Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart Tv Box? Advice

Options
  • 03-06-2012 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

http://deviceguru.com/google-tv-vs-apple-tv-vs-boxee-vs-roku/

looking to buy smart tv box, there is alot on ebay but looking to buy one that will work with most features in ireland, i.e no point in getting something that has a lot of american based apps, hulu for instance when they wont work here. the ideal sceanario would be one that has a solid web browser for flash so you could watch my premium tv or fastpass tv through it.

Advice Please??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭looder

looking to buy smart tv box, there is alot on ebay but looking to buy one that will work with most features in ireland, i.e no point in getting something that has a lot of american based apps, hulu for instance when they wont work here. the ideal sceanario would be one that has a solid web browser for flash so you could watch my premium tv or fastpass tv through it.

Advice Please??
    I read recently that there could be an IE9 browser coming to Xbox 360 which will be ideal for me so I'm going to stick it out another few months before I decide to go with a Logitech Revue or not.

There won't be an awful lot of internet TV apps that will work in Ireland so it's hard to say which is the best. I looked into it a few months back and decided on the Revue over the Apple TV and Boxee but that was because of the price at the time, even though I never went ahead and purchased.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

You could build a pc for €200 and run XBMC on it, better than any set top box or Smart TV. There are some Irish XBMC apps and plugins, Rte Player etc

• Registered Users Posts: 10,020 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Advice Please??

Logitech Revue

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭polaris68

I have a Revue and it is a great device, however Logitech have discontinued making it and there are doubts if they will support it into the future (providing updates etc).

Lots of unhappy people on the Revue support forum:

http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Revue/bd-p/revue

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭phobia2011

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    You could build a pc for €200 and run XBMC on it, better than any set top box or Smart TV. There are some Irish XBMC apps and plugins, Rte Player etc

Or

Jailbreak Apple TV to run Xbmc

• Advertisement

phobia2011 wrote: »
    Or

Jailbreak Apple TV to run Xbmc

It doesn't do full 1080p HD, 720p only

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    It doesn't do full 1080p HD, 720p only

latest version will, not sure is JB available yet though

latest version will, not sure is JB available yet though

Not jailbroken and no XBMC hack for it yet. It's only new, could be a while off. You'd also need to wait to see if they get 1080p working properly.

Agreed

Yet being the key word, still at 99e a snip.

Agreed

Yet being the key word, still at 99e a snip.

It's pointless recommending it until it is. It's very limited without Jailbreak. I read they're having trouble jailbreaking the hardware, it's DRM is harder to crack than previous versions.

• Advertisement
Advertisement