Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Continuing Hodgson/Ferdinand/Terry Controversy

• 03-06-2012 3:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,592 ✭✭✭✭

Just seeing that Martin Kelly has been called upto replace Gary Cahill, first off, congratulations to the lad.

But Hodgson's continuing avoidance of calling up Rio Ferdinand (who according to his own tweets seems to want to go and is bemused by his latest snub) is nothing short of a disgrace.

Hodgson's claims that his leaving out of Ferdinand was for footballing reasons have now been shown to be absolute horsedung and it is very clear that Ferdinand has been left out to appease John Terry.

Should the victim's family really be punished at the expense of the defendant? Seems absolutely disgraceful to me and I can only wish Roy Hodgson every failure as he has pretty much shown the Liverpool fans right in their assertions that he lacks the class to manage a big club.

For me, this has pretty much shown him up to be utterly classless.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

He's a good manager just give him a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I am not Roy's biggest fan but I seriously doubt that has anything to do with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I doubt anyone really believes Ferdinand was left out for footballing reasons!! If it was a straight choice between himself and Terry, i'd pick Ferdinand!!

Hodgson came out with some sh!te in his first press conference about Ferdinand only playing one England match since the World Cup! So what? He''s played plenty of club matches since then. He's match fit and experienced!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,592 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Turtyturd wrote: »
    He's a good manager just give him a chance.

This has nothing to do with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

monkey9 wrote: »
    I doubt anyone really believes Ferdinand was left out for footballing reasons!! If it was a straight choice between himself and Terry, i'd pick Ferdinand!!

Hodgson came out with some sh!te in his first press conference about Ferdinand only playing one England match since the World Cup! So what? He''s played plenty of club matches since then. He's match fit and experienced!

Terry every day of the week.

Ferdinand's fitness, form and whatever else mean shag all if Hodgson believes including him will cause a rift in the squad. Roy could very well be right for all we know (and we really know sweet FA).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

I hate John Terry, but given a choice between him and Ferdinand, Terry wins each and every time.

Is Ferdinand's back better? Didn't he have to spend flights standing up a few years ago or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Terry every day of the week.

Ferdinand's fitness, form and whatever else mean shag all if Hodgson believes including him will cause a rift in the squad. Roy could very well be right for all we know (and we really know sweet FA).

Ferdinand has played more games than Terry over the last several months and his form has definitely been better.

It was easier to leave out Rio because he's older and Capello had been leaving him out previously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

For me it's not that he's not picking Ferdinand, he more of who else he's not picking. How Kelly and Downing got in the squad is beyond comprehension. Tim Howard had more league goals than Downing. Williamson, Simpson, Richards and Shawcross all deserve a place in that squad above Kelly. It's baffling, I really hope they crash out with no points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

THFC wrote: »
    For me it's not that he's not picking Ferdinand, he more of who else he's not picking. How Kelly and Downing got in the squad is beyond comprehension. Tim Howard had more league goals than Downing. Williamson, Simpson, Richards and Shawcross all deserve a place in that squad above Kelly. It's baffling, I really hope they crash out with no points.

The way you're going on, you'd swear Kelly was sh!t or something. He's a fine defender, no worries there!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Wow,nearly fell off the chair reading that!!
    Richards is one that should have been called by now,he can play CB and RB just as well as Kelly can.
    Euro 2012 will be a disaster for England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

In fairness, it would certainly have been Richards before Kelly but Richards apparently refused to go on the standby list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

Bar Rooney and Evra, Rio played the most minutes of any United player this season. The lack of fitness things.... ya de yaaaaaaaa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

monkey9 wrote: »
    The way you're going on, you'd swear Kelly was sh!t or something. He's a fine defender, no worries there!!
    I completely agree, he has serious potential, but do you honestly believe he was chosen for his ability alone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Ok my two cents on it. Kelly may be unproven but chances are he will see zero action. Mike Williamson is a liability (coming from a Newcastle fan), Simpson is solid not much more and Shawcross is nothing special. Ferdinand is past it imo and if Roy feels bringing him (to sit on the bench nonetheless) may potentially cause a rift then what is the point? Different if it was the Rio of old.

