Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Continuing Hodgson/Ferdinand/Terry Controversy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,592 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    Hodgson already made the decision to go with Terry rather than Rio, even though both are good enough to be in the original squad. So I do not see why peoplethink just because of injuries that Rio would suddenly come back into contention when Hodgson has long since made his choice.

I really do not see the problem with bringing Kelly either. He will most likely be the 3rd choice backup for RB and the 5th choice backup for CB, so it is not that risky bringing a promising youngster along for tournament experience.

The point is that Hodgson screamed from the rooftops that it wasn't to do with that. Eyebrows were raised at the time, and I never believed it but todays incidents have proved beyond doubt what a classless man Roy Hodgson is, although I had suspected it since the squad was announced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

CSF wrote: »
    What is your point? All defenders make mistakes, all defenders don't make racist verbal attacks on fellow professionals. Neither Terry nor Hodgson should be taking part in this competition. Both as bad as each other.
    Where is your proof?

Terry is innocent until proven guilty. He is a better player than Ferdinand.
    One or other of them can go to the euros, not both.
    You take the better player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

G.K. wrote: »
    England already had 4 other centre backs. Taking 5 is ridiculous.

They have 8 defenders as it is. The most of any team in the tournament I think.

Where is your proof?

Terry is innocent until proven guilty. He is a better player than Ferdinand.
    One or other of them can go to the euros, not both.
    You take the better player.

The video footage. If there was video footage of Terry doing something that Roy Hodgson considered a legitimate crime, and he hadn't been found guilty yet, Terry wouldn't be going, and the victim's family wouldn't be punished for having a black brother. However, Hodgson clearly doesn't take racism very seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Looks like Rio is about to retire himself anyway.

Strongly worded statement on the way apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Hodgson is a football manager, his job is to get the best results with what he has, we'll see if it works out but if he thinks he'll get better results without Ferdinand that's his prerogative.

The video footage. If there was video footage of Terry doing something that Roy Hodgson considered a legitimate crime, and he hadn't been found guilty yet, Terry wouldn't be going, and the victim's family wouldn't be punished for having a black brother. However, Hodgson clearly doesn't take racism very seriously.

OK, ok, I promised Roy i wouldn't say anything but you've forced my hand...
    Remember when the racist Ferdinand refused to shake, all round good guy, Luis Suarez's hand?
    That's why he's out.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Looks like Rio is about to retire himself anyway.

Strongly worded statement on the way apparently.

He is dead right too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

They have 8 defenders as it is. The most of any team in the tournament I think.

Aye. No country except England have 8 defenders. I wish Roy had used this opportunity to bring in Britton.

• Advertisement

OK, ok, I promised Roy i wouldn't say anything but you've forced my hand...
    Remember when the racist Ferdinand refused to shake, all round good guy, Luis Suarez's hand?
    That's why he's out.
    Omgzlolroflmao!!!!!!

Yeah.

Hodgson hates ball playing centre backs anyway.

Rio was never likely to be in his plans. Add in his age. Perceived inability to play 3 matches (potentially more) back to back & in quick succession and the John Terry thing & it's really not surprising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

He is dead right too.

Leave before your sacked kind of thing?:)

At the end of the day , Ferdinand is 34 in a few months. He wont be playing in another tournament either way. It will stand to Hodgson more to have Martin Kelly with some sort of tournament experience going in to the next campaign if he's in his plans. He will get much more out of a tournament on the bench than Ferdinand will.

Leave Rio to moan on twitter to himself.

Liam O wrote: »
    Hodgson is a football manager, his job is to get the best results with what he has, we'll see if it works out but if he thinks he'll get better results without Ferdinand that's his prerogative.

Grand, England may aswell ditch their Kick Racism Out Of Football so seeing as England internationals can be dropped for having a black brother. Dress it up whatever way you want, that is exactly how it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Ferdinand is being victimised because of the actions of John Terry!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,924 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

According to the press Hodgson spoke to SAF who said that:

Only last week, Sir Alex Ferguson said as much and Hodgson consulted the Manchester United manager before making his decision.

