how good it actually is
    http://www.dabs.ie/products/tp-link-av500-mini-powerline-adapter-starter-kit-849M.html?src=15

Thanks guys! I didn't see your posts at first, sorry.:(

Those are good suggestions, thanks, but what do you think of my post above ^^ ?

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Incompetent

What about powerline/homeplug? I'm considering this myself, is it worthwhile?

What about powerline/homeplug? I'm considering this myself, is it worthwhile?

Sorry, I don't know, what are they?

Sorry, I don't know, what are they?

You plug an ethernet cable into a [home]plug socket at your router, then another into a socket beside your device, and the connection travels over your house's wiring.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-PA211KIT-200Mbps-Powerline-Ethernet/dp/B004INVKP4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1339791249&sr=8-1

I've read conflicting reports on whether they're worth it.

You plug an ethernet cable into a [home]plug socket at your router, then another into a socket beside your device, and the connection travels over your house's wiring.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-PA211KIT-200Mbps-Powerline-Ethernet/dp/B004INVKP4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1339791249&sr=8-1

I've read conflicting reports on whether they're worth it.

I'll check that out, thanks. I'll wait until someone answers my previous question at the top of this page as that would be my preferred method at this point.

• Advertisement

Thanks. I might try that. however, I just thought of something.

At present the router/access point is connected to the family desktop via an Ethernet cable. I was wondering if I could perhaps move the router near to my PS3 ( in this case, however, PC ) and connect the Ethernet cable to my PC, and if so, would the family PC be able to pick up the wireless? ( I'm pretty certain it has a wireless card in it, but if not, I could easily use the one I'm buying ).

Unfortunately, I do not have a phone socket in my room ( where I wish to put the PC ). The phone socket is downstairs ( specifically under the stairs ). I was wondering if I used a long telephone lead to connect the router to the phone socket, would this affect the signal ( It's just that I'm aware that a long Ethernet cable affects the signal but I'm unsure about telephone leads ).

Thanks for your time.
    Actually, do you guys think I should use an Ethernet cable? I was wondering about the length, and the modem is only about 20 - 25 metres away from my room upstairs, so I doubt the connection would be that badly affected and would be better than my wireless connection.

Any ideas?

I think I'm gonna get an Ethernet Cable instead. Would the fact that the router is under the stairs not matter, seeing as it will be a wired connection?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

I think I'm gonna get an Ethernet Cable instead. Would the fact that the router is under the stairs not matter, seeing as it will be a wired connection?

Just get homeplugs, saves a lot of hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Beaver1

Eboggles wrote: »
    Just get homeplugs, saves a lot of hassle.

I have these homeplugs and they are brillant

Thanks, but what advantage exactly do homeplugs have over Ethernet Cables? Someone else suggested me to get something called a " Shielded Ethernet cable ".

Oh btw, I brought the router upstairs into my room and had it connected to the phone socket downstairs. I had the router plugged into my PS3 by using a ( small ) Ethernet cable, and even though it worked, it was pretty much the same as my wireless connection. Would this be because of the length of the phone wire connecting the router to the phone socket?

Thanks, but what advantage exactly do homeplugs have over Ethernet Cables?

You don't have to put an ethernet cable across your house or up and down stairs. You just plug them in really.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sue1Zvmh8JA

I think I'll chance it with them

You don't have to put an ethernet cable across your house or up and down stairs. You just plug them in really.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sue1Zvmh8JA

I think I'll chance it with them

But is convenience the only advantage they have over Ethernet Cables? I looked at the vid ( thanks for the link :) ) and it seemed that was the only advantage and that Ethernet had a better connection. The whole thing with having wires all over my house isn't really a problem as my father is pretty much our own personal handyman and would be able to make the wiring rather inconspicuous with the bonus of it being free of charge.:D

So, what do you think?

The whole thing with having wires all over my house isn't really a problem as my father is pretty much our own personal handyman and would be able to make the wiring rather inconspicuous with the bonus of it being free of charge.:D

Then I'd say go for ethernet. Much stronger connection. I think you can only use cat5 cable for a hundred or so meters though so make sure it's less than that.

Then I'd say go for ethernet. Much stronger connection. I think you can only use cat5 cable for a hundred or so meters though so make sure it's less than that.

Thanks! Can I ask you what should be my last question?:D
    I may have to run the cable outside, so is it still a good idea to get a cat5 cable?

• Advertisement

Thanks! Can I ask you what should be my last question?:D
    I may have to run the cable outside, so is it still a good idea to get a cat5 cable?

Honestly no idea. A quick google gave conflicting opinions. Some say dangerous and others have been doing it for a while

I read this

Advertisement