Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden Shed; Wooden or Metal

• 03-06-2012 6:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭

In middle of getting garden shed, what are the main pros and cons of getting a metal shed as opposed to a metal shed ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭celticcrash

It matters where you plan to put the shed. If its in view from the windows of your house than I would go for a solid wood shed. Just for aesthetics.
    The metal shed would last longer but they can be ugly looking.
    The metal shed needs a concrete base opposed to the wooden shed that can be simply put on blocks. I myself have a 14 by 6 wooden shed. I have it seven years and its solid as a rock. Ronsel 5 years satin clear varnish does a good job. I have seen people buy cheap lapwood sheds and after 2 years they fall apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,964 ✭✭✭Liamalone

I have a wooden 15'x10' shed myself, only got it a few months ago right enough - a relation has a metal one and the doors are bent n buckled and it's only two years old, probably due to her kids though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

If you're getting a wooden one get one with a metal roof, I have my garden shed for a girl's playhouse (10X10) on laid blocks and it's 100% after around 8 years, gets two coats of paint every two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Final Approach

Also, with a wooden shed you can screw bits and pieces onto the interior walls, e.g. brackets for holding tools etc, shelves for paint tins, bicycle holders, which for me would be a significant advantage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

The main differences are.
    Wooden Sheds, on blocks, maintenance,

Steel Sheds, concrete slab, maintenance free.

many timber sheds, including mine, are in a corner or against a wall, where regular maintenance is impossible, and eventually they fall apart.

Cost, timber sheds are less expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Metal shed all the way
    I threw out my wooden shed after about 12 yrs a few yrs back for a metal one from Clane Sheds. 16'8" x 8'
    Its on concrete blocks...you only need a concrete base if you plan to put a car in it
    The only pro i can see with wooden sheds over metal is price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Metal sheds -- massive condensation inside unless they are dry lined and insulated. Concrete floor necessary. Otherwise, minimal maintenance. More expensive but better in the long term if insulated.

Wooden sheds -- not damp-proof and needing annual maintenance (preservatives, possibility of rot). Roofs covered with the useless roofing felt that's normally used, leaking regularly and needing replacement every few years.

I have a wooden shed that I use for general storage of junk, but it is damp and not suitable for storing expensive garden tools and equipment. I also have a steel shed that I took the trouble to fully insulate and dry-line with 9mm ply. It's as dry as a bone and it preserves my equipment well. It cost me at least twice as much as the wooden shed, but I don't have my mower and shredder etc. rusting quietly away! That, to me, is a saving.

ART6 wrote: »
    Metal sheds -- massive condensation inside unless they are dry lined and insulated.

bit of an over exageration

I've had my shed in 2yr with no condensation issues

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Lucky you. The last shed I had, concrete block with metal roof - massive condensation that literally saturated everything inside so it was unusable. I now have a wood cabin. Much better in all respects except maintainance, which is worth it to me.

The inside of the roof in mine has a lining on it which helps to prevent condensation, so I was told. Seems to work and came as standard

• Advertisement
Advertisement