Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E-careers.com Web Design Training Package

Options
  • 03-06-2012 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭

Hey all, hope I'm putting this in the correct forum, but have recently been looking for a distance learning/online course to start over the summer (I will be going into my final year of college next year, and want to have a broad-ish range of skills). I've been looking at IT related courses (basically to consolidate the skills and knowledge I've picked up myself over the years into a piece of paper/certification so I can show my skill-set to employers.)

I stumbled across this earlier today on groupon:
    http://www.groupon.ie/deals/dublin-special/e-Careers/6329755

And it seems like a really good deal, I was wondering if anyone has had an dealings with e-careers.com before, or have in fact bought this package? I'm wondering how good this would look on a CV or something, as you get a certificate of completion at the end, in comparison to doing an IT related diploma through somewhere like CMIT?
    Any help would be appreciated, this deal expires in 2 days and don't want to "panic buy" it now, to find out later it was a bad choice.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

This offer was posted on boards recently though I can't find the thread. Usual mix of opinions from go for it, it's good value, to head to somewhere like lynda.com or w3schools.com.

Personally I prefer people who self-teach first (highly employable if with good experience), then people who do these kinds of short courses (somewhat employable depending on experience and talent from outside the course) and people who need long classroom courses are last (generally get their CV binned unless something extraordinary stands out).

The cert isn't that important as it's not quite comparable to something like Fetac which provides a better indication of the quality level of the outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭delta36

Thanks for the reply Tricky, looking over the course material now, I think I will purchase it, regardless of the certification at the end, quite a lot of it the courses are areas/topics I wish I had more skill in, so I think it'll be personally beneficial at any rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 my127dot1

i purchased a week ago the same package through groupon, the first thing i thought- it is very good value for that much topics covered, so either way , you cant go wrong even if you do only half of the offered subjects..

Once started the training, I will try to post some comments on this, and hope others who availed of this training will too, so we can share our experiences and opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 yesiambored

my127dot1 wrote: »
    i purchased a week ago the same package through groupon, the first thing i thought- it is very good value for that much topics covered, so either way , you cant go wrong even if you do only half of the offered subjects..

Once started the training, I will try to post some comments on this, and hope others who availed of this training will too, so we can share our experiences and opinions.

Please let us know how you are getting on as i am very interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭clansman

my127dot1 wrote: »

How did you get on with the course?

• Advertisement

hi, was away for 2 months almost, now back ans started to look whatts in it.

The structure is a bit messy, but if you know what you want to learn, eg javascript it is ok, it`s defo worth 100 bucks.
    (its not as entertaining as some other online courses i have done, could even say it is a little "boring"). Otherwisae id say , go for it, it is worth it!

Will post some update later when dig deeper in it. ;)

oh, yeagh, forgot to add - it solely for self-education, no dimplomas given upon completion, they send you an acknowledgement of the completion as sort of confirmation that is has been completed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jimbojo

I am currently doing this course. It seems to be over 10 years old. Not sure if its all going to be this out-dated.

Advertisement