Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why are Laser cards so useless?

• 03-06-2012 6:48pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭

Is there any particular reason why Irish banks give you Laser cards which barely work anywhere online? And then charge you for the pleasure of it?

I have a UK account with HSBC, same type of account, no bull**** annual fees, and a Visa card that actually works. Why is this so hard for Irish banks to emulate?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

i think most banks are changing to visa debit soon enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

I left AIB because of this. I asked them had they any plans to bring in Visa Debit and the girl said not that she knew so off to Ulster Bank with me. It did get me wondering why though. I suppose is it in the bank's interest to try and get me to get one of their credit cards hence why no visa debit option? Is a customer in debt to the bank, spending what they don't have beneficial to the bank?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

I left AIB because of this. I asked them had they any plans to bring in Visa Debit and the girl said not that she knew so off to Ulster Bank with me. It did get me wondering why though. I suppose is it in the bank's interest to try and get me to get one of their credit cards hence why no visa debit option? Is a customer in debt to the bank, spending what they don't have beneficial to the bank?

AIB intend to roll out Visa Debit this year, Bank of Ireland are rolling them out at the moment

AIB

Bank of Ireland

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Got my new Visa debit card from BOI this week.
    There is a thread here on the BOI rollout of Visa debit cards..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Ulster and ptsb already have them. BOI are rolling them out and AIB are also introducing them this year. NIB are the only major bank left that hasn't changed or announced a change. They are already emulating - they have been for quite a while. It's only a shame it wasn't sooner.

Many of the UK banks (including HSBC) stuck with Switch for many years which was only somewhat more useful.

To be fair, Laser was never designed for online usage etc - that was only something which came into general use after the scheme was set up.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

What would be the best way for me to purchase something on Amazon so? Transferring money from my AIB acct to my HSBC (UK) acct would no doubt incur some ridiculous transaction fee... would I be best off just withdrawing the money at an ATM and depositing in my HSBC account (I'm currently in the UK so could do this), then purchasing online?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

What would be the best way for me to purchase something on Amazon so? Transferring money from my AIB acct to my HSBC (UK) acct would no doubt incur some ridiculous transaction fee... would I be best off just withdrawing the money at an ATM and depositing in my HSBC account (I'm currently in the UK so could do this), then purchasing online?

Either withdraw then deposit to HSBC or get one of those prepaid credit cards.

Advertisement