Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outside of Boards.ie...

• 03-06-2012 1:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭

Where else on the internet do you spend your time? What other sites do you frequent most often? Where can you be found during boards-less browsing? :confused:

My bookmark toolbar thing got me thinking about this somehow, so here are my favourite haunts, where you can find me, bar boards.ie. :)
    (-I check boards at least once a day, just to clarify. (Maybe more :D))

-Check Facebook daily/ every second day.
    -Stumbleupon is always open on my laptop, as I'm typing, my next tab is showing this -> http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/9Uu37B/:ekd0LJus:SLQsvojg/www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2012/06/the-mechanics-and-meaning-of-that-ol-dial-up-modem-sound/257816/ If I could only ever go on one site again, it'd have to be stumbleupon! :o
    -Reddit, good for a bit of science news. :pac:
    -Wikipedia, any question I ever ask usually ends up being resolved here!
    -Focal.ie, helps me use the small bit of Irish I have.
    -1channel.ch

These are all sites I would make the effort to go onto, but there's also the one's you inevitably end up on, youtube, etc, as we all know only too well! :D

So picture the scene- you're in for the evening, half 7 on a wet, dark night, curtains closed, roaring fire, boards in one tab, what's in the other? :confused::P

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Boards is my life/ what are these tabs you speak of?/ the first thing i do is go to Goolge.com, and then look for boards.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Boards is probably the main one these days. Have gone right off Facebook nowadays, would close my account were it not for the class page.

I too frequent stumbleupon, but not as much as I used to. Last summer I used to be on there every day for hours. Will still pop on at least once or twice a week for a gander.

I spend a lot of time on IGN or destructoid trying to come up with ideas for things to blog about, and they usually send me on a treasure hunt to toher gaming sites like gamasutra and kotaku.

Not sure whether I should name the sites where I watch less than legal content, but I've found sites to watch Pokemon and the simpsosn which are good if i'm ever bored.

There are more but these are just the ones that come to mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Generally just the usual ones:

Facebook :rolleyes:
    YouTube
    Twitter :o

Then sometimes:

wordpress.com
    examinations.ie (the joys of being a Leaving Cert) :(
    blogtv.com (I spent a while on that last year watching YouTubers doing live shows)
    ultimate-guitar.com
    ezfolk.com/uke/chords
    Various lyric sites found by googling song titles
    fog.com (free online games - I haven't been on that in ages!)
    blogger.com
    gmail.com
    tumblr.com (I never really liked Tumblr but I plan on using it more over the summer)
    quickmeme.com/make :D
    And a site where you can play Pokémon for free. (I probably shouldn't link it seeing as I 'don't know' whether it's legal or not...) ;)

I can't think of anymore right now, but you'll generally find me with Facebook, a couple of YouTube tabs, Twitter, Gmail and Boards open. And maybe an Ultimate Guitar tab (pardon the... pun?) or two if I've got the guitar or uke out! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Rarely on boards these days.

Facebook
    Reddit
    Twitter
    8Tracks & Youtube for music

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Screaminmidget

Google (Gmail, g+ etc.)
    Boards
    Facebook,
    Reddit
    Pitchandputtforum

and a few others depending on what im doing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Pretty much Facebook, Youtube, and Boards in that order. I compulsively check my email too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

Reddit is a great site. I do love the place, especially some of the music subreddits like /r/futurebeats.

To be fair I spend most of my time on social networks (follow me on the Twitter Machine! @ovrplyd), subreddits and IRC channels (quakenet \ #c&h, join us!). I used to StumbleUpon a fair bit but not that much these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

My "Most Visited" on Chrome are:
    Boards
    Tumblr (i have a stupid random blog)
    Facebook
    Youtube
    BiffyClyro.com (Yeah, my 5th most viewed, whatever :P)
    College e-mail
    Hotmail (for things like Facebook)
    Gmail (for more important things) (I tend to just check all three together)

Then there's also:
    Wikipedia
    I used to go on Twitter a bit but I deleted my page
    Fantasy Football before I lost interest in updating my team because I was destined to lose anyway!
    Eh.. Sporcle .. It's a website with loads of quizzes! We used to do them on random days in college!
    Proxify (Because sometimes Boards doesn't work in college)

None too exciting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

I basically live on tumblr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Palytoxin

I may try and broaden my horizons and my browsing range with some of these :pac:
    At the moment I'm trying to get through all the pages I bookmarked during the year and didn't have time to read! :D I find I get into sort of a routine of looking at certain things- checking my email is a reflex at this stage, I find myself checking my college email even if its 2 in the morning on a Saturday night and I already checked it around 5:P
    I have a habit of finding websites with an interesting page, and then I'll check nearly the whole website for any other nuggets of interest, at the moment the website is TED.com, it's actually fairly good, but I waste a good bit of time listening to lectures on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 grizzly700

Donedeal, Gmail, Facebook, Boards and Military.ie

No idea how I forgot Amazon! :eek:

And also
    dorkly.com
    collegehumor.com
    And sometimes thinkgeek.com

GrooveShark too for music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Is there any sites I can list here that will make people think I'm smart or have actual interests?

