Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

irishreferenda.com

Options
  • 03-06-2012 1:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Just finished my latest attempt, http://www.irishreferenda.com

Yes, it's another Twitter Bootstrap jobbie I'm afraid! The functionality on the front-end is pretty basic really, especially because I've only got data for 1 referendum at the moment. I spent most of the time building a pretty cool back-end interface though, with cool AJAX, etc. Unfortunately ye can't review that :p

Anywho, here's my spiel from the About page about what the site does
    IrishReferenda.com was created as a resource for the Irish electorate to consult during referenda on constitutional amendments.

For some members of the public, the prospect of enduring several weeks of campaigning and debates on arcane international treaties is not too appealing! Other are happy to engage with the debate, but may have specific concerns or ideological inclinations which inform their position. It may be helpful therefore to have a simple resource such as this, which shows which side of the debate the major political parties, industry representative groups, lobbyists and trade unions are on.

Throughout referendum campaigns in Ireland, as the various advocates declare their support for either side of the debate, we will update the database to reflect this, and provide a link to support this.

Any thoughts appreciated!

D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Cool. WOuld be great to integrate that into your previous site some how.

Rather than red/green alone, labelling for/against might be helpful instead of colours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Yeah you're probably right. I'm open to any suggestions on how to present the information. I just wanna keep it as simple as possible I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

Dave,

would be really cool to have more filters, where you could show only political parties or only pressure/lobby groups. Show groups by size of membership.

Or bringing in past treaties, you could have filters per treaty & per other issue— e.g. show groups that supported Maastricht but were against Lisbon II, etc.

For more JS glitz, isotope is a nice plugin for this type of dynamic filtering too btw, :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Cheers! Yeah I'm actually planning on adding those :) Just wanted to get the basic site up for now

And yeah I was looking around for the filtering stuff, and isotope is exactly the one I figured I'd go for :D

Advertisement