Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My dog didn't recognise me. What do I do?

• 03-06-2012 9:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭

Hi

I came home last night after a few beers. We are staying at my in laws house so my wife went to get the dog from our room so she could go to the toilet. When she came down to the Kitchen our dog Libby looked at me and seemed to get very nervous. She started to wag her tail a little but then wee'd a little out of nerves. I called her several times and she was slightly making efforts to come to me but then going back beside and behind my wife.

This went on for at least a minute before I went to her and then she immediately recognised me and gave me the usual mental welcome. It was quite upsetting as it was like she never saw me before. As she is a Cocker she can be nervous around strangers and would act the same as she did with me.

The only thing I can think of, is she has a prob with her sight as I would have sounded a bit different after smoking all night.

Any suggestion on what I should do will be appreciated.

It was so so strange as she normally gets over excited when she sees us.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 91 ✭✭meow

maybe it was the combination of the smell of smoke and alcohol, when their smell is so sensitive maybe it she didn't like the smell or it masked your natural scent that she's used to......... just a suggestion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

I've found that dogs can react strangely to the smell of alcohol. When I shared a house with a few people I had a dog, and she wouldn't go near any of the other housemates when they came in after a night on the beer.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

ISDW wrote: »
    I've found that dogs can react strangely to the smell of alcohol. When I shared a house with a few people I had a dog, and she wouldn't go near any of the other housemates when they came in after a night on the beer.

I've come across this many, many times too. Their sense of smell is nothing short if exquisite, and I think the unfamiliar smells of drink and/or smokes coming from a familiar looking person can really throw them. Remember that smell is the dog's strongest sense, and used to ID people before sight, so it seems you smelled like a stranger to her, but were acting way too familiarly with her as a stranger... Scary and confusing for her!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭BrianJD

DBB wrote: »

I've come across this many, many times too. Their sense of smell is nothing short if exquisite, and I think the unfamiliar smells of drink and/or smokes coming from a familiar looking person can really throw them. Remember that smell is the dog's strongest sense, and used to ID people before sight, so it seems you smelled like a stranger to her, but were acting way too familiarly with her as a stranger... Scary and confusing for her!

That makes alot of sense. We had been outside by a smokey fire so I would have been reeking of it and she would not be used to me smelling of alcohol. She could have been confused by hearing my voice which was slightly different after having cigarettes (i dont normally smoke) and not smelling me. I wonder should I have her eyes tested or wait for anymore signs.

Thanks for replies, it was so strange and unnerving.

How old is she, and when is she due her next booster at the vets? I'd be inclined to keep an eye on her (excuse the pun) and ask the vet the next time she's due in, if its in the next few months or so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Specsavers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭BrianJD

How old is she, and when is she due her next booster at the vets? I'd be inclined to keep an eye on her (excuse the pun) and ask the vet the next time she's due in, if its in the next few months or so.

She is 6 and she had her booster only a few weeks ago. She seems fine today but we will definitely keep an eye on her and bring her to the Vet at the first sign of anymore problems.

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

She's trying to tell you to give up the fags lol

I don't see how that would have anything to do with boosters or health she just thought you smelled odd and was a bit confused, that breed have a good nose so it was a lot stronger to her than us humans.

Wouldn't worry about it unless her behaviour in general has been changing in recent times.

She's trying to tell you to give up the fags lol

I don't see how that would have anything to do with boosters or health she just thought you smelled odd and was a bit confused, that breed have a good nose so it was a lot stronger to her than us humans.

Wouldn't worry about it unless her behaviour in general has been changing in recent times.

I didn't mean that it could have anything to do with vaccinations, it was if the dog was due to the go to the vets in the next little while to get her boosters, I would ask the vet then, rather than going specifically for this. :)

Advertisement