‘You play something like a game every four days,’ said Ferguson. ‘Rio couldn’t do that.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2144988/Rio-Ferdinand-axed-shows-Roy-Hodgson-ruthless-streak.html#ixzz1wkki44Au

• Advertisement

I'm honestly lost for words how someone with a brain can produce something so stupid as recyclingbin's stance on this.

Rio was never likely to be in his plans. Add in his age. Perceived inability to play 3 matches (potentially more) back to back & in quick succession and the John Terry thing & it's really not surprising.

Rio definitely isn't what he was, may not have been a first-choice starter, but I would bet my house on him being in the squad if Terry hadn't racially abused his brother.

Ferdinand wouldn't have to play every four days as part of a squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

FA statement imminent on Rio....

Bringing Rio in here (In today's scenario - I'm not talking about any other time) would have been ridiculous. 5 CB's is just too many, especially considering only one could get played in any other position. You can't reduce your options like that.

• Advertisement

Bringing Rio in here would have been ridiculous. 5 CB's is just too many, especially considering only one could get played in any other position. You can't reduce your options like that.

As opposed to Gary Cahill who would also have been playing at centre-back?

Grand, England may aswell ditch their Kick Racism Out Of Football so seeing as England internationals can be dropped for having a black brother. Dress it up whatever way you want, that is exactly how it is.
    As much as I'd love a moral crusade in football, it's ultimately a results business and Hodgson is doing what he thinks is his best chance of achieving them. That I don't agree with it both morally and practically isn't going to make a difference...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

True, Seem to remember Agger had a tough time under Roy at Liverpool as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

monkey9 wrote: »
    Ferdinand is being victimised because of the actions of John Terry!

Given that he's innocent until proven guilty it very simply comes down to having to choose one over the other based on footballing ability if Hodgson has already decided that both can't be included.

If that's the case you could argue that Ferdinand is better but there's not much in it so taking Terry is perfectly reasonable.

I think Terry is a terrible person but until a court decides he's acted unlawfully you can't (or at least the manager can't) use that as a stick to beat him with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

Well considering Hodgson brought Rooney who will only play 1 game, surely Rio would be able for 3.

Also surely if Kelly only gets called up now, he won't play unless there are a lot of injuries so surely you would rather to call on Rio than Kelly to come up against Ibrahimovic?

I'm honestly lost for words how someone with a brain can produce something so stupid as recyclingbin's stance on this.
    You don't produce a stance.
    When calling someone else stupid, it is important one's statement should be above reproach.

As much as I'd love a moral crusade in football, it's ultimately a results business and Hodgson is doing what he thinks is his best chance of achieving them. That I don't agree with it both morally and practically isn't going to make a difference...

Racism is more than just morals. It needs to be taken seriously, and not thrown to the side at the expense of results.

jaykay74 wrote: »

Yep, looked like he'd be on his way until Roy got the bullet.

double GG wrote: »
    Well considering Hodgson brought Rooney who will only play 1 game, surely Rio would be able for 3.

What the **** is the connection between Rooney being banned for 2 games and Ferdinand not being physically able to play a group of games close together according to his own manager, coupled with the situation with Terry and Anton?

Gbear wrote: »
    Given that he's innocent until proven guilty it very simply comes down to having to choose one over the other based on footballing ability if Hodgson has already decided that both can't be included.

If that's the case you could argue that Ferdinand is better but there's not much in it so taking Terry is perfectly reasonable.

I think Terry is a terrible person but until a court decides he's acted unlawfully you can't (or at least the manager can't) use that as a stick to beat him with.

There is clear footage available for Hodgson to see for himself that he is guilty. If there was a footage of a crime Hodgson took seriously available, Terry wouldn't be going. Court case pending or not.

• Advertisement

jaykay74 wrote: »

Agger wouldn't be at the club now if Hodgson had stayed on!

I'd like to take this opportunity to declare my international retirement from the following sides: England, Ireland, France, Spain, Denmark and Brazil.
    I'm still available for Germany though, if you're reading this Yogi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Maybe he was included and forgot....he has previous with forgetting important dates.:pac:

There is clear footage available for Hodgson to see for himself that he is guilty. If there was a footage of a crime Hodgson took seriously available, Terry wouldn't be going. Court case pending or not.
    Hodgson is well qualified, however, as far as I'm aware, he is not a qualified judge.

