Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Martin Cullen living the high life in Florida at our expense

• 03-06-2012 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2153931/Cullens-life-luxury--taxes-Minister-e-voting-quit-2010-bad--120k-pension-Now-new-Jag-Florida-mansion--new-love.html

Remenber this lad?
    the guy who brought you the 50m jokeshop e-voting machines?!

Well he is living the high life in a gated community in Florida which includes its own golf course!
    All funded by use with his 120k pension a year!!
    Who would have thought golf could cure a bad back!

Also remember we are borrowing Billions, and yet Kenny, Cullen, biffo & co are some of the best paid politicians in Europe, do you not see something wrong with people like Cullen, Ahern, Harney etc in receipt of huge pensions and salaries and we are told that they cant be touched.

Kenny earns more then Cameron AND Hollande yet there countries arent bankrupt!! its clear Ireland doesnt do reality!
    Instead we do "do as i say, not as i do"

You can bet with access to the ESM they will still continue to borrow the Billions to fund their lifestyles and yet go after the very people who struggle day to day to pay.

So Yes instead of Voting YES we should as a nation have voted NO and forced the gombeens in power to actually wake up and take a cut that is equal to the people at the very bottom of society.

Its a fecking disgrace that the people who ruined and continue to ruin this country can live a lifestyle beyond most peoples dreams and we the people have to pay for it through Austerity measures.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

you should set yourself on fire.....in protest like.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

flynnlives wrote: »
    ...we the people have to pay for it through Austerity measures.[/B]

...And expect to pay more yet again - don't say 60% didn't ask for it, they said "yes" to it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Ah sure isn't he not breaking any law? He worked hard for what he has and is perfectly entitled to it all. Stop begrudging him :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,676 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Its a fecking disgrace that the people who ruined and continue to ruin this country can live a lifestyle beyond most peoples dreams and we the people have to pay for it through Austerity measures.

Had never really noticed it, to be honest.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,730 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Ah, jaysus

joe@rte.ie

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

so i take it he is not paying his taxes in ireland,yet happy to profit from us..the usual malarky from businessmen/women so..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

Ah sure isn't he not breaking any law? He worked hard for what he has and is perfectly entitled to it all. Stop begrudging him :rolleyes:

ah yes that old culture of entitlement!!

clearly wasting 50m of taxpayers money on e-voting machines entitles one to a gold plated taxpayer funded pension!

and to keep them in their life style we need to cut blind peoples allowance and special needs assistants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

So Yes instead of Voting YES we should as a nation have voted NO and forced the gombeens in power to actually wake up and take a cut that is equal to the people at the very bottom of society.

Oh Yawn.

So, we can add Martin Cullen being clapped in irons, deported from the USA, placed in the stocks in the Phoenix park for public stoning to the list of lies which accompanied the No propaganda.

:rolleyes:

tax dodging should be criminalized

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

This is such a commonplace story at this stage, I have "rage at the man" apathy!

You won't see people making a fuss over it, cos as they voted yes, they're all at home studying and brushing up on their German!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

At the moment I am sick of remembering what the last government have done and how they are living it up at our expense,I am more concerned with whats happening now directly to my greater family and close friends in how to beat this economic mess we are in, We/I shall deal with them ****ers again in the next election/s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

OP is right. If he was in China he would be in jail doing 20 years for wasting 50m. Comment number 2, it is people like you that Cullen & co. are relying on to allow them to walk off into the sunset unchecked.. of which there are very many in thie country.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Pantsface

skelliser wrote: »
    ah yes that old culture of entitlement!!

clearly wasting 50m of taxpayers money on e-voting machines entitles one to a gold plated taxpayer funded pension!

and to keep them in their life style we need to cut blind peoples allowance and special needs assistants.

Its sickening when you think of it that way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dev100

Biggins wrote: »
    ...And expect to pay more yet again - don't say 60% didn't ask for it, they said "yes" to it!

