Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Martin Cullen and La Dolce Villa

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

Read the gleeson report. All the details are there. Cullen and leech sued rte/newspapers and won because of lies which were printed about them (and rightly so!!). There is only aspect of it the entire episode that I am critical of --the massive waste of taxpayers money hiring a PR consultant whilst we already had civil servants paid to do the same job!!!!

The next time Enda Kenny is in Dungarvan or any part of Waterford City or County, would you have the guts to tell him that, and that what he and his friends in the dail are doing right now taking on special advisors amounts to the same, a total waste of money. If you dont, what you say amounts to taking out through your ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

rasper wrote: »
    imagine a 120k pension and he's 58 , by the time they finished with us they won't be a state pension till you re 75
    ActuAlly funny thAt we r so placid

Would YOU turn down that pension in his position? I suppose you would, kind soul that you are. It's not Cullen's worry or concern that Rasper has a MORAL issue with what he is LEGALLY entitled too under the governmental policy of the time. It's just sheer jealousy and begrudgery.

Regarding a retirement age of 75? It's about time. Those of the human race who aren't on a fastrack to obesity are living much longer and are far more physically and mentally capable at 65+ than ever. This was always going to happen and so it should.

Wow jealOusy and begrudgery is the accusation now if you object to the tax payer being raped, what a country. The dogs on the street know that if the law of the land was applied , half the dail should be serving time , but yeah it's begrudgery

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

Dan133269 wrote: »
    That's the biggest crock of shite I've read in a long time. The man is a disgrace, wasted 52 MILLION euro on electronic voting, then turned around and referred to it as "small change".

The 52 million cost of the machines was only part of that whole sorry affair.

There's also the 'connections' that those awarded contracts to store the machines had.

Bent as a nine bob note.

He typifies the smug, corrupt, self-serving types that got this country into the mess its in, then effed off to live off the proceeds without any chance of ever being held to account for their dodgy dealings.

A.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Are they still in storage? Wonder what the annual rate is.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Darkest Horse

Wow jealOusy and begrudgery is the accusation now if you object to the tax payer being raped, what a country. The dogs on the street know that if the law of the land was applied , half the dail should be serving time , but yeah it's begrudgery

You still didn't answer my question. For the avoidance of doubt: Would you yourself turn down that pension? No matter your answer, I think not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

alinton wrote: »
    The 52 million cost of the machines was only part of that whole sorry affair.

There's also the 'connections' that those awarded contracts to store the machines had.

Bent as a nine bob note.

He typifies the smug, corrupt, self-serving types that got this country into the mess its in, then effed off to live off the proceeds without any chance of ever being held to account for their dodgy dealings.

A.

tumblr_m3nvxiT6xc1qmfih8o2_500.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

You still didn't answer my question. For the avoidance of doubt: Would you yourself turn down that pension? No matter your answer, I think not.

I don't understand your retort , what has that situation got to do with anything
    Is that how we judge right from wrong ,
    Yes if I made the rules well the I think I'm worth 10k a month after fecking up the country in a few short years , bankrupt the state. Enslave generations into emigration and sovereign debt while I live the life of desposed leader of some joke of a banana republic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

saw him legging it across the mall and into his polo a few weeks ago ,no sign of any back troubles ,seems to have ditched the blackthorn stick that cowen used ta baet him with for squandering all those millions.......

I don't understand your retort , what has that situation got to do with anything
    Is that how we judge right from wrong ,
    Yes if I made the rules well the I think I'm worth 10k a month after fecking up the country in a few short years , bankrupt the state. Enslave generations into emigration and sovereign debt while I live the life of desposed leader of some joke of a banana republic

You still didn't answer the question. I'll take it as a no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

hon Martin boy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

The people complaining about Martin Cullen on here need to cop on a small bit. Cullen was good for Waterford (M9, WIT, Bridge etc), he performed reasonably well on national stage too (Plastic bag tax, rolling out massive transport investment) even if the media liked what seemed like picking on him. He retired due to ill-health and went abroad to get treatment for it, when he got away, he probably liked the lack of begrudgery and stayed.

He was unfairly labelled the voting machines fiasco person even though they were brought in by his precessor (dempsey i think). When they were exposed as unsuitable, a govt/cabinet decsion was taken to keep them. Admittedly, this should have been handled better and they should have been scrapped but have you ever seen a govt to back down and admit they were wrong quickly, No!

