Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sun Survival for skin!

• 03-06-2012 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

Hello everyone,

Just wondering can anyone give me any advice here.. I am travelling in a few weeks, and I am very pale skinned/ freckly. I genuinely am concerned that my skin wont be able to take the sun at all, and I am wondering are their any supplements I can take that would boost my skins defence against the sun, or ability to take it. I have heard of taking natural beta carotene tablets, has anyone ever tried these and do they work? Or else recommend a REALLY good suncream that is not sticky and uncomfortable?

Thanks in advance.
    Shimmery

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

shimmery wrote: »
    Hello everyone,

Just wondering can anyone give me any advice here.. I am travelling in a few weeks, and I am very pale skinned/ freckly. I genuinely am concerned that my skin wont be able to take the sun at all, and I am wondering are their any supplements I can take that would boost my skins defence against the sun, or ability to take it. I have heard of taking natural beta carotene tablets, has anyone ever tried these and do they work? Or else recommend a REALLY good suncream that is not sticky and uncomfortable?

Thanks in advance.
    Shimmery

I love Vichy SPF50 Matte fluid which dries really quickly on to your skin. You're meant to reapply often so get something like Avene's new spf50 stick which you can just layer over your makeup as the day goes on! It's small so won't take up any real space if you're carrying it around all day!

l.jpg

Vichy-Capital-soleil-sun-cream-face--50ml.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,771 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

SmokeyEyes wrote: »
    I love Vichy SPF50 Matte fluid which dries really quickly on to your skin. You're meant to reapply often so get something like Avene's new spf50 stick which you can just layer over your makeup as the day goes on! It's small so won't take up any real space if you're carrying it around all day!

I absolutely do not recommend wearing make-up in a hot hot climate, it can clog your pores and lead to lots of zits and outbreaks.

I would recommend something like P20 - once a day application. Loose tee shirts and wide-brimmed hat, sunglasses etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

I use La Roche Posay Anthelios XL and I love it! It's for skin that is highly intolerant to the sun. I started using it a couple of years ago while I was on antibiotics for my acne, because they made my skin super sensitive to the sun. I wear it under my make-up, on my neck and on my decolletage, but you could certainly wear it all over your body. It's factor 50, and a little goes a long way.:)

It comes in a few different forms, I use the cream and it definitely doesn't feel sticky and yuck.:P

anthelios-range-exclud-kids1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,563 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

+1 for la Roche Posay. I sail a lot, and use the Fluide Extreme (sp?) always for my face and arms. They even have a tinted version which means you don't go around looking like a ghost all the time.

Would be expensive to use all over your body, though - as someone said in an earlier post, clothes are the best protection for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Sultan Once from Boots only needs to applied every 8 hours and it realyl works! I buy the kids on in factor 50+ and have yet to get a colour (I detest my skin when it is tanned). I use it on my body and face (but I have super dry skin so I don't know how oily skin would fare with it). Not particularly expensive and quite a few Boots stores are having a sale on it at the moment so you could prob get is really cheap. If you are prone to burning badly, light clothes are your best friend - covering up is the best way to protect your skin from then sun so, for you, it may be down to putting as little on display as possible.

On supplements - the only ones I can think of are "hair, skin and nails" ones that you can get from pharmacies. My sister swears by them for keeping her skin looking nice and nails strong but I haven't used them myself.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

loreal sun spf 50 you can get 60 aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

Apply every 2 hours.

Advertisement