Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is 4rth year really a waste of time?

• 03-06-2012 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

I just finished fourth year and I'm going into 5th but I've been hearing a lot of people saying that it was a waste of time and it would make you lazy and you won't be able to get back into study mode for the following year.

Is this true?
    Is it hard to study after, what I felt, was a complete waste of a year?

I don't think it benefitted me and Im wondering because I want to do medicine, which as you all know, is very hard to achieve?

any thoughts on this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Nah. Fourth year's grand, it'll be grand, it's all grand.

...my mentality after doing fourth year :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Stalin and rugby

Yup it's pretty much a waste I think. If you're born in '95 then there are a good few peeps your age now doing the Leaving cert whilst you're going into 5th year.

That gives them a 2 year advantage. Now considering you want medicine and considering how competitive it is, you're going to have a pretty tough time competing. (or maybe not who knows :pac:)

Either way good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

If you really want to, keep up study through 4th year. I did ty, and I'm just finished 5th year.
    I've drastically changed my mind about what college course I want in the past year so I can safely assume this time next year I'll have changed my mind again. (Hopefully for the better!)

It's an extra year to make your mind up about things, choose subjects, and most importantly, just chill out and make friends.
    It's hard going back into 5th year, no doubt, but you feel like you want to work again, after ty you will feel incredibly stupid for a while!

Everyone in my year bar 1 person did ty, and I'm sure only a couple wish they hadn't done it (people who have changed their mind about going to college and just wish to be out of education as quickly as possible.)

It's your decision, but for me, it was a fantastic year and I learned a lot of things. Real things, not learning off notes just to pass one test.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭It neny!

finality wrote: »
    Nah. Fourth year's grand, it'll be grand, it's all grand.

...my mentality after doing fourth year :D

It was my mentality too up until about a week ago :P:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

The OP just finished TY, ff.

I'm doing my leaving in 3 days and I skipped TY. 5th year was easier than 3rd year so it was almost like a breath of fresh air, and everyone who did it in my year regrets it now that me and my friends have finished. On the other hand lots of my friends really enjoyed it so its down to preference. If you really want medicine just work hard, no reason why a year out should stop you :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Seriously though, fourth year's only a waste of time if you let it be. I did a lot of things in fourth year that are now really handy for a CV.

You seem fairly determined to do well, so regardless of whether you did fourth year, the only one that can prevent you from doing well is yourself. You can do nothing and blame fourth year, or you can put the work in and get the course you want.

That said, fourth year absolutely ruined my Irish and German. We did pretty much nothing in those classes for the entire year. I got my German up to scratch by doing a summer course but sadly my Irish has never recovered from the experience. If you've done nothing in your languages all year, it might be an idea to do a bit of work on them over the summer or to do a summer course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 49 Misty May

It depends on the person really. 4th year was a bad idea for my son who just became lazy & didn't get back into study mode until Easter of 6th year. He did reasonably well in his leaving cert but was capable of doing much better. If you are aware that you need to get into study mode once you start 5th year and actually do the work then transition year is a good idea, otherwise forget it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Stalin and rugby

Patchy~ wrote: »
    The OP just finished TY, ff.

I'm doing my leaving in 3 days and I skipped TY. 5th year was easier than 3rd year so it was almost like a breath of fresh air, and everyone who did it in my year regrets it now that me and my friends have finished. On the other hand lots of my friends really enjoyed it so its down to preference. If you really want medicine just work hard, no reason why a year out should stop you :)

You '95 or '94?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

'95, I'm a baby. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

4th year really depends on the person and on the school. But seeing as you've already finished 4th year it's irrelevant really. I did it myself, and I did find it tough to get back into some things, but that feeling lasted about 2 weeks max and then it was gone. Like finality, I found languages most difficult to get into, whereas subjects like biology or chemistry were pretty grand from day 1 because it was more or less a clean slate. If you're focused and want to achieve, you'll be able to get back into the swing of things no problem :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

Nah it wasn't a waste. It did take me a while to get working in 5th year but that was just me being lazy :D You still have plenty of time to start studying and get medicine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

it really was a waste of time for me, i didn't change my mind about what i wanted to do at all and it just made me lazy, couldn't get back to the study state of mind until 6th year, thankfully i worked my arse off in 6th year and did get what i want but i think it would have been easier if i'd gone into 5th year straight away plus i'd be going into 3rd year of college instead of 2nd in september!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

An utter waste of time. I wasnt much of a studier before it and it didnt change my game after. I just remember going in and just sitting around all day, a true flaw of the education system. Would recommend any student, if they can, avoid it.

Advertisement