As one phrase I heard over the weekend " I hope the 60% don't look back in anger at a future date "

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Maybe he is trying to sell voting machines to Florida. They've had their problems in the past, what with "hanging chads" and similar exotic mechanical failures, Jewish grannies being conned into voting for a rabid anti-semite, and - of course - the knuckle-dragging Bush Jr. getting fewer votes and winning. Even our debacle in Ireland wasn't as crazy as that.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

However, Cullen had better play it straight with Florida if he does business with the state. They have the death penalty and are not a bit shy about using it. Not even the fact that he is neither Black nor Hispanic is necessarily a guarantee that they wouldn't use it on him, either.:):)

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Paddy De Plasterer

Seems to golf a lot now - must be good for his back, for which we Irish lost his services. And has a lovely new girlfriend, she seems to be even bigger than him.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/06/03/article-2153931-136BFD5A000005DC-839_306x484.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,015 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I wish the rest of Fianna Fail would feck off to Florida too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

The level of intelligence in this thread couldn't light up a firefly's ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

Said yes to what exactly ? A stable future for the country ?

I'm sure we'd all like to cut that asshole's and plenty others pensions off and reduce the wages of the clowns currently in office but sinking the country to do it would be a bit pointless.

remember mary harney and the fas fraud in florida?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,118 ✭✭✭✭listermint

LordSmeg wrote: »

I'm sure we'd all like to cut that asshole's and plenty others pensions off and reduce the wages of the clowns currently in office but sinking the country to do it would be a bit pointless.

testing... testing one two one two....

this thing on...

THE COUNTRY IS ALREADY SUNK YOUR YES VOTE DOES NOTHING

Said "Yes" to a German led EU that will in complete stupidity try force more austerity measures down our throats instead of trying to help us build our economy.

I know I'm wasting my time even mentioning this - for there are those that don't want to hear it, but the rest of us know that if we don't comply to our German led masters in the EU, they will hover over us like masters with a subservient dog on a lead, yank that lead in threatening 'cut you off' tones and tell us just how high to jump!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

He should be put up against a wall and shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

OP is right. If he was in China he would be in jail doing 20 years for wasting 50m. Comment number 2, it is people like you that Cullen & co. are relying on to allow them to walk off into the sunset unchecked.. of which there are very many in thie country.

He'd only get a couple of weeks locked up in China, and then they'd hang him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

^^^^^^^^

June 3 2012:

Inaugural National Irish Keyboard Warriors Open Championship

Said "Yes" to a German led EU that will in complete stupidity try force more austerity measures down our throats instead of trying to help us build our economy.

I know I'm wasting my time even mentioning this - for there are those that don't want to hear it, but the rest of us know that if we don't comply to our German led masters in the EU, they will hover over us like masters with a subservient dog on a lead, yank that lead in threatening 'cut you off' tones and tell us just how hight to jump!

Voting no wouldnt have changed anything, Germany wouldnt have have stopped everything and changed course. I dont particularly agree with austerity but we are not in a position to be dictating the future of Europe. We are only in a position to try and salvage a bit of stability here. Cutting ourselves off from the ESM isnt going to help that its going to make it more difficult.

I dont have my head in the sand but it would be easier to discuss this without the hyperbole and nonsense.

Voting no wouldnt have changed anything, Germany wouldnt have have stopped everything and changed course. I dont particularly agree with austerity but we are not in a position to be dictating the future of Europe. We are only in a position to try and salvage a bit of stability here. Cutting ourselves off from the ESM isnt going to help that its going to make it more difficult.

I dont have my head in the sand but it would be easier to discuss this without the hyperbole and nonsense.

Voting "No" would have at least said "We want once more, to be able to have fuller say over our own destiny - be it sink or swim!" and maintain our rights to stronger self-government.
    ...But no, the scared, the blind, the fools and the traitors/Judas's of this nation have sold their sold their nation for more coin.

Forgive me if I do not thank traitors.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Florida is the lightning capital of the world, there is a chance he may get hit by lightning whilst out playing golf. *takes solace*

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

what I take most offence from is this quote:
    Subsequently, the MoS spoke to Mr Cullen – and he made it clear he had little to say to the people who are funding his own ‘snowbird’ lifestyle

So in other words he wouldn't speak to the Daily Mail. A redeeming quality IMO.

Know him in passing and always found him a gent. Hate the party or the rules not the person. How many of you in his position would be handing back the money and working in McDs?

