Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An offer we will refuse!

Options
  • 03-06-2012 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭

Someone asked if we were interested in their cottage yesterday. They were English but sounded Irish.

Just wanted it aired is all; and a bit of cash, she kept saying....Sounded good IF we were planning a move right now.

When I tried to pin her down to amounts etc, she just kept saying .. a bit of cash.. when I mentioned RA oh she did not want to declare the rent.. Sol I told her that RA means that we pay I think it is E30 a week in real terms.

She had no idea of what letting involved. Of the legalities and safeguards etc, oh and mentioned that she had visitor using it sometimes.

Thankful that there is no way however needy we were that I would involve in this.
    Anything we rent will have proper paperwork and all the legalities respected to the last iota...

The E30 left her rather ...disillusioned... so we left it that she would speak to her husband. Please God that is the last we hear as I know she meant well.

Thankful forall we have learned here also. THANK YOU!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

even without knowing how they ended up getting talking to you, I know it's a scam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

even without knowing how they ended up getting talking to you, I know it's a scam
    Not necessarily. For those who rent privately, this could be a great arrangement. Very cheap rent, pay bills, do a bit of maintenance, keep an eye on the place and keep it aired. I know a few people with holiday homes who have this arrangement, it works out really well.

Obviously it makes no sense sadly if you are on RA.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Not necessarily. For those who rent privately, this could be a great arrangement. Very cheap rent, pay bills, do a bit of maintenance, keep an eye on the place and keep it aired. I know a few people with holiday homes who have this arrangement, it works out really well.

Obviously it makes no sense sadly if you are on RA.

Exactly so; but you have no safeguards or protection. And what when they want to accommodate someone..

We almost took a lovely house by the sea; one of the many let during the winter cheaply.... Then she said that she had bookings the next summer so of course we would have to move out for those few weeks...There is no permanency.

Advertisement