Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

12 Month J1 Visa

Options
  • 03-06-2012 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hey Folks,

Im a 22 year old lad and Im looking to go on the 12 month J1 visa. I graduated in October 2011 so I think I have until this October to do it. I have already been on two summer J1's and Im just mad to go back.

All of my friends who I went with before dont want to go on the 12 month visa as they are either still in college, dont have the money, or have emigrated to oz/canada.

I was just wondering if there are any others out there thinking of doing it? I dont really have a particular place in mind. I just dont see myself going on my own.

If anyone else out there is in the same boat as me, or is going on the 12 month visa, then id love to hear from ye.

Joe

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Grabber

When ya thinkin of goin Joe???
    i take it you would be applying for the 1 year working holiday visa(417)??

• Registered Users Posts: 4 chuckie25889

I dont really have anywhere in particular. I was looking at Boston, New York, San Diego or San Fran.

Ya im looking to go on the 1 year long visa.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Padington

Hey lads,
    I'm in the same boat. I'm hoping to go across sometime in September. I'm starting to look now at where I might head for. It would be great alright to have someone you kind of know over there. If either of ye progress ye're plans drop me a pm.
    Padington
    22, Engineer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 osullc18

i'm planning doing a usit 12 month j1 visa in New York. Realistically I will probably end up working in a bar or restaurant as opposed to doing an internship related to my degree as this will be very difficult to find. I'm planning to do a masters in the staes the next year and was wondering what will happen if i apply for another visa and the U.S. government, USIT or CIEE realise i'm working in a job not related to my visa. Can anyone clarify this for me please?

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭sleepyescapade

osullc18 wrote: »
    I'm planning to do a masters in the staes the next year and was wondering what will happen if i apply for another visa and the U.S. government, USIT or CIEE realise i'm working in a job not related to my visa. Can anyone clarify this for me please?

You will be sent home and it may complicate things for you in the future if you're looking to come back. The job has to be related to your degree. Many of the sponsors only give you 90 days to find a job in your field - if you cannot find work you will have to return home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭The_Poznan

By Chuckie...

Im in the same boat! Im 30 yrs young and planning to head state-side round Oct. Will be finished my masters next month. Want to go to Texas but its like anything if i get a job related to my qualification id move anywhere in the US. Unfortunately it wont be easy get a job over so ive started tailoring my CV started researching. Whats your plan you hoping to get sponsored etc?
    Hey Folks,

Im a 22 year old lad and Im looking to go on the 12 month J1 visa. I graduated in October 2011 so I think I have until this October to do it. I have already been on two summer J1's and Im just mad to go back.

All of my friends who I went with before dont want to go on the 12 month visa as they are either still in college, dont have the money, or have emigrated to oz/canada.

I was just wondering if there are any others out there thinking of doing it? I dont really have a particular place in mind. I just dont see myself going on my own.

If anyone else out there is in the same boat as me, or is going on the 12 month visa, then id love to hear from ye.

Joe

• Registered Users Posts: 16 osullm36

Yep I'm heading over to New York in Oct for the 12 month visa, just got my visa approved this week and went through the IIC center in Boston instead of USIT for my visa application.

All starting to feel real now, just need to book my flights :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

You will be sent home and it may complicate things for you in the future if you're looking to come back. The job has to be related to your degree. Many of the sponsors only give you 90 days to find a job in your field - if you cannot find work you will have to return home.

After 90 days they look for proof of funds or a letter of financial support from a parent.

You could work in a restaurant but if CIEE get wind of it, then you will be sent home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Nolan1977

Hey I've just applied for my 1 year visa hoping to head to New York at beginning of October, would be class to know some other Irish heading over, I'm 22 just finished degree at trinity, any others definitely heading to new york over the next few months? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭LuckyCharms

Hey lads,

Hope the job search is going well. Just finished my masters last year, graduated in December.

I am planning on heading over end of September.Will be working in Miami most likely.

If anyone is planning on something similar, hit me up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭The_Poznan

good stuff Luckycharms

still nothing defo had a skype interview last wk so fingers crossed! Anyone ye guys gota job lined up before ye over or is that next to impossible? be sweet to have something lined up before heading out!
    Hey lads,

Hope the job search is going well. Just finished my masters last year, graduated in December.

I am planning on heading over end of September.Will be working in Miami most likely.

If anyone is planning on something similar, hit me up.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Monkey09

Hey everyone!
    Hope your plans to go to the US and your searches for jobs are going well!

I'm also in the same boat as all of you. Just finished my degree and I've decided to do the 12 month programme in the US. I plan to arrive in New York at the end of December so I'll be there for New Year!! I'm really excited but pretty nervous too as I'll be going on my own - It'd be nice to get to know some other Irish people. :)

Advertisement