Davidius wrote: »
    Is there any sites I can list here that will make people think I'm smart or have actual interests?
    You can say anything here and I promise to accept it as fact, no matter how odd or outrageous your interests may be :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Wikipedia

I honestly could spend hours going from something like say "guitar" and clicking links and more links til I end up reading about donkeys in Nepal...

Then after 2 hours you have to go back and try to remember what you originally went onto wikipedia for in the first place.... :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭IHeartChemistry

I basically live on Facebook. I'm never logged out of it like...minor addiction problem :P
    Addicting Games is another. Since the exam season started, myself and my boyfriend have just sat down for hours, playing the same game, to see who can beat it quicker online. Soo many games played! I spend too many hours a day on it.
    Dailymail. Yes, I know. But I love gossip :D
    My college email, when it's not broken! :pac:
    Digital Spy is another one I'm always on.
    Stumbleupon... addicting ta fook.
    Pottermore! Keep replaying it... ^_^
    Youtuuuuube!

Thats all for now :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

TED
    Big Think
    Stumbleupon
    Youtube
    8tracks
    Miniclip
    Nerd Fitness
    Marks Daily Apple
    Sidereel
    and a few other blogs

Not a big social networking fan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    I honestly could spend hours going from something like say "guitar" and clicking links and more links til I end up reading about donkeys in Nepal...

Wikipedia game: Click "Random article" and get to Adolf Hitler in as few clicks as possible.
    (sometimes it's too easy.. once the random article was "Cyanide poisoning". win in one click)

Colm! wrote: »
    Wikipedia game: Click "Random article" and get to Adolf Hitler in as few clicks as possible.
    (sometimes it's too easy.. once the random article was "Cyanide poisoning". win in one click)
    John I (bishop of Orkney) to Hitler, 5 clicks :pac:
    John 1 to Ireland to Britain to Allied Powers to Axis Powers to Hitler, BOOM! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Ryuji_w

The youtubes and this beauty of a gaming site kongregate.com, has gamer score and all oh and facebook, can't forget the facebook:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Indiego

The second i open a browser I open tabs with Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr and boards, and they are always open, no matter what :L

I also tend to frequent:
    stumbleupon
    youtube (mainly just for music though)
    playr.com
    gmail/hotmail/yahoo
    tuenti (its like a spanish Facebook)
    new scientist
    reddit
    Wikipedia
    and about 150+ websites that I have bookmarked that i do tend to go on a lot :L

I spend way too much time online for a 15 y/o girl on summer holidays.. fml XD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

Colm! wrote: »
    Starting Point: Twenga.com (a online shopping platform).
    Sees that it's headwuaters are in France.
    1. France
    Goes through history and spots Nazi Germany
    2. Nazi Germany
    Not hard from here
    3. Adolf Hitler

BOOM! 3 Clicks :cool:

Edit:
    EVEN BETTER! :D
    Random Article - Webster Township, Michigan

1. Clicked United States
    2. Invasion of Polan
    3. Adolf Hitler

:cool: I'm just deadly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

The Wiki Game - must better than trying to get to Hitler, Hitler is way to easy to get to :p

where you get to play against other people - and there's an app for it too for you iPhone heads

can be pretty hard sometimes but still very addictive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

I was going to do this but I landed on "Johnny Summers (footballer)".

"Summers engineered one of the most remarkable comebacks in football history; Charlton were 5-1 down against Huddersfield with half an hour to go with only 10 men; they won 7-6 in the Second Division at The Valley, 21 December 1957. Johnny scored five goals, set up two and scored a six minute hat-trick. Summers later revealed that he changed his boots at half-time after his old pair had started falling apart."

I can't associate this man with Hitler! He's a hero!

Tiger Woods PGA Tour -> USA -> WW2 -> Hitler

EDIT: **** this Wiki game is fun!

My turn!!

Toledo School for the Arts -> United States -> World War II -> Adolf Hitler

Basically the exact same as above bar the first one. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Indiego

Bunter (Geology) --> Germany --> Hitler

****yeah :cool: :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Basically just go for the country and you're there.
    Needs rules:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Croydon East (UK Constituency) -> Parliment of the UK -> UK -> Battle of Britain -> Hitler.

Fuuu- :(

Great Oil Sniffer Hoax -> France -> Axis Powers ->Adolf Hitler

Oh boy this is addictive...

• Advertisement

If you go random article and then click the first blue link on every article you will inevitably wind up on philisophy. Every time

Advertisement