Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Minister James Reilly's gaf.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Not a bad little shack for a humble doctor.
    How is he going to cope with all the new charges, the poor mite!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Taco Corp

now I've seen it, so what?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

I read somewhere he's up to his bollox in property and no doubt, debt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I reckon this thread will show a lot of people up for what they are - begrudgers.

So what if he is rich and has a mansion.

Good luck to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

So what?

Is this 1920's Ireland when the bitter locals went around burning the great houses to settle scores?

The man has a fantastic house, good for him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I reckon this thread will show a lot of people up for what they are - begrudgers.

Good luck to him.

but it not fairrrr!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Bono once said, There's a rich man with a big house up on the hill. Other nationalities drive by and say "OMG, I want to be just like that man". We Irish are dufferent, we drive by and say "some day I'm gonna get that bastard". Very true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭flutered

it puts mine in the three and four pence catagory, (which it is anyway).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭PC CDROM

Having grants or tax relief on those types of house is OK in my opinion.

OK so it is mostly going to be wealthy people who own them but that does not mean to say they always have money coming out their ears and those types of house take A LOT of work to stop them degenerating.

I have seen one of those types of house go from a lived in premises to a death trap in 15 years after it was left neglected. Recently one of the chimneys collapsed and fell in through the roof.

:/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

Good luck to him.

No problem with people getting rich, its when peeps make their fortune ENTIRELY through being the recipient of taxpayers cash, as is the case with O'Reilly, thats when I get annoyed.

FYI, before joining the politician gravy train, O'Reillys previous claim to fame was, as head of the IMO, negotiating a sweet heart deal for Consultants with the gov of the day which made them all even richer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I think the issue that people have with this story is that he avails of tax-breaks and subsidies in order to maintain the property even though they hire it out to people for weddings etc, which itself generates a healthy income.

He's not breaking any laws or rules, but on principle alone he probably shouldn't be availing of public funds for such things at a time when hospitals are being closed down etc. He's not short a few quid, and the money he receives for the upkeep of that particular house of his would be of more use elsewhere.

I think the issue that people have with this story is that he avails of tax-breaks and subsidies in order to maintain the property even though they hire it out to people for weddings etc, which itself generates a healthy income.

He's not breaking any laws or rules, but on principle alone he probably shouldn't be availing of public funds for such things at a time when hospitals are being closed down etc. He's not short a few quid, and the money he receives for the upkeep of that particular house of his would be of more use elsewhere.

Aye - but those patting the mans back, don't want to hear that.

No problem with people getting rich, its when peeps make their fortune ENTIRELY through being the recipient of taxpayers cash, as is the case with O'Reilly, thats when I get annoyed.

FYI, before joining the politician gravy train, O'Reillys previous claim to fame was, as head of the IMO, negotiating a sweet heart deal for Consultants with the gov of the day which made them all even richer.

Everything you have mentioned above is totally legal. He must be a good negotiator and businessman so.

Feckin Dubs coming down here and buying our property

The only way to get even is move to Dublin and steal their jobs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Varied

It's amazing.

I would never have thought that government mansion owners would lead with such great example by taking advantage of his own laws.

Bono references and the word begrudgery? Check

Biggins wrote: »
    Aye - but those patting the mans back, don't want to hear that.

Yeah, well people are fcuking idiots after all. The same people that spew out words like 'begrudgery' and 'jealousy' in relation to this story, are the same ones that will in some other thread; suggest that Bertie & Cowen should have their pensions stopped. Bunch of hypocritical arseholes.

If he's entitled to claim the money, then why not. If me or you were entitled to more money from our employer, we'd take it, wouldn't we.

That's the system, if he's entitled to it, then he's entitled to it whether he's rich or not.

I agree that the money could be used better elsewhere but "thems the rules" as they say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

Everything you have mentioned above is totally legal. He must be a good negotiator and businessman so.

Yes its whats the Irish professions have always excelled at, world class if you will - bleeding the public purse for everything they can. And all within the law of course.

Even the mighty IMF/Troika appear to be having difficulty in tackling this priviliged lot.

FF did the same - only then we called it "Helping to to line their own pockets while not bothering to look after the poor paid workers of the country".

Amazing how times change!
    Sadly some levels of timely blindness don't though!

