Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Product and quotient rule clarification

• 03-06-2012 3:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭

For proving the product and quotient rules, is it acceptable to prove them implicity (eg. For product rule let y=uv) or must you prove them by first principles

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭DepoProvera

My teacher says that the combined implicit and logarithmic proof is valid, which is sweet because it's a rather short proof and doesn't require learning off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85 ✭✭treely

My teacher says that the combined implicit and logarithmic proof is valid, which is sweet because it's a rather short proof and doesn't require learning off.

Which one is that now?

And where would these come up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

My teacher said you almost have to prove it by first principles, as that's what they come up in on the paper...

EG. 2000

Prove, from first principles, the product rule

Prove, from first principles, the addition rule

If you don't do it by first principles you'll get 0marks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85 ✭✭treely

What are the chances of one of these coming up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

treely wrote: »
    What are the chances of one of these coming up?

I hope one will!!

Likely enough I think. Quotient rule would be a beaut! (just because it's hard and I can do it :P ) but apparently it is supposedly too hard for the exam...

Possibly product again?

More likely that the differential rule by induction will arise

• Advertisement
Advertisement