Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2012 Noctilucent cloud watch

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

Martin McKenna spotted them on 1st/2nd June as well in Maghera!

Hopefully going to see them myself tonight :D

255311_3661124920055_1908799138_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭muckish

Seen in Donegal last night around 1.30am
    7333912468_e175a5638d.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭lolie

Nice Noctilucent clouds out tonight in the northern skyline. Worth going out for a look. Impressive:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

lolie wrote: »
    Nice Noctilucent clouds out tonight in the northern skyline. Worth going out for a look. Impressive:)

Very nice indeed and my first proper glimpse of these beautiful clouds after many attempts:)..Took a few pics with my iphone but the photos don't do them justice so if any of ye guys with decent cameras are about get snapping:D

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭jfSDAS

hi all,

I've a slightly longer post on last night's NLC display over on the Astronomy sub-forum -- didn't want to cross-post.

I observed the NLC display near Ashbourne but first noticed part of the display from home in Terenure after having frequently checked the new AIM image feature on www.spaceweather.com during Thursday evening -- it's the little graphic below the solar data on the left side of the SW home page. The graphic is based on near-realtime data from the AIM satellite that is studying Polar Mesospheric Clouds.

An excellent primer on NLCs is Martin McKenna's article at www.nightskyhunter.com/Noctilucent%20Clouds.html

Paul Evans in Larne took some pics last night and they are posted at spaceweather.com/gallery/indiv_upload.php?upload_id=82641

There's more photos from different observers on the general SW gallery at spaceweather.com/gallery/index.php

Clear skies!

John

P.S., not sure if you saw the halo display videoed by Dan Lynch over on the Boards.ie Astronomy sub-forum? He captured the parhelic circle and 120-degree parhelio which I haven't heard many reports of having been seen from Ireland over the years. I missed his call to alert me to the halo complex that afternoon but did later spot part of the 46-degree halo, circumzenithal arc, upper-tangent arc, circumscribing halo, 22-degree halo, and sundogs.

• Advertisement

It was one of the best displays i've seen over the last few years, bodes well for the next few weeks.
    Only wish i had a better camera, the displayed dimmed before i got the camera out.

256305.JPG

256306.jpg

Another nice display of them this morn in the early am, not just as bright but higher up in the sky.
    257094.JPG

257095.JPG

About to head in when i spotted this fella behind the bushes.
    257096.JPG

Also there's 4 visible passes of the ISS tonight at 10.45, 00.20, 01.57 and 03.33 if anyone is outside:)

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭muckish

NLC display from early morning ~2.45am in Letterkenny County Donegal, June 5th.

8962269821_81a4417deb.jpg

Another nice display of them out now for anyone interested:)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

lolie wrote: »
    Another nice display of them out now for anyone interested:)

Is there some sort of connection between Noctilucent Clouds and people being more tired than normal ? the couple of nights they have been on so far, I have been wrecked and in bed by 11 :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

just before midnight, i saw these creep out

8990171073_10ac75392c_z.jpg
    noctilucent clouds by jbredrebel, on Flickr

8991367580_31231ac8c3_z.jpg
    noctilucent clouds by jbredrebel, on Flickr

i'm glad i saw them too. not a hope of me getting out of bed at 2am to have a look :p
    now i can sleep :D

just before midnight, i saw these creep out

i'm glad i saw them too. not a hope of me getting out of bed at 2am to have a look :p
    now i can sleep :D

Nice. Im up letting the dog out and no sign of anything :)

finally got to see them. cool things altogether ;)

Fantastic display last night!

qjVbs4Ch.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

Is that NLCS covering the Northern Sky atm?

Yeah, almost over head in Derry, going to ****ing EPIC when the sky gets darker. Get out and get photos.

Saw them around 11 north west of Athlone, looked incredible but they disappeared fairly shortly afterwards...

hope some of you guys got some good pics :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Advertisement