Michael O'Leary is in the same scheme

He gets tax breaks and in return he must open the house to visitors for a certain period of the year

Well he was in it at one stage, maybe he's so rich now he would opt out

Gigginstown House, Westmeath

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

Sickens me that we are constantly hearing we are living beyond our means and we are gonna have to tighten the belt, while these assholes are claiming every cent they can on top of an already extremely generous wage for the upkeep of a mansion which is also an asset and business by the looks of it.

Yeah, well people are fcuking idiots after all. The same people that spew out words like 'begrudgery' and 'jealousy' in relation to this story, are the same ones that will in some other thread; suggest that Bertie & Cowen should have their pensions stopped. Bunch of hypocritical arseholes.

Maybe they should sign here: http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/3559/18288439960559342510912.jpg

If he's entitled to claim the money, then why not. If me or you were entitled to more money from our employer, we'd take it, wouldn't we.

That's the system, if he's entitled to it, then he's entitled to it whether he's rich or not.

I agree that the money could be used better elsewhere but "thems the rules" as they say.

Being entitled to something doesn't mean that people are exempt from criticism for receiving it. Especially when they don't necessarily need or deserve it. I guess the Irish sense of entitlement transcends class boundaries.

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Michael O'Leary is in the same scheme

He gets tax breaks and in return he must open the house to visitors for a certain period of the year

Well he was in it at one stage, maybe he's so rich now he would opt out

Gigginstown House, Westmeath

Yep, that's the same as a government minister, who is supposed to lead by example, regularly tells people to pay their taxes "or else" and has a fat pension and wage to live on. Yea that's the same as an astute business man, who creates jobs.

Varied wrote: »
    Yep, that's the same as a government minister, who is supposed to lead by example, regularly tells people to pay their taxes "or else" and has a fat pension and wage to live on. Yea that's the same as an astute business man, who creates jobs.

I'm not here giving a political commentary, this is AH and not politics forum

Saw a scheme, gave another example
    There's probably a few in your county too

mikemac1 wrote: »
    I'm not here giving a political commentary, this is AH and not politics forum

Saw a scheme, gave another example
    There's probably a few in your county too

You're the one that brought Michael o'leary into it.

Also if you're not in AH to give political commentary, why click on a thread about a politician? Oh the humanityz!!1

High profile person, that's all

Jeremy Irons has a mansion in Cork and in this too

Just giving a few examples of the scheme, that's all

I'm not doing a compare and contrast with politicians and others

Varied wrote: »

An astute businessman is in business to make money for himself, not to create jobs. If he needs to create jobs along the way to getting rich, then this is incidental.

All I'm saying is that u can be an astute businessman without creating any jobs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

I think it speaks volumes that James Reilly sits in a cabinet that did not have the ability or inclination to introduce an equitable property charge and instead went ahead with the introduction of a charge which sees minister Reilly pay the same flat 100 euro for his country pile as the person in a one bed shoe box apartment.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Advertisement

Yes its whats the Irish professions have always excelled at, world class if you will - bleeding the public purse for everything they can. And all within the law of course.

Even the mighty IMF/Troika appear to be having difficulty in tackling this priviliged lot.

have you not heard of the saying the poor always have to pay.

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    I think it speaks volumes that James Reilly sits in a cabinet that did not have the ability or inclination to introduce an equitable property charge and instead went ahead with the introduction of a charge which sees minister Reilly pay the same flat 100 euro for his country pile as the person in a one bed shoe box apartment.

just goes to show how much of an ejeet the shoe box owner is/was.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Bono once said, There's a rich man with a big house up on the hill. Other nationalities drive by and say "OMG, I want to be just like that man". We Irish are dufferent, we drive by and say "some day I'm gonna get that bastard". Very true

Watching Oprah, were we?

Just a quick thought but is the minister supposed to pay commercial rates on the premesis instead of the €100 property charge? Seeing as he is carrying out a business there n'all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Battered Mars Bar

"Aight we got the 22's, check this sheeee' out...this sheeee' be fine classical work y'all, we got the pediments, we got the uh entablatures, we's ain't havin' no bungalow bliss I'm talkin' late 18th Century decor, that sheeee' will blo yo mind."

James Reilly*

*May not actually be Minister James Reilly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Did anyone else think the thread title referred to a political gaffe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Fair play to him if he worked hard for it I say! I have no time for these Be Dunne types though who inherited a position in life.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

It's not just the irish that hate bono though! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Bono got it wrong, the irish are different because we say "maybe the little bollix should start paying some fkin tax"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

The flat rate aonly applies this year because to introduce a progressive property tax would have been too problematic to achieve in such a short space of time. Next year, charges will be levied based on the value of the house or some such, and no doubt Reilly et al will be hit with higher charges. So your charge doesn;t really have much validity.

