Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New puppy advice

• 03-06-2012 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi all,

Am a bit worried about a Maltese puppy I collected on Friday. Since we brought her home she has been having bloody mucousy poo. She's eating and drinking fine and is behaving as a puppy should.
    I brought to my vet yesterday morning who injected her again for parvo just in case, the breeder said he wormed her on Thursday and she doesn't have any temp.

I'm hoping its the change in homes but I'm not sure. I've told my kids that if she's the same on Tuesday I'll be bringing her back to her Mammy but am just wondering if anyone has had any experience of it?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 boo!

Just to say that the reason the vet injected her again is because the breeder said he injected her himself and gave me a card with the details.
    He also told me over the phone she was 10 weeks but when I rang him Friday night he said she was 8 weeks which is too young for a maltese puppy to leave its mother imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 cartwheel_

Oh that's awful..the poor thing. When my dog was a pup she had a similar problem and it was just the glands around her bum but I'd say the vet would've checked that cos it's quite common. If she's rubbing her bum along the ground that could be it though. If the breeder has any of the litter left maybe try find out if those pups are having a similar problem?

When I rang him on Friday night I asked about the other pup and he says its was fine. Vet took her temp and there was a tiny trace of blood on the thermometer which she wasn't worried about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

i have heard that the some of the wormers that are used causes the dead wormes to come out like what you described. dont know how true this is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

I'd go with whatever advice the vet is giving in this case, if the vet revaccinated, then they can't be too worried about the pup, as its pointless giving vaccinations if the dog is ill. It could well be the result of worming, or the pup could have been on food that wasn't agreeing with her, and she could have had the runs, which could lead to a bit of bloody mucous.

If temp is normal, she is eating and drinking as normal, and the vet isn't worried, I'd say she is probably okay. What food do you have her on?

• Advertisement

Am just feeding her plain cooked chicken on the advice of the breeder and clean water. Breeder had her on chicken and the Red Mills Mother and Puppy nuts.
    I've never had this problem before so panic a bit everytime she goes. She's an adorable cotton ball with legs so would hope that she will be ok.

I've never heard of stress causing a problem like this though.

Then again, what puppy isn't adorable!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

i have heard that the some of the wormers that are used causes the dead wormes to come out like what you described. dont know how true this is.

It is absolutely true! Modern wormers reduce all but the worst worm burdens to a gooey, pinky-red mucous. The first pups I fostered years ago had the very same happen, and my ever-patient vet explained why I didn't need to panic... And i've seen it many times since.
    The big changes in your pup's life won't be helping but she'll get through it. I'd be a tad concerned about the discrepancy in age though... Is she an online ads dog by any chance?
    Boiled chicken isn't nutritionally enough on its own. Either a good quality puppy food, or a well balanced home prepared diet would be far more appropriate.
    Good luck!

Thanks all.
    I brought her back to the breeder today. Just wasn't happy with her size/age and the poor little mite really wasn't well. Behaving like a normal little puppy put passing blood.

I have the number of a person who shows them so will contact them in time to enquire where to get a little baby.

Thanks for the replies.

Advertisement