Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Gaming PC

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭i am an onion

Honestly no idea. A quick google gave conflicting opinions. Some say dangerous and others have been doing it for a while

I read this

Hmm, thanks. I guess I'll take the chance and get a Cat5e cable anyway:D.

We're going to have 2 desktops connected to the router, whereas before it was just 1 desktop and the PS3. Will this have a massive negative impact on the connection, or would it be negligible considering they are both connected by Ethernet? The speed of the internet is in the opening post btw, if you want to see it. ( sorry for this question btw, I thought the last one would be my... well, last :D )

Oh, I was also wondering if I should get a CAT5e or CAT6 cable. What do you think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭Akarinn

^^ possibly the most awkward PC Build thread to date.. "what do you think"..? xd

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Incompetent

Oh, I was also wondering if I should get a CAT5e or CAT6 cable. What do you think?

I'm definitely not the best person for these questions, but seen as no one else is replying I'll try with my own anecdotal evidence.

You shouldn't notice a degradation in network performance as long as you're not using serious bandwidth hoggers like p2p file sharing on one machine. Or if you are cap the speed.

As for cat 6... I've always used cat 5 (maybe 5e?) and haven't had problems. A quick google says cat6 is better though.

https://encrypted.google.com/search?hl=en&q=cat6%20vs%20cat5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Tij da feen

You'd be fine with a Cat5e. Cat6 is better but the cables are much more stiff which makes it awkward when you're trying to bend them into corners.

• Advertisement

Thanks guys. :D

Akarinn wrote: »
    ^^ possibly the most awkward PC Build thread to date.. "what do you think"..? xd

I know, I'm a dumb-ass.

Hey guys. Sorry to bring up an old thread but I have a couple of problems with the PC ( nothing major I think, so thanks for all your help in the past )

Well I have 2 problems.

1) The disc-tray won't even open. I just got it and wanted to put in the Win 7 disc but alas, no luck. It doesn't even make a noise or light or anything.

2) There is no signal to the monitor. ( I'd imagine I could fix this if I could install Win & but the bloody disc tray won't allow me to )

I got it assembled for me, so If fixing it involves going to the innards of the PC, I doubt I'll be able to fix it.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Jarren wrote: »

Thanks for the link, but I did that and even when I put a pin into the little hole, it does nothing.

From reading the comments that the uploader said to one person, it seems that my disc tray is stuck bad.

Edit: After getting impatient and pushing so hard on the pin I thought T'd break it, I got it open.

I noticed some of the teeth were missing, but that's beside the point. It seems like there is absolutely zero power going to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

Hey guys. Sorry to bring up an old thread but I have a couple of problems with the PC ( nothing major I think, so thanks for all your help in the past )

Well I have 2 problems.

1) The disc-tray won't even open. I just got it and wanted to put in the Win 7 disc but alas, no luck. It doesn't even make a noise or light or anything.

2) There is no signal to the monitor. ( I'd imagine I could fix this if I could install Win & but the bloody disc tray won't allow me to )

I got it assembled for me, so If fixing it involves going to the innards of the PC, I doubt I'll be able to fix it.

Thanks.
    1) The power connector is unplugged going into the Disc drive. It looks like this:
    sata15pin.jpg
    Open up the case and plug it in.

2) Again, no signal might be because there is no power going to (a) the CPU or (b) the GPU or (c) both. Open up the case and ensure that the CPU 8 pin and GPU 6 pin connectors are both connected.

If you're uncomfortable with doing these, open up the case and take a few photos. We'll guide you through it.

Eboggles wrote: »
    1) The power connector is unplugged going into the Disc drive. It looks like this:
    sata15pin.jpg

2) Again, no signal might be because there is no power going to (a) the CPU or (b) the GPU or (c) both. Open up the case and ensure that the CPU 8 pin and GPU 6 pin connectors are both connected.

If you're uncomfortable with doing these, open up the case and take a few photos. We'll guide you through it.

I'll try that soon, thank you :) .

Eboggles wrote: »
    sata15pin.jpg

Oh, may I ask what the underlined look like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

CPU 8pin = p3.jpg

PCIe 6pin = pcie6index.jpg

Just take some photos if you're unsure.