Over the years, too many "Big Houses" have been allowed fall into ruin because the cost of maintaining them can be astronomical. We're talking of paying tens of thousands a year in some instances just to keep these old houses in good condition. I don't want to see any more such houses fall into decay and decline, and so I have no problem with O'Reilly claiming some of the tax reliefs available in order to cover some of the costs of maintaining this historic building.

Also: don't really get the point of this thread. Man earns good money, and buys himself nice house. Then legitimately avails of the available tax reliefs in order to keep said house in good nick. Where's the problem exactly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Fair play to him if he worked hard for it I say! I have no time for these Be Dunne types though who inherited a position in life.

Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

steddyeddy wrote: »
    I'm sure Ben Dunne is very concerned at your consternation,he must be crying into his handkerchief, made entirely of 50 euro notes.

Quite honestly, I don't see why it needs to be any of your concern whether someone owns property or assets via inheritence or personal gain. What difference does it make to your life?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

That's his weekend gaff! He doesn't struggle for a place to rest his head.

James Reilly 2011 Register of Members Interests
    1) ½ acre Cock Hill, Stamullen, Co. Meath: site;
    (2) Derelict ruin on ¼ acre, Balrothery, Co. Dublin: site - derelict - no planning permission; (3) Commercial building, Lusk Town Centre, Lusk: comprising surgery, treatment rooms, consulting rooms, offices, pharmacy, supermarket, bookmakers, barbers, unoccupied restaurant, 1 apartment & 3 sites for town houses & vacant floor: leased to tenants; (4) Former family farm: Baldrummond, Lusk, Co. Dublin, 86 acres: let for tillage; (5) Holiday home: Doonbeg: No. 32 The Courtyard: investment; (6) House: Seafoam, Rush, Co. Dublin on .7 acre: residence; (7) Green Hills Nursing Home, Carrick on Suir, Tipperary: ¼ share: care of the elderly: interest transferred to blind trust as per SIPO advice; (8) Commercial site on one third share of 1.3 acres at Nevinstown, Swords, Co. Dublin: commercial site undeveloped; (9) Land at Loughton, Moneygall, Co. Offaly: 150 acres: farming & woodland: 100 acres let for grazing; (10) Golf club membership at Doonbeg GC., Co. Clare: golf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

cock hill, lol.

joke's on him.

Is there any evidence that the hiring out of the house provides a "healthy income" rather than it just being a way to hold onto the house? Unless someone can provide evidence of that and it not being a way to pay the bills I don't see the point of this thread.
    Also if people agree with the tax breaks to keep such houses occupied but don't like this then where should the limit be? Earn over 40k per year and you don't get it? Also what are the details of the tax breaks?

Einhard wrote: »
    I don't want to see any more such houses fall into decay and decline, and so I have no problem with O'Reilly claiming some of the tax reliefs available in order to cover some of the costs of maintaining this historic building.

Also: don't really get the point of this thread. Man earns good money, and buys himself nice house. Then legitimately avails of the available tax reliefs in order to keep said house in good nick. Where's the problem exactly?

I was just giving my opinion on it. You're entitled to your own. My view is that just because somebody is entitled to something, be it tax-reliefs to upkeep a stately home, or certain types of social welfare, it doesn't mean that they are obliged to avail of it, and if they're in a position financially to do without it then in principle they should waive whatever entitlement it is.

When's the last time any government minister showed a degree of principle though?.. that's way too much to ask or expect of our lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Is there any evidence that the hiring out of the house provides a "healthy income" rather than it just being a way to hold onto the house? Unless someone can provide evidence of that and it not being a way to pay the bills I don't see the point of this thread.
    The point of the thread is to have an easy pop at James Reilly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Pantsface

What a fabulous home!!! Fair balls to him

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

imagine the property tax valuation on that(when valuation comes in after the property tax) i cant even imagine must be like a thousand a year for that place :eek:

ps: just to let you know we never paid the property tax and people of ireland should not pay it if enough protest by not paying we could win i think dont give in and dont be complacent

dvpower wrote: »
    The point of the thread is to have an easy pop at James Reilly.

You'd be here fighting his or any other FG'ers corner regardless of what the thread was about.

Shur they can do no wrong in your, and a few other poster's eyes. Just the same as how FF could do no wrong in the eyes of their blinkered supporters.

• Advertisement
Advertisement