Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you turn off your mobile phone at night?

• 03-06-2012 2:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

The mammy was cross, said I never have my phone on.

Not entirely true but I do turn it off before I go to bed
    Most days I bring it to work but not always, often forget so it might go a day or so turned off.

My phone is also my alarm but you don't need to leave it on for that. So when I go to bed I usually turn my phone off. Just a habit

From talking to the workmates seems this is strange, they have their phone on always

What do the good people of AH do?
    Are you contactable 24/7?

Do you turn off your mobile phone at night? 278 votes

Yes, I turn it off
    0% 0 votes
    No, it's on 24/7
    10% 28 votes
    atari booty call
    89% 250 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

No. I put it on silent, so I guess it doesn't make much of a difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Nope, I go on boards with it at night.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 30 Trollsbury Trollington

The mobile phone is the Irish mammys eternal adult leash.

They never have to let go.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Vicar in a tutu

Nope. Then I get all frustrated if anybody tries to contact me at ungodly hours. Logic:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

For about two months I did turn it off at night.

Since Three stopped ringing me looking for money they will never get I can now leave it on. Cúnts were ringing every morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭OakeyDokey

Nope, stays on until it goes dead. Never know when an emergency might happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

mikemac1 wrote: »
    My phone is also my alarm but you don't need to leave it on for that. So when I go to bed I usually turn my phone off.

My phone is always on, it's my alarm and my time keeper, plus it's something shiny to look at when I wake up at an odd hour.

Touch screen phones are a bitch though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

It's on but on silent though certain people can still get through in case of an emergency - family members mostly. It's entirely silent for texts.

I'd like to be able to switch it off but for the above reason I don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

On SILENT after 9pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

On all the time, but never leaves silent haha.

I wake up at the faintest noise so it on silent still wakes me up, so some nights when I want a good nights sleep I just turn vibration off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

My mobile sees so little action the battery musta gone dead a few yr back. But I failed to notice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

Always leave it on where possible, not that it's been worth leaving it on, rarely goes off :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

on 24/7.

Mostly in case of an emergency or something. But also because it would annoy me every morning going through the phone start up and having to enter your pin etc...

I would never wake up if I got a text anyway and it will take a bit of ringing to get me up also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Jammy Donut

Mines on 24/7.

If it rings I'll wake, if I get a text I won't wake. Kinda strange because there both the same volume.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭girl2

I like your attitude to your mobile OP. I wish I was the same.

Anyway, I had got into the way of turning off my fone at night when I had a blackberry but then I change to iPhone and the problem with it is that the alarm doesn't work if the fone is off. Like, the most simple, basic thing that apple have left out. So my fone is on all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

I don't turn my phone off at all, with volume at night & at work being set for *meeting* with just a beep for all calls, texts & e-mails. The only exception that gets through the *beep* is my alarm!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

girl2 wrote: »
    iPhone and the problem with it is that the alarm doesn't work if the fone is off.

That's pretty ridiculous

Just about every phone in the last decade has been able to set an alarm and then power it off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭girl2

mikemac1 wrote: »
    girl2 wrote: »
    iPhone and the problem with it is that the alarm doesn't work if the fone is off.

That's pretty ridiculous

Just about every phone in the last decade has been able to set an alarm and then power it off

I totally agree. I was completely astounded when i discovered that this was the case (needless to say I discovered it when my alarm didn't go off and I was late for work, total nonsense).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Leeg17 wrote: »
    Always leave it on where possible, not that it's been worth leaving it on, rarely goes off :p

Always dropping hints!:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

Mine's on all the time simply because I'm not arsed having to turn it on again in the morning.

• Advertisement

No, I set it to vibrate and turn on my immobile one.. at nite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

Hot Lips wrote: »
    Leeg17 wrote: »

Always dropping hints!:p

Because it never works :(

/me so roneri

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,725 ✭✭✭oleras

Aeroplane mode when i go to bed.

Alarm still works but no calls or texts come through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Silent between 4am and 6am, on the rest of the time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Always on, doesn't necessarily mean I'll answer the feckin thing though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

My phone has a quite hours feature, turns the phone on silent automatically and takes it off silent at set hours. I have it set currently to go on silent at 2 am and go back on loud at 9 am.

Any android phone with cyanogenmod has this feature by the way and I am sure other phones have it too.

When the new iPhone drops it'll be always on. My Honda 50 of teh mobile world doesn't even retain a charge!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Never turn it of,But sometimes have it on timed silent, like today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Being an iPhone it turns itself off when the battery runs out :(
    Doesnt every battery powered device do this? :p

• Advertisement

I'm often away so the phone stays on, I have had a couple of late night "emergency" calls, so it was needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 439 ✭✭Carstuck

I have to turn it off in the night as otherwise I'd have no battery for the morning. God iPhone batteries are a pain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Put it in airplane mode so doesn't run down as much charge during the night. Means I can use the alarm clock but can't get calls or texts. Someone can ring my wife or the house phone during the night in an emergency.

Your ma ringing in the middle of the night is messed up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I put mine on vibration alert and shove it down the wifes knickers. Guaranteed she will wake first if someone rings., :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

nope, live on my own and my parents live abroad. want to be contactable as much as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

charlemont wrote: »
    For about two months I did turn it off at night.

Since Three stopped ringing me looking for money they will never get I can now leave it on. Cúnts were ringing every morning.
    Yup. Cuntts indeed for looking for money you owe them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Lippy C

I turn it off at night and if I'm busy and get a lots calls/texts during the day I have been known to turn it off. If I arrive at work and realize I have left phone at home sometimes I'm actually not bothered about it.:confused:

always leave it on, i always have it on silent anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

Doubles as my alarm so always on, I generally don't play well with those that ring in the early hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Pat Star

I leave it on at night - mainly because I use my phone as my alarm clock, but also because very rarely someone calls/texts me at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭ButterflyGirl23

I use to put it on silent but then one night I had a missed call from a friend in need so from then on I have always left it on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

I put mine on vibration alert and shove it down the wifes knickers. Guaranteed she will wake first if someone rings., :)

Would it not be better to be woken by the fone ringing, rather than by your wife screaming your best friends name ? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

My BlackBerry can be set auto shut off/on so I have it set to turn off at about 11pm and it comes on with the alarm at 6am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

If an emergency is that bad that it can't wait until morning, then the police will be knocking at your door. Otherwise, it can wait! So the phone goes off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Phone stays on just in case I need to look something up in the middle of the night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

Unfortuntaely I leave it on because of the alarm. It won't alert if the phone's off ffs. I like to knock it off for a few hours here and there though just cause I know no one important wants to call or anything and if they do, well I'll see it when I feel like talking again :)

I hate people who moan about being woken up though, I leave it on silent with only the alarm to sound. If you leave your phone on at night and open to calls it's your fault, no one else's.

My 2 cents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

On 24/7 but usually silent at night. It's also the only alarm I use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

sits in my alarm clock charger on silent....

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

usually do. feck this being contactable at all times sh1te of recent years.

didn't turn it off last night and some bollix sent me a text at half 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,713 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I'm always contactable but people rarely want to contact me...

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Carles Puyol

I only turn it off when I'm leaving it down for a prolonged period and there's a possibility my friends will get their hands on it, like at a match. I normally put it on silent during the night, although that doesn't stop me from waking up if it rings.

• Advertisement
Advertisement