Ok, so power connector going to the disc drive was not connected, so I fixed that fairly easily, thanks :)

However, the monitor is still on the Fritz :D I don't think it has anything to do with 8 and 6 pin connectors because, while I don't know what they look like, I just gave everything a hard push to make sure they were in place.

Edit: Oh I see you just posted what they look like thanks.

Theres now power going to it, but it just says " No Signal Detected! " and then powers itself off.

Ok, I managed to fix it but now the BIOS doesn't show, it just goes to the login screen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

Ok, I managed to fix it but now the BIOS doesn't show, it just goes to the login screen.

On some, might be wrong here, you might have to hit a key as soon as it turns on think its delete.

Sarz91 wrote: »
    On some, might be wrong here, you might have to hit a key as soon as it turns on think its delete.

Thanks, but that doesn't work.

Thanks, but that doesn't work.

Ok I found this I'm assuming its UEFI BIOS. http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.php?showtopic=187408

Ok I found this I'm assuming its UEFI BIOS. http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.php?showtopic=187408
    I'll check that out, thanks.

• Advertisement

I'll check that out, thanks.

Does it say anything in the manual? It could be F2 or something.

Does it say anything in the manual? It could be F2 or something.

No,Unfortunately, that doesn't work.

Thanks anyway :).

Also I'm getting this message when I boot my PC up -"the catalyst control center is not supported by the driver version of your enabled graphics adapter. please update your AMD graphics driver or enable your AMD adapter using the displays manager."

I updated my driver like it said but it didn't do anything?

No,Unfortunately, that doesn't work.

Thanks anyway :).

Also I'm getting this message when I boot my PC up -"the catalyst control center is not supported by the driver version of your enabled graphics adapter. please update your AMD graphics driver or enable your AMD adapter using the displays manager."

Ok, so obviously you've already inserted the support CD and stuff. Just read through some of the manual. You are using the AsRock Extreme 4-M ye?

EDIT: Meant to say I just read through some of the manual. Not for you to read through it. Sorry about that.

Ok, so obviously you've already inserted the support CD and stuff. Just read through some of the manual. You are using the AsRock Extreme 4-M ye?
    I'm using the AsRock Z77 Pro3, Sockel 1155, ATX.

Edit : In regards to the monitor issue, how bad do you think it is? I mean, is it really necessary to have the BIOS screen, or can I carry on as normal without it?

Edit 2 : ^ Don't worry about it :)

I'm using the AsRock Z77 Pro3, Sockel 1155, ATX.

Edit : In regards to the monitor issue, how bad do you think it is? I mean, is it really necessary to have the BIOS screen, or can I carry on as normal without it?

Edit 2 : ^ Don't worry about it :)

To be honest. I literally know as much, if not less, than you. I just saw no one else replying so I decided to try help out(I feel like i'll be in your position in a week or two.) Is your motherboard up to date in terms of the latest updates? The button while booting up to enter the BIOS is DELETE or F2. At least according to the manual. Does the keyboard work elsewhere is it properly plugged in? (I'm going on the assumption you're using a different comp to type on here.)

To be honest. I literally know as much, if not less, than you. I just saw no one else replying so I decided to try help out(I feel like i'll be in your position in a week or two.) Is your motherboard up to date in terms of the latest updates? The button while booting up to enter the BIOS is DELETE or F2. At least according to the manual. Does the keyboard work elsewhere is it properly plugged in? (I'm going on the assumption you're using a different comp to type on here.)
    Oh that's grand. I hope you don't have as much bother as me:)

But I tried pretty much everything and nothing worked, so I may have to get a new monitor if I don't find a solution.

Thanks for your help and good luck :D

Sorry I couldn't have been of more help. I'll check back in again tomorrow.

Sorry I couldn't have been of more help. I'll check back in again tomorrow.

Don't worry about it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Try completely uninstalling CCC and all the associated drivers before installing the latest drivers from the AMD website.

• Advertisement

Monotype wrote: »
    Try completely uninstalling CCC and all the associated drivers before installing the latest drivers from the AMD website.

Sorry to be a bother, but is this ( specifically the first one ) the latest driver?

Advertisement