Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Linksys E3000 Router, OpenVPN & DD-WRT firmware.

Options
  • 03-06-2012 8:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭

Hi All,

I'm trying to get OpenVPN working with a service from https://www.vpntunnel.se/, a Linksys E3000 Router and DD-WRT.

The screenshots they provide are for an earlier version of DD-WRT, than the version I have.

Has anyone experience of getting these three pieces to work together sucessfully? If so, can you provide some guidance please?

I have googled, & come across some other scenarios, but none are working for this situation.

Thanks in Advance,

SH

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Moved to Nets & Comms.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭SparrowHawk

...Bump

Anyone?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

jor el wrote: »
    Moved to Nets & Comms.

Tech-> net & comms-> wireless would be a better forum

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

It might help if you posted a link to the screenshots you are working from as well as a description of where you are getting stuck.

@Knasher - that's a fair point :-)

The image from VPNTunnell instructions is linked here
    http://s13.postimage.org/xhg60si93/vpn1.jpg.

The image of the options in my version of DD-WRT is here
    http://s18.postimage.org/fk0huds3t/vpn2.jpg.

The options are different & I do not know which way to go. I have also attached the instruction pdf. Any help/ guidance would be appreciated.

• Advertisement

Okay so you can disable the openvpn server as you don't use that. Now I'm not certain about everything, so try filling in these obvious ones first, see if it works and we can go from there. I'm going to skip over options I'm not sure about so leave them how they are by default. In the openvpn client part from the top:
    Server IP/Name: melissa.vpntunnel.se
    Port: 1194
    Tunnel Device: tap
    Tunnel Protocol: udp
    LZO Compression: yes
    NAT: enabled
    Additional Config:
    push "dhcp-option DNS 80.67.0.2"
    push "dhcp-option DNS 91.213.246.2"
    auth-user-pass /tmp/passwd.txt
    CA Cert:
    <<Whatever your ca cert is>>

Save and then go to the administration>commands section and put
    echo USERNAME >> /tmp/passwd.txt
    echo PASSWORD >> /tmp/passwd.txt
    And save as startup, restart the router and hopefully the interface will come up. It think that should be it, but admittedly it is pretty complicated so let me know how it goes.

Hi Knasher,

followed instuctions - no joy. The IP being reported via my router ( & when I visit the VPNTunnel website is my ISP's assigned IP, not the VPN Tunnel IP.

If you have more suggestions, please let me know.

Thanks again,

SH

That is fine for now, you aren't currently trying to route anything through the VPN so everything is still going over your WAN connection. The important question now is if the connection is actually coming up or not. There may be a way to see in the router interface, but as I've never used a VPN I'm not 100% sure. If you have ssh access enabled, try sshing into it and running ifconfig to see if the tap interface is there, and if so then it should be relatively simple to figure out how to get the routing part right.

Hi Knasher,

Thanks for your help on this issue. I have also been trying with VPNTunnell support, but to no avail. Due to the poor support I have gone & tried BlackVPN from this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056066624&page=30. Following their very concise instructions, I am up & running :D

Thanks again Knasher (hope you didn't spend too much time on it).

Glad to hear you got it sorted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement