Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cheapest place in Dublin to get tyres fitted

Options
  • 03-06-2012 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭

there was a BA thread recently that was promoting some tyre company but it ended up providing some excellent information about getting tyres fitted on the cheap. this thread now seems to have been deleted. quite a shame as I wanted to get some fitted. is that thread still around or would anyone care to suggest cheap places to get a fitting

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,869 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

You have the tyres already and just need them fitted or you want tyres supplied and fitted cheap?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭groom

bought and fitted. sorry if it wasn't clear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

try http://discounttyres.ie/ in blanchardstown. i find them good for tyres

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

^^^+1

My brother in law got 4 Continental tyres recently from them for 400 Euros.

Very good value indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

Or Dave McCann in Blanch

• Advertisement

Jarren wrote: »
    ^^^+1

My brother in law got 4 Continental tyres recently from them for 400 Euros.

Very good value indeed.

Jaysus. is €100 per tyre good? previous thread that got deleted was suggesting something like€30 per tyre. think that might have included fitting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Yeap ,it was an excellent value according to him, he was quoted 125-150 Euros from other places.

Having said that I got 4 brand new tyres for 160 euros about 2 weeks ago just before the NCT test.

Price will depend on brand name/size of tyres etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭szita2000

30 euro a tyre.
    I wouldn't put it on. The tyre is the only thing that keeps you firmly on the road.
    Don't mind to have a cheap stereo, or crappy sparkplugs, but don't go for bargain tyres. Mate of mine is a mechanic and he said that some of the cheapo tyres like hancook shouldn't be legal. they are not providing any grip, and I'm not driving like a boyracer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

Cheap tyres are a false economy. Drive slower and you will save a lot more ;-)

Well then which tyres are good safe tyres and where would you get them at a good price

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭szita2000

Top notch:Bridgestone, Continental, Dunlop, Goodyear, Michelin, Pirelli
    Semi decent:Falken, Firestone, Toyo
    Avoid: hankook, and the chinese ones.

Look around online. Most of the garages are on commission for most brands, they will offer you whichever brand they earning the most. regardless of quality or any concern of safety.
    I usually decide how much can I afford to spend on tyres, find a decent brand online and shop around for prices.
    If you struggle with the cost, buy the front ones first, as those ones the important ones. then go for the back pair.

Good luck with the bargain hunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭SIRREX

szita2000 wrote: »
    30 euro a tyre.
    I wouldn't put it on. The tyre is the only thing that keeps you firmly on the road.
    Don't mind to have a cheap stereo, or crappy sparkplugs, but don't go for bargain tyres. Mate of mine is a mechanic and he said that some of the cheapo tyres like hancook shouldn't be legal. they are not providing any grip, and I'm not driving like a boyracer.

I've been a mechanic nearly 25 years and I'd strongly agree that the things you never go cheap on are the likes of tyres and brake or suspension components, but your mate is doing Hankook tyres a great disservice, they are one of the brands I would recommend to those who are on a tight budget, because I know they are good quality and are usually avilable at a reasonable price
    Edit: just did some online research and the results in this article would imply the hankooks aren't the best at cornering in the wet! http://www.conti-online.com/generator/www/uk/en/continental/automobile/themes/press_services/hidden/autoexpress-reprint-tyretest-en.pdf
    szita2000 wrote: »
    If you struggle with the cost, buy the front ones first, as those ones the important ones. then go for the back pair

Your off the mark here, while the front tyres should always be in good condition (they do the steering and the majority of the braking, after all), tests, which were shown on top gear, show that your chaces of spinning at 40mph in the wet are greater with the part worn tyres on the rear and brand new on the front, but if you have new tyres on the rear the greater grip prevents the back stepping out.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭JADMIX

I find it interesting that hankook are looked upon as cheap and should be avoided, i was always under the impression that car makers put quality tyres on their brand new cars, missus just got a new VW and it has hankook on them.
    If they are good enough for VW then they must be ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭livEwirE

By mechanic brother in-law swears by this crowd for buying tyres - http://camskill.co.uk/

I seem to remember reading on boards about a guy just off the Walkinstown roundabout in Dublin who was great value for fitting tyres and did a great job. No idea of the name though sorry:(

Check post #20 here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=52430321

Advertisement