Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geography (Geoecology) 2010 Question

• 03-06-2012 6:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭

]Hi, so in 2010 Q.17 the question came up:

Examine two ways in which human activities have impacted on soils.

For this i'd do Overcropping, Overgrazing and Desertification. But, it said in the questions 2 ways humans have influenced soils. So I checked the marking scheme and it said:

How can you do 2 Human activities and talk about 3/4 aspects? Does that mean you can do Overcropping, overgrazing and desertification or just 2 of these?

Thanks for any replies!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭treely

In my essay I start by saying:

Two ways in which humans influence soils are damaging soil structure and increasing soil erosion. Overcroppin, overgrazing and desertification all contribute to these factors...

or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭deathbythelc

I'm just a little confused about that question in general...

To me, overcropping and overgrazing (and deforestation) affects soils but results in desertification. So I wouldn't include desertification as one of my factors, but rather discusss it at the end, saying that 'overcropping and overgrazing resulted in the spread of desert conditions (desertification) in this biome...etc.'

Is that wrong, or? I don't know.. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Does anyone want to tell me if what I wrote counts as SRP'S? I'll do it out in bulletpoints to make it easier for y'all?
    1. Overgrazing occurs when farmers overstock their lands with too many animals (cows, sheep and goats)
    2. This increases soil erosion and damages soil structure as animals eat vegetation cover and their hooves dig into the soil, compacting it.
    3. This prevents grass growth, reduces fertility and reduces ability for water to percoulate into the soil
    4. Dry soils are easily eroded by wind. Once the vegetation cover is removed, the soils structure is damaged and its ability to hold water and nutrients is reduced.
    5. Soil structure is important as plant roots and water are found in the spaces between peds. Peds are small grains in the soil that are held together by water and humus.
    6. There are many different types of peds. The most common in Ireland is the rounded crumb structure, which is best for fertility, aeriation and water content.
    7. Overgrazing has occured in West Mayo in Ireland (SRP for example?)
    8. EU Farm subsidies (CAP) encouraged farmers to overstock land with sheep/goats. Since then, the fragile boglands of west mayo have never improved their loss of fertility and are very poor at grass and crop production

Would this stuff count as 8xSRP's all together? Did it in less than 6 minutes, so I could spend a minute or 2 more adding SRP's if it was necessary?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 63 ✭✭dovahkiin

This one must learn to adapt if this one is to survive

dovahkiin wrote: »
    This one must learn to adapt if this one is to survive
    ? :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Astrozombies

That question's a tricky one, my teacher said ALOT of people didn't do well in it that year because they misread the terms of the question.
    your SRPS seem okay, I'd add the two more tho, if they only take two minutes.
    Discuss only two factors i.e overcropping/overgrazing and then your aspects should be in what way exactly humans activities have led to these two factors (4 srps on each factor)

That question's a tricky one, my teacher said ALOT of people didn't do well in it that year because they misread the terms of the question.
    your SRPS seem okay, I'd add the two more tho, if they only take two minutes.
    Discuss only two factors i.e overcropping/overgrazing and then your aspects should be in what way exactly humans activities have led to these two factors (4 srps on each factor)

Thanks! I'm considering not learning it and learning how climate affects the characteristics of a biome instead.

Then i'd basically have the Characteristics of a Biome question learnt also, so i'd have:
    • Composition/Characteristics of Brown Earths
    • Factors that Influence Soil Characteristics
    • Plant/Animal Adaptations to a Biome
    • How Climate Influences Characteristics of a Biome
    • Characteristics of a Biome

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

You could do it positively and negatively?

Negative:
    Overcropping
    Overgrazing
    Deforestation

Positive:
    Stone lines
    Contour Ploughing

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Astrozombies

Thanks! I'm considering not learning it and learning how climate affects the characteristics of a biome instead.

Then i'd basically have the Characteristics of a Biome question learnt also, so i'd have:
    • Composition/Characteristics of Brown Earths
    • Factors that Influence Soil Characteristics
    • Plant/Animal Adaptations to a Biome
    • How Climate Influences Characteristics of a Biome
    • Characteristics of a Biome

That's loads! ... I'm starting geo-ecology tomorrow :L But I only did it at the end of april so it's fresh in my head :rolleyes:
    Been so consumed with learning off every possible essay for regional, physical, and my elective! feels good to have it all covered tho :)

That's loads! ... I'm starting geo-ecology tomorrow :L But I only did it at the end of april so it's fresh in my head :rolleyes:
    Been so consumed with learning off every possible essay for regional, physical, and my elective! feels good to have it all covered tho :)
    I have hardly any Regional covered, and I need an A1. Can't believe its in 4 days..

• Advertisement
Advertisement