Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woodworm in attic

• 03-06-2012 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

I have today found a fairly widespread infestation of woodworm in the attic of my cottage. Wood appears structurally sound, but lots of new holes everywhere and a good few dead bugs around.
    The attic is fairly cramped and tight, but they are definitely widespread.

Can I get a company to smoke bomb the whole place and guarantee they are dead, and wood is protected? Any idea of price ranges? Is there any better solution?

Will be ringing rentokill ASAP but just wanted to see if anyone had any helpful advice.

On an aside,-from a quick look at my home insurance, damage due to woodworm appears not to be covered, would this be normal?

Thanks in advance, worried Brian.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

Initially it is important to confirm it is actually woodworm then decide your attack plan. I refurbed a bungalow in the UK 5 years ago and had similar problem in some of the attic timbers.

I sprayed all the wood, both infested and clean, with boron, which is available in a DIY kit form. It is a pain to do as you need to clear out the attic of everything including insulation and basically drown the wood. It is also a pain having to dress up in protective clothing, masks, gloves shoes etc, and is hot and sweaty work.

Having said all that the stuff cost me £100 with a sprayer. I had a quote at the time from a well known pest control company.....£2,500 !!!! As far as I know there has been no re-infestation.

As far as I know it is a rare policy that covers woodworm.....can you imagine the excess on that?

TT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 439 ✭✭North West

Hi
    give Protim Ireland a ring. They have a survey and spray team on hand to look at your job. Always use the professionals because they are qualified to do the work.
    NW

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

+1 with NW

Advertisement