Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice :(

• 03-06-2012 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

advice needed :( i have been a victim to a tragic loss in the last few days , my father has past away and its all i can tink about , i am sittin my junior cert this wednesday and i am in no way in the frame of mind for studing , i am very worried this will have a negative impact on my results but i dont know what to do ... any suggestions greatly appericeated ? :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Stalin and rugby

Forget about exams. They don't matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 catlin.

Forget about exams. They don't matter.

i do wish it was that easy , although only a junior cert my mam is worrien that im not able for school with all that has happend , i want to prove her rong ,

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭smithy77

Sorry to hear about that. Really puts things into perspective. Your grief should come first, besides its just the Junior Cert so don't worry about your exams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

My condolences to you and your family and I am sorry for your loss.

It's a long long time since I did my Junior Cert (actually Inter Cert when I did it) but I will say to you: there are more important things in life than your school exams.

I can't even remember my Leaving Cert results, let alone my Inter Cert. Things have always worked out well for me and I am happy in life.

Family and friends are important.

Maybe call a teacher/principal and see what they suggest?

I think if you only did a few exams (or none) it won't make a huge difference in the larger scheme of life.

Only do the exams if you feel you can.

I'll be thinking of you and wish you the best whatever choice you make.

:)

foxinsox wrote: »
    My condolences to you and your family and I am sorry for your loss.

It's a long long time since I did my Junior Cert (actually Inter Cert when I did it) but I will say to you: there are more important things in life than your school exams.

I can't even remember my Leaving Cert results, let alone my Inter Cert. Things have always worked out well for me and I am happy in life.

Family and friends are important.

Maybe call a teacher/principal and see what they suggest?

I think if you only did a few exams (or none) it won't make a huge difference in the larger scheme of life.

Only do the exams if you feel you can.

I'll be thinking of you and wish you the best whatever choice you make.

i will take all into consideration , thank you for support , means alot :)

• Advertisement

smithy77 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about that. Really puts things into perspective. Your grief should come first, besides its just the Junior Cert so don't worry about your exams.

thank you , and ill try not 2 ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

catlin. wrote: »
    i do wish it was that easy , although only a junior cert my mam is worrien that im not able for school with all that has happend , i want to prove her rong ,

There's no need to prove her wrong. You're going through a lot right now, and she understands that, as would anyone else. The junior cert has absolutely no bearing on what you do in life. Honestly, the week after the results it's forgotten about and nobody cares how you did. Don't worry about the exams, you have enough on your mind as it is.

yeah , starting to see that now , thanks ,

It might actually be that easy..

Call the school and see what they suggest..

Honestly, mothers are always right :rolleyes: may take years to see it but in hindsight they are always right, maybe you need some time away from school and exams really don't mean a whole lot.

What does your Mam think you should do?

It might actually be that easy..

Call the school and see what they suggest..

Honestly, mothers are always right :rolleyes: may take years to see it but in hindsight they are always right, maybe you need some time away from school and exams really don't mean a whole lot.

What does your Mam think you should do?

she wants us not to sit exams , i have a brother doing his leaving cert whose pretty much on the same boat as me :( no study can be done so mam suggested holding of on exams for the summer ,,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Catlin I think it's very brave and admirable what you're doing. While it may be difficult to study it would be a distraction at least and there really is no great importance to the Junior Cert. If you're keen to take the exams it shows a lot of character and that level of commitment tells me you'll do well.

As for your brother that's a tough situation to be in. If he wants to take his exams I'd let him but if he was iffy about doing them I'd take the Summer off which is completely understandable.

My condolences and positive thoughts to you and your family.

Catlin I think it's very brave and admirable what you're doing. While it may be difficult to study it would be a distraction at least and there really is no great importance to the Junior Cert. If you're keen to take the exams it shows a lot of character and that level of commitment tells me you'll do well.

As for your brother that's a tough situation to be in. If he wants to take his exams I'd let him but if he was iffy about doing them I'd take the Summer off which is completely understandable.

My condolences and positive thoughts to you and your family.

i will pass him on the advice , i do hope so , thank you very much , your help is appericeated :)

she wants us not to sit exams , i have a brother doing his leaving cert whose pretty much on the same boat as me :( no study can be done so mam suggested holding of on exams for the summer ,,

Your Mam may be right to suggest this.

I'm not qualified to tell you about exams or if there is an option to postpone them.

Maybe a teacher on here might be able to help if they see this thread.

I did have a quick google for you but couldn't find any recent links.

If I was you I wouldn't be worried about doing the Junior Cert, your brother should seek advice from his school and see if there is an option of postponing the Leaving Cert?

I know it's hard, but don't worry about school right now.

Your Mam may be right to suggest this.

I'm not qualified to tell you about exams or if there is an option to postpone them.

Maybe a teacher on here might be able to help if they see this thread.

I did have a quick google for you but couldn't find any recent links.

If I was you I wouldn't be worried about doing the Junior Cert, your brother should seek advice from his school and see if there is an option of postponing the Leaving Cert?

I know it's hard, but don't worry about school right now.

ill take that on bord :) thanks for your help :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The exams cannot be postponed, but a note can be put with your brother's papers indicating he had a recent bereavement. Your school Examinations Secretary will organise it with the Reasonable Accommodations section in Athlone.

I have corrected a paper where a candidate had come in early to sit their exam before a parent's funeral. They did extraordinarily well. I think perhaps they welcomed the chance to concentrate on something other than the funeral.

If you don't feel like sitting the Junior, don't - it's not the end of the world.
    For your brother, the Leaving will be there next year too, but there is more riding on his sitting it this year, with college entry etc., but again, it's up to him. There is no rule saying you have to sit it this year.

Sorry for your loss.

spurious wrote: »
    The exams cannot be postponed, but a note can be put with your brother's papers indicating he had a recent bereavement. Your school Examinations Secretary will organise it with the Reasonable Accommodations section in Athlone.

I have corrected a paper where a candidate had come in early to sit their exam before a parent's funeral. They did extraordinarily well. I think perhaps they welcomed the chance to concentrate on something other than the funeral.

If you don't feel like sitting the Junior, don't - it's not the end of the world.
    For your brother, the Leaving will be there next year too, but there is more riding on his sitting it this year, with college entry etc., but again, it's up to him. There is no rule saying you have to sit it this year.

Sorry for your loss.
    we have both decided to sit the exams thinking mabey it will take our mind of of it , thanks everyone for advice and support , much appericeated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I have another option which may work out for you. Your school may allow you to do transistion year next year but sit the junior cert at the end of TY.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭fizzyorange

I'd say sit the exams personally. Might give you something to stay occupied with.

But more importantly I'm very sorry for your loss.

thank you both , i will take all into consideration :)

Advertisement