Rio accuses The Hodge of a total lack of respect!

Meoww!

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭eugeneious

SamWallaceIndy: Ferdinand's agent Moralee to Press Assoc: "Lampard, Terry, Barry, Gerrard; all ageing but they go to the tournament. Why is Rio different?"

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Maybe he was included and forgot....he has previous with forgetting important dates.:pac:
    BOOM!
    back of the net.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Aue2xJFCEAApg1w.jpg:large

As opposed to Gary Cahill who would also have been playing at centre-back?

That's because Hodgson called up Jagielka ridiculously to replace Barry. Just becasue Cahill got injured doesn't mean Hodgson doesn't have to maintain the error of having 5.

• Advertisement

Hodgson is well qualified, however, as far as I'm aware, he is not a qualified judge.

I'm pretty sure nobody found your first few attempts at humour funny, I can't imagine you're going to manage to turn that around with persistence.

That's because Hodgson called up Jagielka ridiculously to repalce Barry. Just becasue Cahill got injured doesn't mean Hodgson doesn't have to maintain the error of having 5.

I can't imagine Hodgson considers that an error. You would think he thought the situation through before he called up Jagielka.

It still doesn't mean Cahill has to be replaced with a CB.

For the record, I'd have replaced him with a midfielder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I think this is poor form from Rio. A bit undignified.

It's plainly obvious he is not going to feature as long as Terry is in the squad. Hodgson would be pretty dumb to bring in two big personalities with a major personal issue between them and risk splitting his camp.

I have sympathy with Rio being upset at this guy with questionable moral values (to put it mildly) getting in ahead of him, but it's not like Hodgson can come out and say 'I can't take both so I'm taking Terry'. To do so would take the spotlight away from the football.

I feel Rio would be better off keeping quiet as most people know the real score anyway without him having to draw attention to it. He's not doing himself any favours imo.

I think this is poor form from Rio. A bit undignified.

It's plainly obvious he is not going to feature as long as Terry is in the squad. Hodgson would be pretty dumb to bring in two big personalities with a major personal issue between them and risk splitting his camp.

I have sympathy with Rio being upset at this guy with questionable moral values (to put it mildly) getting in ahead of him, but it's not like Hodgson can come out and say 'I can't take both so I'm taking Terry'. To do so would take the spotlight away from the football.

I feel Rio would be better off keeping quiet as most people know the real score anyway without him having to draw attention to it. He's not doing himself any favours imo.
    Yeah, Rio should just sit back and stay silent while Roy Hodgson snubs him for having a black brother who was racially abused by someone Hodgson considers a better player. That makes loads of sense.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

This is getting funny now!! Lack of respect? Jesus... Hodgson can pick who he wants and who he'll think will come in and perform best. Ferdinand is creating a huge **** storm with this and it can only be disruptive for the English team.

• Advertisement

I'm pretty sure nobody found your first few attempts at humour funny, I can't imagine you're going to manage to turn that around with persistence.
    You keep banging on about how Rio is the bestest in the world.
    Eventually someone will agree with you and you can pop your man utd pyjamas on and hit the sack happy in the knowledge that you are not in a minority of one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Yeah, Rio should just sit back and stay silent while Roy Hodgson snubs him for having a black brother who was racially abused by someone Hodgson considers a better player. That makes loads of sense.

England have 4 CB's in squad right now. Why call up Ferdinand? I agree with GK, Hodgson should've used this opportunity to call up a midfield player. I'd have liked to see someone young like Britton given an experience

I agree it's a tad arrogant of Rio

You keep banging on about how Rio is the bestest in the world.
    Eventually someone will agree with you and you can pop your man utd pyjamas on and hit the sack happy in the knowledge that you are not in a minority of one.

I don't think Rio Ferdinand is particularly amazing, and I don't particularly like Man United. I don't think I'm in a minority of one either. You're not really doing well with the oul points here.

He should sit back and stay silent. Its not his place to whinge about who is or isnt picked for the squad.

It really doesnt matter is Hodgson had left out Messi (if he were English obviously) . He picks the team and thats the way it is. Maybe Rio should have chucked his hat in the ring when the job was up for grabs.

• Advertisement
Advertisement