• Advertisement

Voting "No" would have at least said "We want once more, to be able to have fuller say over our own destiny - be it sink or swim!" and maintain our rights to stronger self-government.
    ...But no, the scared, the blind, the fools and the traitors/Judas's of this nation have sold their sold their nation for more coin.

Forgive me if I do not thank these traitors.

We cannot have that say if we need a bailout. Whoever lends will dictate terms. This is unavoidable.

Our right to stronger self governance and a fuller say in our own destiny wont finance the country though.

I think it very hypocritical calling yes voters scared,blind,fools and traitors for trying to stabilise the country while your of the view you'd rather it sink completely under our own full control rather than recover with common policies with other Eurozone members.

To hell with everyone as long as your national pride is kept happy is essentially what your saying.

forfuxsake wrote: »
    what I take most offence from is this quote:

So in other words he wouldn't speak to the Daily Mail. A redeeming quality IMO.

Know him in passing and always found him a gent. Hate the party or the rules not the person. How many of you in his position would be handing back the money and working in McDs?

I would have to be a schiester to be in his position.

Whats your point? Lets talk about ethics in office.... how about we talk about that, dismissing single peoples decisions as the party line is a cop out and has allowed irish people to be governed my loons and idiots for the best part of half a century.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Stinicker wrote: »
    Florida is the lightning capital of the world, there is a chance he may get hit by lightning whilst out playing golf. *takes solace*

There's a lot more chance of that happening than the AH continuity keyboard army sorting him out.

The aggregate results so far:

Enemies of the people - 20,000
    AH Continuity Keyboard Army - nil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2153931/Cullens-life-luxury--taxes-Minister-e-voting-quit-2010-bad--120k-pension-Now-new-Jag-Florida-mansion--new-love.html

Remenber this lad?
    the guy who brought you the 50m jokeshop e-voting machines?!

Well he is living the high life in a gated community in Florida which includes its own golf course!
    All funded by use with his 120k pension a year!!
    Who would have thought golf could cure a bad back!

Also remember we are borrowing Billions, and yet Kenny, Cullen, biffo & co are some of the best paid politicians in Europe, do you not see something wrong with people like Cullen, Ahern, Harney etc in receipt of huge pensions and salaries and we are told that they cant be touched.

Kenny earns more then Cameron AND Hollande yet there countries arent bankrupt!! its clear Ireland doesnt do reality!
    Instead we do "do as i say, not as i do"

You can bet with access to the ESM they will still continue to borrow the Billions to fund their lifestyles and yet go after the very people who struggle day to day to pay.

And what film was this in op? It seems a bit far fetched to be reality.

We cannot have that say if we need a bailout. Whoever lends will dictate terms. This is unavoidable.

Our right to stronger self governance and a fuller say in our own destiny wont finance the country though.

I think it very hypocritical calling yes voters scared,blind,fools and traitors for trying to stabilise the country while your of the view you'd rather it sink completely under our own full control rather than recover with common policies with other Eurozone members.

To hell with everyone as long as your national pride is kept happy is essentially what your saying.

'if we need a bailout' we need a bailout, we also are paying back unsustainable and i would garner it illegal debts (unsecured)

secondly if the foolish think that ratifying this treaty will do anything to divert the current course we are on they are more foolish than i had imagined.

This treaty will do nothing for the markets, it is merely gloss work dreamed up in the EU parliament to re-enforce rules that were never abided by in the first place.

The only way out of this is through alternate thinking and for germany to lay down some of its own nationalist banners and get back to the EU plan as it was designed. If not we are all doomed all of us.

So instead, lets sell our pride and right to self-government for a price.
    Lets ignore the fact that austerity measures are not working, that France and even now Merkel has acknowledged this!
    Lets ignore the fact that if we maintain further ability to self-government, that we might through our own steering, recover our own economy over time also - no, it easier instead to get the public to be compliant by scaring them into thinking that our new German led masters have all the answers and the chain to yank when we don't comply!

Lovely stuff!

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    'if we need a bailout' we need a bailout, we also are paying back unsustainable and i would garner it illegal debts (unsecured)

This isnt about the bank debt. If we need a bailout which you think is better ? Higher interest ? Or lower interest ?
    secondly if the foolish think that ratifying this treaty will do anything to divert the current course we are on they are more foolish than i had imagined.

