Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Money back from ticketmaster?

Options
  • 03-06-2012 11:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭

Woke up this morning to discover that my laser card was used last night to book 2 bloody Westlife tickets :mad: My niece and her friend (who are staying at mine for the weekend) have admitted guilt. All the shouting and chastising has been done but I'm wondering now is there any way I can get my money back from ticketmaster?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

Pretty sure you can bring them to an outlet, they'll scan them and resell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

They're the ones you print out yourself :(

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭spoonface

Woke up this morning to discover that my laser card was used last night to book 2 bloody Westlife tickets :mad: My niece and her friend (who are staying at mine for the weekend) have admitted guilt. All the shouting and chastising has been done but I'm wondering now is there any way I can get my money back from ticketmaster?

I think you should look at getting your money back from your niece rather than Ticketmaster. They are responsible for taking your money from you. Ticketmaster is just what they did with the money. You haven't given a lot of details but it sounds like theft and you're owed the money back, but not by Ticketmaster, who have no obligation to you in this matter. Also, their policy is that all sales are final.

spoonface wrote: »
    I think you should look at getting your money back from your niece rather than Ticketmaster. They are responsible for taking your money from you. Ticketmaster is just what they did with the money. You haven't given a lot of details but it sounds like theft and you're owed the money back, but not by Ticketmaster, who have no obligation to you in this matter. Also, their policy is that all sales are final.

My niece is 7 and didn't really realise the implications of what she did. She actually didn't think that the tickets had been booked herself until I found out this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

take the tickets ...sell them on ... will easily get someone to buy them at face value (incl booking fee).

Adverts/toutless etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

If bought online, would the cooling off period apply which can be invoked to get refunded. I am not 100% sure on this so others may be able to comment on this.

My niece is 7 and didn't really realise the implications of what she did. She actually didn't think that the tickets had been booked herself until I found out this morning.

Oh. You might have a chance then since a child can't enter into a legally binding contract, so they cannot have agreed to the no-refunds clause Ticketmaster use. I would ring Ticketmaster and push your luck hard, tell them your card was used by a minor without your permission. If they downright refuse, tell them you will void the transaction on your card if they do not agree to a refund.

Lastly, I would keep your phone and wallet out of the hands of children to avoid situations like this happening. Also, I think a lot of cards can be set up to require a password when being used on the internet, so this would be good to set up also so that it's never used without your permission.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/birth_family_relationships/children_s_rights_and_policy/children_and_rights_in_ireland.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

Just rang ticketmaster but they're closed til Tuesday because of the bank holiday.... Would it be possible to ring my bank and stop
    the payment? I thought that laser cards debit the money instantly :confused:

Just rang ticketmaster but they're closed til Tuesday because of the bank holiday.... Would it be possible to ring my bank and stop
    the payment? I thought that laser cards debit the money instantly :confused:

Re reselling tickets, I think lesson for us all here is that when given a choice, get them posted to you rather than opt to print yourself, then you have something genuine to resell.

With laser card, yes the money is already gone I think. Unless you are going to call it card fraud (and you can expect this to result in your card being cancelled and reissued - do you really need the hassle?), then I don't think you can take this up with your bank. Actually, I think you should have the child's parents pay you back the money the child has cost you and let them worry about what to do with the tickets their child bought with someone else's card. And then it's between the child and their parents and you, the victim here, is out of the situation. Yes, I think the child's parents need to take responsibility for their child's actions.

Lastly, how does a 7-year old in your care have access both to the internet unsupervised (we all know that's a bad idea) and your card?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Just rang ticketmaster but they're closed til Tuesday because of the bank holiday.... Would it be possible to ring my bank and stop the payment?

No, not unless you make a claim that your card was used fraudulently, and that would bring criminal charges against your niece.

As mentioned above, you let a child in your care have both unsupervised access to the Internet and your money. Be thankful that all you've ended up with is two tickets to a Westlife concert, and not something far more serious.

Ticketmaster have no refund policy in place, unless of course you claim fraud in which case a criminal case could result from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

On one level, kudos to your niece - I know many adults who'd struggle to negotiate verification codes, passwords, CVV numbers etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I'd be having a chat with your niece's parents - they should cover the cost of the tickets.

Alternatively, sell the tickets online - you'll probably recoup the cost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

jor el wrote: »
    No, not unless you make a claim that your card was used fraudulently, and that would bring criminal charges against your niece.

Does unauthorised used necessarily mean criminal use?

As mentioned above, you let a child in your care have both unsupervised access to the Internet and your money. Be thankful that all you've ended up with is two tickets to a Westlife concert, and not something far more serious.

Ticketmaster have no refund policy in place, unless of course you claim fraud in which case a criminal case could result from it.

Probably the first port of call is to raise it with the bank. If they cancel payment then that's that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

But the op physically has the tickets, they have been printed out, how can the bank cancel the transaction when the merchandise has already been recieved?

I agree with posts above, child's parents must take responsibility for the cost and selling the tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Midnight Sundance

Can you ask ticket master to send you out the tickets?? Then perhaps you could sell them.

BrianD wrote: »
    Probably the first port of call is to raise it with the bank. If they cancel payment then that's that.

The bank will not reverse a Laser payment except in the case of fraudulent activity. You can't just tell them to reverse it because you don't like it, it doesn't work that way. Any claim of fraud will be investigated by the bank.

From the bank's point of view, they will just tell him to pursue this with Ticketmaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

BrianD wrote: »
    Does unauthorised used necessarily mean criminal use?

The bank won't cancel it, they'll only cancel in the event that it was a fraudulent transaction, not authorised or goods not provided.

