Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on traveling to Italy

• 03-06-2012 9:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭

Myself and my wife have to go to Italy at the end of june for her brothers wedding.
    We have a 2 and a half year old little girl and a 4 day old boy at this stage , ive been dreading this trip all year, all i can say is thank god she didnt go over due and didn't have a c section , but anyway, can some people give me some advice on what may be needed to make this trip run smoothly in their opinion if they maybe did something similar. thanks :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

try get yourself a travel sterliser. is she feeding herself or bottle feeding. you should be able to get most of the essentials over there.
    what airline are you using?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭milkandsugar

I travel to Italy regularly with my girls. You will be able to get everything you need for your baby over there but it will be more expensive than here. Also they have different formulas over there. But I have been able to find Cow and Gate. I have found it to be a very breastfeeding friendly country. I would advise flying Aer lingus if you can. I Bring a sling for the baby as this has saved me a number of times. If you are waiting a while without your buggy for eg. Also if you hit the pound shops a get a few treats for your older child and you can give them out slowly over the plane ride. I wish you the best of luck on your trip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I would advise flying Aer lingus if you can. I Bring a sling for the baby as this has saved me a number of times. If you are waiting a while without your buggy for eg. Also if you hit the pound shops a get a few treats for your older child and you can give them out slowly over the plane ride. I wish you the best of luck on your trip

yeh we are flying with Aer Lingus , they have been quite helpfull over putting baby onto the tickets, we had to book flights in advance but obviously didnt have a name or sex for baby, we had a kind of sling but it was very bulky, was hot enough wearing over here, so weve borrowed a very small one from a friend, i have to say im more worried about the 2.5 yr child. last time we went over to manchester on flight she grabbed the lady in front of us hair, i was wishing the flight was about to crash, i was gutted!!! saying that, that was well over a year ago.
    My wife is going to breast feed while over so at least that will help. ive now just got to sort out passports for new little man. Im just a bit worried about the heat while over . im not a bit fan of the heat, .....just as well i suppose living in ireland :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

Don't panic. We travelled to Southern Italy in the middle of July when our daughter was tiny!
    Tips:
    -Get a Baby Bjorn for carrying her in the airport
    -Hire your own car
    -Travel steriliser and Milton tabs
    -Factor 50 suncream
    -sunhats
    -Parasol for buggy
    -All airlines let you take buggy free of charge
    -Pay to bring your own carseat. You can't be guaranteed a car seat at the rental place and even if the have one it's prob not as good as the one you have at home
    - book priority boarding on flights

Relax. It's not as much hassle as you think itll be!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

We used Milton tablets instead of a steriliser. Just drop 1 in a sink of water and throw your stuff in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

The Italians generally love babies and can't do enough to help - that was our experience. We had grown men stopping in the street to coo at our baby. So that should help. The breastfeeding will make life so much easier, and a sling as stated above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Breastfeed on take off and landing and your baby will be fine. Breastfeed as normal there and there'll be no problem with dehydration. Breast milk adapts to the weather and temperature.

I think traveling with such a small baby should be relatively ok. All they want at that stage is to be held. A sling is a must for going through airports but it will also be great for during the day. Carry him as much as you can and he shouldn't be too bothered by the change of environment. We used the ergo with the infant insert so our son faced inwards and could hear our heart beat. He used to sleep for hours in it.

Advertisement