Likewise for anyone who thinks a No vote would have changed anything. Calling others fools while making the same point yourself isnt really an effective argument.
    This treaty will do nothing for the markets, it is merely gloss work dreamed up in the EU parliament to re-enforce rules that were never abided by in the first place.

A no vote would have done nothing for the markets. And the reason countries are in so much shít currently is partially because those rules were not abided by. We dont want other states following our lead into bankruptcy. We want stability across the eurozone. If it all comes crashing down then this treaty wont have mattered anyway but at least its an effort to do something.
    The only way out of this is through alternate thinking and for germany to lay down some of its own nationalist banners and get back to the EU plan as it was designed. If not we are all doomed all of us.

If that is what needs to happen then it will happen but in the mean time we cannot afford to sit back and wait while we are up shít creek. If austerity is only the answer for short term stability then thats where we go. We wont be dictating European policy regardless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

You want better self-governance? Try voting for politicians who aren't thundering morons.

Tell you what, in 5 years if the yes vote turns out to have caused the country to collapse and forced us all to learn the goosestep, I'll buy you a packet of crisps with my dwindling supply of food stamps. Fair?

Lets ignore the fact that austerity measures are not working, that France and even now Merkel has acknowledged this!
    Lets ignore the fact that if we maintain further ability to self-government, that we might through our own steering, recover our own economy over time also - no, it easier instead to get the public to be compliant by scaring them into thinking that our new German led masters have all the answers and the chain to yank when we don't comply!

Lovely stuff!

If anyone sold us out it was FF. Yes its nice to have a whinge about it but there comes a time when we have to accept it happened and try to get out of this mess. Nows the time.

Hollande and Merkel dont rely on the Irish people to tell them which direction to go in. We are now the broke cousin at the edge of europe. We do what we need to do to get back on our feet. We cannot borrow from the markets, we need access to the ESM, we voted yes to access the ESM. Thats what it was about.

...If austerity is only the answer for short term stability then thats where we go. We wont be dictating European policy regardless.

Austerity is not working - or will work on its own!

As for "dictating", thats what the people of Ireland are going to get more of via the Dail or the German led EU, if they like it or lump it!

If anyone sold us out it was FF. Yes its nice to have a whinge about it but there comes a time when we have to accept it happened and try to get out of this mess. Nows the time.

...So lets get the workers to pay up constantly till there is absolute nothing in their pockets, banks and pension funds?
    Thats a HELL of a stupid way to get an economy back up and running! Completely stupid way!
    ...We cannot borrow from the markets, we need access to the ESM, we voted yes to access the ESM. Thats what it was about.
    Yes, we sold our selves for a price.
    End of story.

This isnt about the bank debt. If we need a bailout which you think is better ? Higher interest ? Or lower interest ?

Likewise for anyone who thinks a No vote would have changed anything. Calling others fools while making the same point yourself isnt really an effective argument.

A no vote would have done nothing for the markets. And the reason countries are in so much shít currently is partially because those rules were not abided by. We dont want other states following our lead into bankruptcy. We want stability across the eurozone. If it all comes crashing down then this treaty wont have mattered anyway but at least its an effort to do something.

If that is what needs to happen then it will happen but in the mean time we cannot afford to sit back and wait while we are up shít creek. If austerity is only the answer for short term stability then thats where we go. We wont be dictating European policy regardless.

using the term stability is the foolish part. It has done nothing and will do nothing for this so called stability, the markets dont care.

additionally we have to pony up billions straight away, mean while spain and it looks like italy will have raided this so called stability fund regardless.

So pray tell where is this stability coming from?....

Anyway we are off topic here, that being said the pensions are too high and too ring fenced for the quality of governance we received from these scheisters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Austerity will help pay of the bank debts but what countries have used Austerity to come out of a recession?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭yore

Lovely stuff!