The only real issue I have is that Richards isn't included. I suspect something may be going on here but if not it is a criminal decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

dahat wrote: »
    Richards is one that should have been called by now,he can play CB and RB just as well as Kelly can.
    Euro 2012 will be a disaster for England.

LOL. Including Kelly (who won't play) in the squad will mean that it will be a disaster? What can he possibly do wrong sitting on a bench? :rolleyes:

Great to see no-one is overreacting anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Delighted Rio is not going to Euros.

Do feel sorry for him, but from United perspective its good news.

On sidenote I think England have half chance to get to final this year.

cgpg5 wrote: »
    Ok my two cents on it. Kelly may be unproven but chances are he will see zero action. Mike Williamson is a liability (coming from a Newcastle fan), Simpson is solid not much more and Shawcross is nothing special. Ferdinand is past it imo and if Roy feels bringing him (to sit on the bench nonetheless) may potentially cause a rift then what is the point? Different if it was the Rio of old.

The only real issue I have is that Richards isn't included. I suspect something may be going on here but if not it is a criminal decision.

Have you not seen Ferdinand over the past 6 months? He put in several superb performances and has hardly put a foot wrong. He's lost a couple of yards of pace and has had to change his game, but his reading of the game and positioning are still excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Hope Terry doesn't do something stupid again like kneeing a player in the back.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    I hate John Terry, but given a choice between him and Ferdinand, Terry wins each and every time.

Given a choice between Martin Kelly and Ferdinand...?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Ganymede Glow

He's a good man though

Surely Kelly is going as RB & Phil Jones at CB?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

I mean no disrespect to Kelly, but how he gets the call up ahead of Rio is absolute beggars belief.

Roy obviously didn't want both Terry and Rio in the squad, as he believes it would cause a rift i presume, in which case he shouldn't have made up bull**** about "totally footballing reasons".

The already ridiculous British media are going to have a field day and pick up on every tiny detail.

Anything less than a semi final and it's goodbye Roy I'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Ferdinand's twitter about 2 hours ago

Rio Ferdinand ‏@rioferdy5
    What reasons?????!!!

Not a Man U or Pool fan, but calling up a right back ahead of Ferdinand is a right kick in the face for Ferdinand and absolutely ridiculous. Clear to see now it's not for football reasons. Kelly is a decent player, but it's embarrassing for Hodgson that he made that decision after Cahill pulling out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

It is a pity Terry got the all clear, would have loved to see him miss out tbh. I wonder would he have called up Rio then?

Kelly is being called up for a RB spot with Jones moving into CB, anything other than that would be madness. Kelly's natural position was originally CB but he's never played there for Liverpool's senior team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

dfx- wrote: »

If this whole Terry thing didn't happen, Ferdinand would have been in the original squad. Since it did happen, Roy seems to have decided its one or the other. So long as Terry is still going, Ferdinand doesn't come into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

If you're picking a RB, I'd go for Kelly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

CSF wrote: »
    Just seeing that Martin Kelly has been called upto replace Gary Cahill, first off, congratulations to the lad.

But Hodgson's continuing avoidance of calling up Rio Ferdinand (who according to his own tweets seems to want to go and is bemused by his latest snub) is nothing short of a disgrace.

Hodgson's claims that his leaving out of Ferdinand was for footballing reasons have now been shown to be absolute horsedung and it is very clear that Ferdinand has been left out to appease John Terry.

Should the victim's family really be punished at the expense of the defendant? Seems absolutely disgraceful to me and I can only wish Roy Hodgson every failure as he has pretty much shown the Liverpool fans right in their assertions that he lacks the class to manage a big club.

For me, this has pretty much shown him up to be utterly classless.
    It hasnt been established that there is a victim yet. If Terry hasnt done anythign then there isnt one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

what about micah richards

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Kelly is being called up for a RB spot with Jones moving into CB, anything other than that would be madness. Kelly's natural position was originally CB but he's never played there for Liverpool's senior team.

I'd say Jones will still be 2nd choice right back but will move from 4th to 3rd choice CB. Kelly will only be there to make up the numbers, can't see him getting any game time at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

In defence of Hodgson, i never though i would defend him, he made the decision to leave Rio out of the squad a few weeks ago and he feels as if he cant go back on it, Kelly has great potential and he is the future of england.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

G.K. wrote: »

If you're replacing an injured centre-half?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Firstly John Terry is innocent until proven guilty. He has done nothing wrong (so far).