Cullen was never involved in any planning irregulaties like so many other reps, never implicated in any expenses exposure, never brought disgrace to high office, never blatently horse-traded in the style of Lowry, Jackie H. Rae to the detriment of the rest of the country.

People are more than willing to post their complaints on here, yet they do F-all about it (on a previous thread I asked people if they have contacted anyone in relation to getting something pro-active done...no responses.) If you want to attack a retired politician, there are plenty involved in corruption that you could be writing to the Taoiseach/TDs/EU about
    - Padraig Flynn corruption and expenses on an EU wide level
    - Lowry... corrupt
    - Ahern..corrupt
    - Calleely..expenses
    - Healy rae...politicians and TDs at their near worst
    - Excessive pensions for all
    - Widespread incompetence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

For clarity it is Dolca Vita, Not Villa, but I am getting bored of the ill thought out constant begrudery that boards is, the amount of people who engage their fingers before their brains shocks me at times.
    It is like the first ten minutes of Billy Mc carthy on here betimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 kittymiss

Max Powers wrote: »
    The people complaining about Martin Cullen on here need to cop on a small bit. Cullen was good for Waterford (M9, WIT, Bridge etc), he performed reasonably well on national stage too (Plastic bag tax, rolling out massive transport investment) even if the media liked what seemed like picking on him. He retired due to ill-health and went abroad to get treatment for it, when he got away, he probably liked the lack of begrudgery and stayed.

He was unfairly labelled the voting machines fiasco person even though they were brought in by his precessor (dempsey i think). When they were exposed as unsuitable, a govt/cabinet decsion was taken to keep them. Admittedly, this should have been handled better and they should have been scrapped but have you ever seen a govt to back down and admit they were wrong quickly, No!

Cullen was never involved in any planning irregulaties like so many other reps, never implicated in any expenses exposure, never brought disgrace to high office, never blatently horse-traded in the style of Lowry, Jackie H. Rae to the detriment of the rest of the country.

People are more than willing to post their complaints on here, yet they do F-all about it (on a previous thread I asked people if they have contacted anyone in relation to getting something pro-active done...no responses.) If you want to attack a retired politician, there are plenty involved in corruption that you could be writing to the Taoiseach/TDs/EU about
    - Padraig Flynn corruption and expenses on an EU wide level
    - Lowry... corrupt
    - Ahern..corrupt
    - Calleely..expenses
    - Healy rae...politicians and TDs at their near worst
    - Excessive pensions for all
    - Widespread incompetence

so how is a toll bridge good for anyone ? but the dutch owners who rake in massive subsidies from the state coffers for its under use, plastic bag stealth tax another beauty from the green party, what about plastic bottles tax if they were so worried about plastic waste, mabey time to open the oul eyes.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

kittymiss wrote: »
    so how is a toll bridge good for anyone ? but the dutch owners who rake in massive subsidies from the state coffers for its under use, plastic bag stealth tax another beauty from the green party, what about plastic bottles tax if they were so worried about plastic waste, mabey time to open the oul eyes.....

- we got a fantastic piece of infrastruture that we had been fighting for for 40+ years. Under-utilised for now, same as the M50 back in the day.

- You are ill-informed about subsidies, the state doesnt pay a cent to bridge operators if zero cars use it. Unlike the Limerick tunnel, Navan motorway etc.

- I think 90% of people think the plastic bag tax a fantastic idea, have you forgotten the sights of plastic bags all around the place, stuck in trees and floating around on ground.

- tax on plastic bottles, not a bad idea but i think they can be recycled easily, unlike plastic bags

Maybe time to open the oul eyes/mind

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭THENORTHSIDER

4MWD wrote: »
    Martin Cullen's greatest legacy to us is the M9 motorway which would not be there without him having being a Government minister at the time. For that reason alone he deserves the gratitude of Waterfordians, as for many, many years to come it will be a huge benefit to the whole region.
    I personally thought I'd never see a proper road between Dublin and Waterford in my lifetime and after years of hating driving on what was really just a big dirt track I now love the journey.
    What other TD ever got so much for the Deise? Austin Deasy, with Ardkeen Hospital, is the only other person I know of who EVER delivered anything much for Waterford.

great stuff gonna get my son to walk the road on a daily basis as his access to an SNA is not gauranteed possibly restricting his access to an education. Back slapping politics he got us the road he is a decent one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭banjacksed

Only saw him here a few weeks ago, must of jetted in to town for a couple of days, mind you he was driving a heap of **** outside the mansion, must be trying to blend in with his local people.

