Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help - Broken Window Lock

• 03-06-2012 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭

The lock on one of my uPvc windows has stopped working. The handle turns but doesnt engage the lock itself. When I take the handle off the window, it looks fine which makes me think the lock iteself is broken. The locking mechanism seems very loose which suggests that the spindle on the lock may have broken away from the bar. I believe the type is espagnolette and I have attached an image of the part I believe has brokwn away.

I have replaced these a couple of times over the years but the window has always been open which makes it very easy. In this case, the window is locked, so I cant get at the screws holding the lock in to remove and then replace it.

Would anyone be able to tell me how to get the window open so I can replace the broken lock?

Cheers
    Whitey

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭woodturner

Where abouts are you from? People on Boards never fill in all their details and someone that may be across the road from you may be able to help and could be a member here too. I am near Tullamore. My Uncle used to work in a joinery and has fixed many broken pvc door locks and window locks.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭whiteboard

Good point WoodTurner - I am in Lucan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

You could try a large screwdriver or a long necked pliers , and you may get lucky

Advertisement