Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sowing a lawn

Options
  • 03-06-2012 1:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭

Hi
    I intend sowing a lawn this year. At the moment I have very unlevel ground
    where the lawn will be. The lawn is each side of a driveway. There are weeds and scutch of all sorts. Can I just level this off roughly now. spray it about august again a couple of weeks later and sow the lawn in september?
    Or Do I need to spray it now before roughly levelling it off. If I dont spray
    it before levelling now will it lead to weeds coming up through the new lawn
    when it eventually is sown?

Cheers
    Espoo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭puzzle factory

level first, spray 2nd

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Espoo

Thanks Puzzle
    Thats what I was hoping. I don't think there will be a problem with weeds coming up due to seeds surviving deep under ground (after levelling)? The spray will penetrate deep enough I'd say? I was going to use roundup? What do you think?

Espoo

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭jc bamford

It would be better spray first. Spray like Roundup is taken in through the leaves and works best on actively growing weeds. Wait until the weeds and grass dies off, then level and till. There will be a whole new set of weed seeds waiting to kick in once you disturb the soil. If you get it sown fairly quickly with a bit of luck the lawn mower will take care of these at the first mowing. If you are leaving it until August you will need to spray again before you start your final tilling

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,501 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I'm spraying the whole garden first. Then I'm going to dig and level off. Respray everything again and then sow the lawn. For what it's worth, the B&Q version of Roundup is actually stronger but importantly a lot less. I've found it works perfect

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Espoo

Thanks all
    Yeah so I think maybe if I put on a strong dose of spray early august. Level off a few weeks later and sow lawn? This might be the handiest?

Cheers

Advertisement