Secondly it seems like its Rio Ferdinand that has problem with JT and JT has no problem with RF. If RF has a problem or doesnt want to play with the currently innocent Terry then it should be RF that misses out. If Ferdinands issues with Terry could create bother in the squad over the euro's then Ferdinand shouldnt be at the Euro's

Im sure Hodgson has spoken to Ferdinand and didnt like what he had to say.

Remember John Terry is currently innocent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

what about micah richards

He wouldn't accept a role a stand by and went off on holidays...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Hodgson made his bed when he didn't pick Rio for the original squad. All the withdrawls are really biting him on the bum.

Is it karma for the original decision and the lying that went with it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

While I do not know Ferdinand, his tweets demonstrate that he is a man of low intelligence. Hodgson obviously prefers the more cerebral Terry, being that it's an either/or situation.

It hasnt been established that there is a victim yet. If Terry hasnt done anythign then there isnt one.

Anyone who has seen the footage will know that it has been established. It just hasn't gone to court yet. It is an absolute disgrace of a decision and just shows how classless a man Hodgson is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Tim Howard had more league goals than Downing. .
    dahat wrote: »

Meh.He has more than Ferdinand too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

G.K. wrote: »

I would have thought Cahills place in the squad would go to a backup CB, not another RB.

• Advertisement

Firstly John Terry is innocent until proven guilty. He has done nothing wrong (so far).

Secondly it seems like its Rio Ferdinand that has problem with JT and JT has no problem with RF. If RF has a problem or doesnt want to play with the currently innocent Terry then it should be RF that misses out. If Ferdinands issues with Terry could create bother in the squad over the euro's then Ferdinand shouldnt be at the Euro's

Im sure Hodgson has spoken to Ferdinand and didnt like what he had to say.

Remember John Terry is currently innocent

Where are you basing your sequence of events from? Really does seem like you've plucked them out of nowhere.

Terry may not have been found guilty or charged yet but there is clear footage for anyone to see that the man is guilty and should be given no benefit of the doubt.

Where are you basing your sequence of events from? Really does seem like you've plucked them out of nowhere.

Terry may not have been found guilty or charged yet but there is clear footage for anyone to see that the man is guilty and should be given no benefit of the doubt.
    There is loads of video evidence of RF being a terrible cb as well.

There is loads of video evidence of RF being a terrible cb as well.

Omgzlolroflmao!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Was that photo of Ferdinand that was doing the rounds after the initial squad announcement legitimate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Hodgson already made the decision to go with Terry rather than Rio, even though both are good enough to be in the original squad. So I do not see why peoplethink just because of injuries that Rio would suddenly come back into contention when Hodgson has long since made his choice.

I really do not see the problem with bringing Kelly either. He will most likely be the 3rd choice backup for RB and the 5th choice backup for CB, so it is not that risky bringing a promising youngster along for tournament experience.

Omgzlolroflmao!!!!!!
    I'm not saying he's terrible, just that if I could be arsed, I could cobble together a few vids of RF and if shown to someone who had never seen him play before, they'd conclude he was sh*te.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Was that photo of Ferdinand that was doing the rounds after the initial squad announcement legitimate?

it was a photoshop. there was also a copy of the original shown after. can't remember what the original was about but anyhoo it was a photoshop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

No photo-shopped. Here's the original. Some things are too good to be true.

Ferdy5.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

jaykay74 wrote: »
    I would have thought Cahills place in the squad would go to a backup CB, not another RB.
    If you're replacing an injured centre-half?

England already had 4 other centre backs. Taking 5 is ridiculous.

I'm not saying he's terrible, just that if I could be arsed, I could cobble together a few vids of RF and if shown to someone who had never seen him play before, they'd conclude he was sh*te.

What is your point? All defenders make mistakes, all defenders don't make racist verbal attacks on fellow professionals. Neither Terry nor Hodgson should be taking part in this competition. Both as bad as each other.

• Advertisement
Advertisement