I have a simple question. Can someone who posts this kind of stuff please explain to me how Ireland can could theoretically continue sans "austerity". In other words, how it could continue to spend more than it takes in for an extended period of time. ( Obviously, from basic economics principles, it could occur from outsiders investing into the country...but ignoring that for the minute)

Think of it in terms of a household. Where the household spends more than is coming in. It can only continue to do so by taking on some loans. That's fine at the start, but when you keep going back for more loans, eventually the lender will say "hang on a minute".

It's a genuine question. It's not a licence for people to say "rabble rabble bank debt, not ours blah blah". Just how do you think it would be sustainable to continue in a situation where you are beholden to whatever lenders to give you the money to continue to spend more than you have?

It's a bit like that old adage - the easiest way to get a loan is to be able to prove that you don't need it!

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Austerity will help pay of the bank debts but what countries have used Austerityto come out of a recession?

Successfully?

None so far that many can see - not that FG and Labour (yes, that party that is supposed to help the very workers of Ireland they are supposed to stand for – not crucify them!) wish to see that!

Austerity is not working - or will work on its own!

As for "dictating", thats what the people of Ireland are going to get more of via the Dail or the German led EU, if they like it or lump it!

So Austerity isnt working, bail out, bail out is it ? Whats our fall back plan if we want to avoid austerity seeing as we are hinged on what Germany decide as long as we remain in the Euro ? Withdraw and re-print the punt ?

Nobody is dictating anything. People have voted for a common policy to try and pick the best path forward. But seeing as we are all traitorous fools to you I'm not sure it matters what I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Paddy De Plasterer

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/06/03/article-2153931-136BFD89000005DC-636_634x451.jpg

Poor little man's back looks ok, but he would need high heels to get up to his girlfriend. Hope he is not over exerting himself.

using the term stability is the foolish part. It has done nothing and will do nothing for this so called stability, the markets dont care.

additionally we have to pony up billions straight away, mean while spain and it looks like italy will have raided this so called stability fund regardless.

So pray tell where is this stability coming from?....

Anyway we are off topic here, that being said the pensions are too high and too ring fenced for the quality of governance we received from these scheisters.

Stability comes from knowing we can access the ESM for funding and other member states are restricted from allowing their books to get out of hand.

I agree regards the pensions I see no reason at all why this numpty should be living it up in Florida on 120k a year of tax payer money.

Nobody is dictating anything.

Really - so the boys and girls visiting us checking our books every once in a while for the EU and then telling us to do stuff, is not dictating to us?

Right.

We will have to agree to disagree in that one.

Really - so the boys and girls visiting us checking our books every once in a while for the EU and then telling us to do stuff, is not dictating to us?

Right.

We will have to agree to disagree in that one.

We have signed up to common policy in the treaty and certain terms in the bailout packages.

Thats not dictating to us its something we have agreed to. Germany is a huge player in Europe, whether we are borrowing or not as long as we are in Europe they will dictate certain things in relation to how Europe evolves.

But its not dictating when we have voted to abide by certain things which they have too in this treaty dont forget, the terms are the same for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

I would have to be a schiester to be in his position.

Whats your point? Lets talk about ethics in office.... how about we talk about that, dismissing single peoples decisions as the party line is a cop out and has allowed irish people to be governed my loons and idiots for the best part of half a century.

My point? My point is that he was not a dictator. We, the electorate, put him and those like him in power. Yes he is a feckin' idiot/schiester/scoundrel but what does that make us?

This isn't Libya, Iraq or even the US(a two-party democracy)We have been governed by loons and idiots for half a century because we voted them in.

And even if ye didn't vote FF, ye probably didn't protest too much either while the cash was flowing.

Now we can deliberate the moral thing to do all day but that doesn't change the reality that most of us in his position would do the same thing.

My point really was that refusing to speak to the DM is not the same as refusing to address the Irish people.

We have signed up to common policy in the treaty and certain terms in the bailout packages.

Thats not dictating to us its something we have agreed to. Germany is a huge player in Europe, whether we are borrowing or not as long as we are in Europe they will dictate certain things in relation to how Europe evolves.

But its not dictating when we have voted to abide by certain things which they have too in this treaty dont forget, the terms are the same for all.

If we agreed to something or not, orders coming down from above - is still orders!

...Unless I am completely stupid!

• Advertisement
Advertisement