Saying a little girl did it is a bit lame IMO. I must try this the next time I want to cancel a Ryanair flight :P

or goods not provided.

Even in the event of goods not provided a Laser transaction won't be reversed by the bank. Laser does not offer a charge back facility for non-receipt of goods or goods not being as described, unlike credit cards and Visa Debit which do. There is no way to reverse this Laser payment outside of a claim for theft.

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭piperh

I'd agree selling them on or getting the girls parents to pay seem the only option unless it was a visa debit card and not laser that was used. Visa Debits now have chargeback facility. Call your bank line on the card and see what they'd suggest.

But i am curious as to how she managed to input all the details and the varification code that ticketmaster require to ensure its not a spam request, her reading ability must be way higher than most 7yr olds and I.Q even higher.

• Advertisement

piperh wrote: »
    I'd agree selling them on or getting the girls parents to pay seem the only option unless it was a visa debit card and not laser that was used. Visa Debits now have chargeback facility. Call your bank line on the card and see what they'd suggest.

No, the charge back facility is of no use in this case.

Otherwise you could ring up for anything and say your kid did it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

Why should the child's parents have to pay for the tickets? The child was in the op's care and managed to access both the Internet and the laser card while unsupervised. Surely the op should take responsibilty here?!?

Selling the tickets is probably the only way to go, I can't see ticketmaster refunding you for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

nibtrix wrote: »
    Why should the child's parents have to pay for the tickets? .

The child effectively stole from her aunt. If my kids stole or broke something belonging to someone else, I believe it would be my responsibility to compensate the owner, when they are 18, they have to stand on their own two legs.

And I do not think it would ever enter any of our heads that a 7 year old would do such a thing so I would not think it essential to hide my cards and my laptop every time my nieces and nephews stay with us.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

nibtrix wrote: »
    Why should the child's parents have to pay for the tickets? The child was in the op's care and managed to access both the Internet and the laser card while unsupervised. Surely the op should take responsibilty here?!?

Selling the tickets is probably the only way to go, I can't see ticketmaster refunding you for them.

If the kid broke a window with a ball would you expect the OP to also pay for the window?

The kids parents have a responsibility here to, yes the op does as well but without a doubt the op should not be stuck with 100% of the bill.

Cabaal wrote: »
    If the kid broke a window with a ball would you expect the OP to also pay for the window?

The kids parents have a responsibility here to, yes the op does as well but without a doubt the op should not be stuck with 100% of the bill.

A better example would be if the kid found an improperly secured gun belonged to the op and shot someone with it ..

Would it be the ops fault for not securing the gun correctly or the kids parents fault ?

The OP was in charge of the Child. Definitely the kids parents should pay for the tickets but the OP was silly to leave their CC and open Internet available to a young child in the first place.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

A better example would be if the kid found an improperly secured gun belonged to the op and shot someone with it ..

Would it be the ops fault for not securing the gun correctly or the kids parents fault ?

Oh come on,

Your comparing the internet to a loaded gun...did you work for the mpaa or riaa by any chance?

They seem to be the only other one's that make such nonsense comparisons.
    :rolleyes:
    The OP was in charge of the Child. Definitely the kids parents should pay for the tickets but the OP was silly to leave their CC and open Internet available to a young child in the first place.

Parents have atleast some of the responsibility here, it is a parents job to instill morals in their kids.

Clearly this kid doesn't understand the difference between right and wrong and stealing.

If they are old enough to understand how to order online with a credit card or debit card and they are old enough to understand how it works they sure as hell are old enough to understand that using it without permission is wrong and spending money that isn't your is wrong and is stealing.

Very simple, the op most certainly should not have 100% responsibility in this instance because the kid wasn't brought up properly by the parents, yes the internet perhaps should have been limited but that doesn't in anyway forgive the stealing.

Cabaal wrote: »
    Oh come on,

Your comparing the internet to a loaded gun...did you work for the mpaa or riaa by any chance?

They seem to be the only other one's that make such nonsense comparisons.
    :rolleyes:

Exactly, a kid would know breaking a window is wrong, its why i'm making an extreme comparison.

The Internet is a dangerous, uncontrolled place. I wouldn't let my kids use it unsupervised.
    Parents have atleast some of the responsibility here, it is a parents job to instill morals in their kids.

Clearly this kid doesn't understand the difference between right and wrong and stealing.

If they are old enough to understand how to order online with a credit card or debit card and they are old enough to understand how it works they sure as hell are old enough to understand that using it without permission is wrong and spending money that isn't your is wrong and is stealing.

Very simple, the op most certainly should not have 100% responsibility in this instance because the kid wasn't brought up properly by the parents, yes the internet perhaps should have been limited but that doesn't in anyway forgive the stealing.

I know some grown adults that don't really know theres consequences to using a Credit card, hence why people end up in debt.

Expecting a young child to know this is just silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The Internet is a dangerous, uncontrolled place. I wouldn't let my kids use it unsupervised.

No matter how well you supervise kids, some of them will always find a way. It's the glory of children.

Anyway - let's park the "kids on the internet" argument, and focus on ways through which the OP can recoup her money.

dudara wrote: »
    No matter how well you supervise kids, some of them will always find a way. It's the glory of children.

Anyway - let's park the "kids on the internet" argument, and focus on ways through which the OP can recoup her money.

Well its clear that the OP can't initiate a chargeback as the transaction was not fraudulent and the goods were supplied.

Their card was not stolen and the transaction was authorised as far as the supplier is concerned.

eBay or some other Ticket reselling site would be the best bet.

• Advertisement
Advertisement