Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biology experiments! Which ones are you doing? Quick!

• 03-06-2012 5:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭

Which Bio experiments are you guys covering (minimum)? It's def too late to cover every single experiment but I'd say I could cover half of them to a good standard and if I could narrow the range of experiments down to a quarter of that I'd say I'll be grand. What experiments would yis say have a good chance of coming up/should definitely be done this year then so?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Stalin and rugby

Don't mean to sound like a bellend here but what do you mean it's too late to study them all? There's like 20 and half of them are either counting bubbles or taking pulse etc...

Learn them all bro they take like 10minutes each. Jou can do't!

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭deathbythelc

It's definitely not too late to learn them all! They're all relatively short and there's nothing too complex going on in them.

Just sit down with your book, a refill pad and learn them. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭smithy77

It took me just over an hour 2 learn all of them. Just learn why you do things in the experiments and the diagrams.. Then do an exam question or 2 on them:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Mayo_Boy

smithy77 wrote: »
    It took me just over an hour 2 learn all of them. Just learn why you do things in the experiments and the diagrams.. Then do an exam question or 2 on them:cool:

Please tell me how you managed to do this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 ManTheSam

Know the DNA isolation, heart dissection, food tests, auxin and photosynthesis experiments. You only have to learn two a day until next Tuesday though.

• Advertisement

Our biology class was given sheets on all the experiments with a diagram and notes on what has been asked before in the exam and why do you do certain things e.g. In the DNA isolation exp. Use washing up liquid/detergent to break down cell membrane to release DNA. It was nicely laid out and that's why it didn't take long:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

It took 2 hours to learn them all. They're very basic and half of the experiments involve simple, almost common sense procedures. IAA and heart dissection may require longer amounts of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

Most of the biology experiments are grand! All you need to know is the basic procedure (and most importantly WHY you do certain things), any chemicals/materials used (e.g. sodium alginate, yeast, calcium chloride for the immobilised enzyme experiment), the results and a control. There's really not much else to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

The Enzymes ones are popular (I think it'll be pH this year)
    Transverse of a dicot stem (Came up last year but popular)
    Dna isolation

biohaiid wrote: »
    The Enzymes ones are popular (I think it'll be pH this year)
    Transverse of a dicot stem (Came up last year but popular)
    Dna isolation

Wish that hadn't come up last year. My favourite experiment to do questions on. I have a strange love for those dicot stems. :')

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭rosualt

And you do NOT need to know the quantities of the chemicals! You may already have known that but I didn't :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

Test for Fat hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Mayo_Boy

Martin_94 wrote: »
    Test for Fat hopefully

If only. The easiest experiment EVER!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Quick question, whats the exact function of IAA in the IAA experiment. I saw it in a paper and I just wasn't quite sure of what the phrasing is :S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭fizzyorange

Chuchoter wrote: »
    Quick question, whats the exact function of IAA in the IAA experiment. I saw it in a paper and I just wasn't quite sure of what the phrasing is :S

It's a growth promoter for plants. Without auxin nothing would grow in that experiment. Without auxin you wouldn't have an experiment on the affects of different IAA solutions...

That is a ridic q, please tell me it was from a sample paper?

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭123 LC

Without auxin nothing would grow in that experiment. Without auxin you wouldn't have an experiment on the affects of different IAA solutions

but i thought the seed with the distilled water still grew? (the control) we didn't actually do the experiment in school so i could be wrong!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

rosualt wrote: »
    And you do NOT need to know the quantities of the chemicals! You may already have known that but I didn't :P

What? :O
    You dont need to mention quantities at all, or like it doesnt matter if you get them wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭fizzyorange

123 LC wrote: »
    but i thought the seed with the distilled water still grew? (the control) we didn't actually do the experiment in school so i could be wrong!

Oh god. That I meant but now that I look back on what I typed I realize I said wouldn't grow instead of it wouldn't make a difference in growth if you didn't use auxin.

At least I isn't do that in the exam! :pac:

For the DNA isolation experiment u need 2 know that the blender is on for 3 seconds:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

Chuchoter wrote: »

IAA stimulates the growth of shoots and roots, but at the level of IAA concentration required for growth in the shoot, the root cells growth is inhibited and the root cells contract.

• Advertisement

reznov wrote: »
    IAA stimulates the growth of shoots and roots, but at the level of IAA concentration required for growth in the shoot, the root cells growth is inhibited and the root cells contract.

Wait, do the root cells contract? I thought that growth was just inhibited... Not reversed? :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

You dont need to mention quantities at all, or like it doesnt matter if you get them wrong?

You don't need to mention them at all! Though for something like the IAA experiment you'd have to mention the serial dilution, and it might be useful to mention quantities there. But for anything else you can just mention the chemicals, no need for quantities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

leaveiton wrote: »

You don't need to mention them at all! Though for something like the IAA experiment you'd have to mention the serial dilution, and it might be useful to mention quantities there. But for anything else you can just mention the chemicals, no need for quantities.

Yes, for the serial dilution I think you've to mention that it's 1% g/v or whatever it is!

Advertisement