The motorway should of being going around the whole country with the money FF squandered.

Ah an us dickheads have to pay the pension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

kittymiss wrote: »
    so how is a toll bridge good for anyone ?

Ehm can you remember the cork road from 3 - 5 pm on a weekday evening pre 2008?

Were you ever trying to get to Dublin or Rosslare ferry from West Waterford back in the day?
    banjacksed wrote: »
    Only saw him here a few weeks ago, must of jetted in to town for a couple of days

Well I doubt he got the ferry from Florida, but if he did jet into town I hope he had the pleasure of coming via Waterford airport and seeing the progress made there since investment was secured back in his time in power and as minister of transport. Not a lot of counties have the option of jetting into their locality.

banjacksed wrote: »
    must be trying to blend in with his local people.

don't think he'd find that hard, I always remember Martin to be very cordial and forthcoming to his constituents... I often met him at GAA matches in Thurles before hand in the pub with the rest of the fans. Did he not go to the WIT? I think he was always happy and proud to be from Waterford and would have felt at ease mixing with the locals... he got a lot of money for local sports clubs in 2003, including the rowing club et al.. we've had no representation since he left and now are just living on the hope of a few scraps of howlin and big phil who are representing the south east but looking after Kilkenny and Wexford

i think people should have a read here.... and think about the amount he did for Waterford, see how the Cork folk speak of him with such hatred because of the good he was doing for Waterfod. Some of ye begrudgers mightn't appreciate it, but I for one did, and anyone who get a forum of langers so upset is a fooking legend in my eyes

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

The Dublin media really have it in for Cullen. Why is it that they seem to try & get at him so often?

God forbid that anybody from Waterford stands up for their city & county.

Why were there no stories about Garret Fitzgerald & his big pension?

The D4 / UCD bias in the media in this country is rediculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭castor 1

comeraghs wrote: »

Because Garret was a Statesman, highly intelligent, good with people, wasn't arrogant and worked hard for the country even after leaving office.

I don't claim to be a grammar nazi but why do the overly critical posts of Martin Cullen seem to be all poorly written, single sentenced, misspelled and devoid of any punctuation? Would a lack of education be a factor in your begrudging attitude towards a man that achieved a lot more than you as well as a lot for you and your city?!

That's not going to go down well here but "shur fcuk ye!"

EDIT: Now where is that ban?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

it really does seem to be a case of "shame on him for not sitting around moping like me" on here.

fair play to him for recovering from his back injury & getting on with life.

The Dublin media really have it in for Cullen. Why is it that they seem to try & get at him so often?

And reading what some people on here have to say, they believe all they read and hear from sections of the Dublin media.

castor 1 wrote: »
    Because Garret was a Statesman, highly intelligent, good with people, wasn't arrogant and worked hard for the country even after leaving office.

He may be highly intelligent in his lifetime but what about all that happened while he was Taoiseach. Hospitals closed right across the country, including Waterford, large places of employment closed, 3 day weeks in some places.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Smiley Burnett

Black Suir wrote: »
    He may be highly intelligent in his lifetime but what about all that happened while he was Taoiseach. Hospitals closed right across the country, including Waterford, large places of employment closed, 3 day weeks in some places.
    What are you raving about?? Garret was taoiseach when Waterford regional hospital was rebuilt and transformed that part of the city!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Smiley Burnett

Replace the word "cullen" with the word "lowry"
    Replace the word "waterford" with the word "tipperary"

Then you will see what is wrong with this country!!!!

What are you raving about?? Garret was taoiseach when Waterford regional hospital was rebuilt and transformed that part of the city!!!!

Was there only ever one hospital in Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Guramoogah

Ardkeen, Waterford County & City Infirmary, Airmount Maternity, St Otterans, Belmont ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

castor 1 wrote: »

Along with being a member of the Bilderberg society....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

we've had no representation since he left and now are just living on the hope of a few scraps of howlin and big phil who are representing the south east but looking after Kilkenny and Wexford

Dont ye have Ciara Conway?

But God help us out here if we have that bogger Hogan fighting for us.More like fighting with us:mad::mad:.Never will vote for that fella again:rolleyes:

actually never did, come to think of it I think:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Ciara Conway represents us on tv3

Advertisement